mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Windsor Cliff29 Pro or Team

Well, I spent the weekend checking out 29ers and I've pretty well settled on a Windsor Cliff29 size Large. (I am tempted by the Raleigh XXIX+G and KHS Tucsan, either of which I can get locally for $1000.) Now it's a matter of whether I get the Pro or Team.

What's the general consensus? Are the upgrades worth the extra $210 or 25%?

RockShox Reba SL w/ Poplock vs Tora 318
    TruVativ Firex 3.1 GXP vs 5D 3.1
    Sram X-9 vs X-7
    WTB Laser Disc Trail vs Speed Disc
    Avid Juicy 7 vs Juicy 5

I've read a few negative comments about the Reba SL, but those were conditioned on running it 100mm, which I don't think I would do, and I'm only about 165 lbs.

Both of these bikes are better than I am a rider, but I'd like to maximize my value and get something I'll be happy with for a long time. Previous bike was a Trek 6500 Disc, which was stolen and is missed dearly. At 6'1", the 29ers are a very nice fit.

Also, I will likely buy the Windsor locally at a Houston Cycle Spectrum. Anyone have experience with their build quality?

Thanks.

Bob

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I say go for the Team. The upgraded fork and wheels will make the bike much lighter. Additionally the Juicy 7s are much easier to adjust than the 5s due to the pad adjustment knob.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I just picked up the team a few weeks ago and love it. The Juicy 7's are nice, but the reba is awesome!...imo
    Go for it.

mtbr member
    Yes, it is absolutely worth it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatlands
    I just picked up the team a few weeks ago and love it. The Juicy 7's are nice, but the reba is awesome!...imo
    Go for it.
    Do you have any pictures of the bike?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I can snap a few real quick for ya. Any parts you want a closeup of?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    you ever make a decision foglesre?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatlands
    I can snap a few real quick for ya. Any parts you want a closeup of?
    Doesn't matter. Few pics work.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Didn't feel like starting a whole new thread for this Q but bikesdirect says it's going to keep the price at $979 for the team until Jan.1 so should I buy the bike now or do you think the price will actually be lowered?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I would expect a price increase, not a decrease.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by fireflock
    I would expect a price increase, not a decrease.

We are trying very hard to hold prices as they are

Most bikes have gone up a lot - but we are trying to reduce overhead expenses and drive better deals on transportation, insurance, etc to hold prices

I think bikes are expensive enough without all these increases that have been coming out lately

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for looking out for us BD

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricClouds
    you ever make a decision foglesre?
    Well, yes I did, but so far it is to no avail. After going out of town for a couple of weeks (diving in Palau), I ordered the Cliff29 Team at a local Cycle Spectrum on Dec 19. Now, a month later, they are still unable to give me an idea when or if they will get the bike. I'm about ready to give up and go buy a Raleigh XXIX+G at an LBS. Very frustrating. I dropped Mike at bikesdirect a PM to see if he can help.

As a side note, I didn't see much discussion over here about this post from Mike on the 29er forum:

"In 2 months there will be a Moto Fantom Pro SL with Reba SL and XT/XTR and Juicy 7 at $995 - which will make two 29er hardtails with truely Pro specs under $1000"

Very interesting, though I get the impression from most on this board that the Fuji-based Windsor frame is a bit better than the Motobecane 29er. Anyone know if the Phantom 29 frame is based on another 29er frame?

Bob