Frt Range, CO

Windsor/BD carbon fiber MTB frame

The November issue of MBA has a carbon fiber frame 29er with a Windsor label. I thought Mike was never going to do a CF MTB frame.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Saw the review. Full XTR (including brakes !), sid fork (9mm - why?). They said it was extremely stiff in the vertical plane and could beat you up on long rides, but also accelerated easily. Frame looks exactly like one of the generic carbon frames on ebay. "MSRP" 4k - wonder what it will be when it hits the BD site. I'm gonna guess $2799.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Could you post a scan?

A while back, I was looking at BD's facebook page and they made a post asking if we would ride a carbon mountain bike. I see the connection now.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Sorry, I don't have it. Was reading the issue in a book store.

Frt Range, CO
    And i don't have a scanner

The "vertical stiffness" line is a sop to the advertisers of the boutique bikes. On an MTB, tire pressure dominates any compliance differences between frames. Road bikes for sure, MTBs not so much.

mtbr member
    Looks exactly like the frame Performance uses on their Stealth carbon fiber bike.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    They are on the bikes direct site now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    2013 Windsor Carbon COMP 29er SRAM XO
    29er Bikes with Rockshox REBA RL29 100mm
    + Avid Elixir Hydraulic Disc Brakes

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    If CF is lighter, why are the 3799 cfs 22.3 while the 2999 tis are also 22.3 lbs?
    I guess BD just wants to give people options.
    Both look great. The front axles are 15mm ta.
    It's pronounced "so pro and cool."
    It was an impulse decision.

mtbr member
    I don't think they really put much time into weighing these....but....CF and Ti and be v. close. Looks to be a good replacement policy...my buddy broke his Performance Stealth (look exactly the same) when he wrecked and it hit a tree...had to buy a new frame for $500. Looks like no matter what, you are only paying $100 here. Wow....when you mention in your add first, second, and third frames it really screams high quality. Take a pass on these, there are better bikes for the money and they are stiff as all get out!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've been trying to decide between buying an aluminum Motobecane 29er with good components and then transferring them to a Chinese Carbon frame later or just buying one of the Windsor Carbon bikes from BD. I'm assuming the carbon frames are going to be similar quality no matter which way I go, the only difference would be the initial up front cost and BD may have a better warranty.

I can't seem to find anyone on here who's purchased a Windsor Carbon though.

Homey the Clown
    Jan 2004

Weird TT Lengths

The medium is 23.04, large is 24.28, and xl is 24.4. Why are the larger two so close together? Why not go 23, 23.7, 24.4. BD has some really dumb sizing.

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    The medium is 23.04, large is 24.28, and xl is 24.4. Why are the larger two so close together? Why not go 23, 23.7, 24.4. BD has some really dumb sizing.
    Did you check the stem lengths?
    EDIT: Just checked, 110, 120, 130, I believe. You're right then, that is weird. Prolly justify it some other way though. No way they're gonna screw up their 2nd flagship bike.
    Last edited by sauprankul; 11-27-2012 at 06:14 PM.
    It's pronounced "so pro and cool."
    It was an impulse decision.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sauprankul View Post
    Did you check the stem lengths?
    EDIT: Just checked, 110, 120, 130, I believe. You're right then, that is weird. Prolly justify it some other way though. No way they're gonna screw up their 2nd flagship bike.
    Probably justified by - ritchey had a crapload of those long lengths nobody else wanted and they were really cheap.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Hmm, the version MBA tested with the full xtr doesn't actually exist. Too bad. You get crap avid brakes with all of them. At least the forks are 15mm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Mike had sent a email out having the carbon 29ers for sale now

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Has anyone bought these bike? Looking at the geometry something is not right, the head angle is 72 degree and the seat angle is 65 degree? Usually it's the other way around, the seat angle is steeper than the head. Would like to hear some feedback on this bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Bump. Who is riding one of these? Size specs are similar to a few other hardtail 9ers (briefly compared to Trek, Cannondale, Scott). Can only find the one online review:
    Bike Test: Windsor C29 Pro | News | mountain-bike-action

I have an Ibis Mojo SL that I love. My commuter/bar bike/fun trail ride is a cheap bikesdirect rigid ss 29er. When going from the commuter to the trail rider, the Mojo feels tiny, plus, the local races are won on ht 29ers.

How's the Windsor ride? How's it holding up after a few months of riding?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Anyone?? I'm also wondering if anyone has one of these and can offer up some info. They're on sale right now for a crazy price, almost worth taking the risk!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I will be selling a 19" soon, if anyone is interested.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    How much for the 19"?

And where do you guys see these carbon fiber MTB's on BD? All I see is Ti and Alum mountain bikes, am I crazy ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have a 19" Sram xo 2x10, Stock build ridden 2 times. I'll let it go for $1750 with free shipping.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I tried to put up the bike here on mtbr but the system is down.
    29er Windsor Carbon Team Full XO