mtbr member
    May 2008

Windsor Cliff 29 Team, need help sizing

I was hoping someone here could give me some real life experience on sizing up a 29er. I am 5'8" tall with a 32" inseam ( with shoes on). I would love to purchase the Cliff 29 Team, but I'm not sure if the small (17 inch) frame is still to big.

Any feed back would be welcome.

Thanks,
    Tom

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'm 5'9" with 32" inseam, and for me that would be about the right size. But personally, I ride a bigger frame than most. I like a longer top tube. This helps my back stretch out, but makes it a bit more difficult on technical trails and standover height is minimal. It's really a personal choice, but I would think a 17" would not be too big for you. As long as you have enough standover height, you can always shorten the stem a bit if you find you need to.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Well....from what I can tell, the small frame should work just fine. I am waiting to hear back from Bikes Direct on availability and shipping. As long as they have one ready to ship, I will make my move tomorrow.

Thanks,
    Tom

mpg
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have a Motobecane Fantom 29. I have been documenting my experience in a blog at:
    http://motobecanefantom29.blogspot.com/

I am 6'0" with a 33.75" standover. I have the 17" frame and it gives me 2" standover clearance and a good top tube length.

The Cliff has a different geometry. According to the sizing chart the Small frame has a standover of 785.1mm which is 30.9". This would be OK. The 15" Fantom Pro has a standover of 30.5" which would be slightly better with the top tube only 0.2 inches shorter than the Cliff.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I went ahead and ordered the small frame today. As I've been finding out, the top tube measurement is also very important. So from what I can tell, the small should be a good fit. Worse case, I may have to install a shorter stem.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hi,

I see you already ordered, but according to the sizing chart, the windsor cliff 29 is basically the same frame as the Fuji tahoe 29. So if you can find a Fuji tahoe to ride, it will probably give you an idea of what size you need.

I considered the Windsor Cliff 29 with the full SRAM X9 drivetrain, but decided on the fantom elite in the end.

Let us know how it rides!