mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Wrong size Ti Fly??? Please advise

Hello everyone - I'm new to Moto and now the proud owner of 2 new Moto's - The Fantom DS 16" and the Ti Fly "16" - I have a few questions as to sizing the Fly - I'm just under 5'8 with an inseam of 30" - and I have 2 road bikes - one is 52cm and the other is a 53cm, I got the Fly Ti 5 days ago and proceeded to assemble and stand in amazement at the shear beauty and value of this TI Fly. I installed Eggbeaters - bottle cages - set up the front fork etc. and today I took it our for its maiden ride - BUT - I had to adjust the seat post to the maximum extension - the ride felt comfortable - but I'm concerned about the seat post being at the maximum - should I get a longer post - my riding posiiton was great and I could spin and climb - but would I have been better off with the 18" size - which is 48cm - I thought that the rule of thumb was that your Mt. Bike should be 10-12 cm less that your road bike size - so having a 53cm road translates into a 43cm or 16" Mt. Bike size.

So - please - all you Moto lovers out there - help make me feel that I made the right sizing decision - but the way - the Fantom DS 16" did not need that much of a seat post adjustment - could it be that the standard seat post size on the 16" frame is spec to small?

Looking forward to hearing from all of you and I'm so happy to have found Bikesdirect.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dkchips
    Looking forward to hearing from all of you and I'm so happy to have found Bikesdirect.
    At just under 5'8" you should have got the 18". It has 22.4" top tube, yours is an inch shorter.

Setback post and longer stem?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've got a 30" inseam and always go for a 18" on MTB's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Bike fit is a very personal thing. If you are comfortable on the bike and it performs well then the size is probably just fine. I am 5' 10" with a 33" inseam and my Fly is an 18", my Jamis is a 17" and my seatpost is fully extended. I personally prefer smaller frames on mountain bikes. My road bike is a 56cm.

The top tube length really is more important than seat tube length. Does yours feel to short? I know the Fly Ti has a short top tube length for its size.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

Gringo
    If you are comfortable, you are good to go.

My XC (Stumpjumper) hardtail is a 19" and I'm 6'4, and have the seat fully extended. It's a perfect fit, the 18" was too small and the 21" was too large. I did bend a couple of posts before finding a ribbed Control Tech that has lasted for a long time. Typical shop owners would have tried to put me on a 21", and would have been wrong.

If you feel you're cramped by a short top tube length then stem changes may be in order, but that didn't seem to be an issue so I wouldn't worry.

Enjoy the ride.

G.

Former Bike Wrench
    Totally agree with ljsmith...top tube length is the more critical measurement but its really up to the individual rider. I'm somewhat built like an orangutan (short legs, long torso and arms). If I were to size my bikes to my inseam and standover, at 6' tall I'd be on 18" bikes most of the time. But that would leave the frame super cramped for reach. On most 26ers, I have rode 19.5" frames with at least 23.5" (horizontal) top tube length. Anything shorter requires me to run very long stems (135mm+). I actually prefer a 24.5" top tube so I can run something closer to a 100mm stem...most 19.5" frames have me using a 120mm stem with 9 degree swept bars.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Thanks

Actually my older Stumpjumper M2 Hardtail - which has an 18" seat tube and an effective top tube of 23" - the effective top tube of my Fly TI 16" is 22" - my concern is the full extension of my Rirchey WCS seatpost to the highest position - Does anyone konw what the seat post lenght is on my Fly TI? and would I or can I find a 400 or 440mm seatpost lenght that will do for me? The cockpit is not all that bad - When I get down in the grips - the handlebars obscure the front axel and I know that this is a good sign - BUT - really - the question is - Would I be safer and more comfortable if I had the 18" frame - this way I have an extra 1" of top tube and I don't have to run the seat post to the Maximum mark.

I emailed Mike at BD and asked if he'd accomodate me and let me return the 16" - i'd purhcase the 18" in advance - then re-pack that box with the 16" to retuen using all of the packing material. I'd - of course - pay for freight both ways - what do you guys think? Let it go - will Mike listen - or what ?

Thanks,

DKCHIPS

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    If you decide to go for the 18", I can take the 16" off your hands with a little discount.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi,

Well that sounds really good - BD gave me an RMA to return the 16" Fly - I've only ridden it 1x - 25 miles total - I have to check with Bikesdirect if they have any more 18" ones left - If they do - I'll sell you the Ti Fly 16" - packed by my bike shop and shipped to you with all freight fees included for $1,975 = just let me know -email me with your email address and we can arrange a payment via PaYPal

Regards,

David