mtbr member

Will BikesDirect be coming out with a All-Mountain 650B offering?

I haven't ridden a 650B bike of any sort yet; but I have tried out a couple FS 29er's and I didn't care for how high it seemed I rode on the bike. Granted, I have not taken one out on a proper trail ride to really put one through it's paces yet. I do like advantages a slightly larger wheel may bring for rolling over/through the rough stuff...but I really like the tech stuff on my 26" FS and I don't want the trails to seem too easy either...So I was thinking the 650B might be the perfect compromise.

I currently have a 4" travel FS 26er but expect my next purchase will be a little more all mountain in the 5-7" range.

I'm a do it myself guy who's bought one Motobecane already and steered a friend into a Dawes purchase recently that he is thrilled with; so I'd like to do further business in the future.

I know they check their forum here, so I'd like to know if they are discussing this option? If not, do they know whether one of their 26" or 29" FS frames will accomodate a 650B wheel conversion?

My Brain Hurts!
    I emailed them with the same question. The response was no 650b untill 2014. No other info than that.

Soooo, I am most likely going to pop for a 29'er full suspension Fantom next year then possibly a 650 hard tail in '14...I think my Rincon will be ready for a break (or retirement) by 2014!
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Wish it was sooner but this makes sense in some ways. BD is very careful how they spec their bikes and in 2014 they will have more 650b choices in how they spec wheels, tires and fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    Wish it was sooner but this makes sense in some ways. BD is very careful how they spec their bikes and in 2014 they will have more 650b choices in how they spec wheels, tires and fork.
    That works for me. My current ride was new this year, so it will be a couple years at least before the purse strings can be loosened up enough for an upgrade. I'm just encouraged to hear that they are at the least considering it. I really like the idea of getting the most bang for my buck...since I do my own wrenching especially.

Genius
    I hope not. The last thing our hobby/sport needs is another fad.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bobby9 View Post
    I hope not. The last thing our hobby/sport needs is another fad.
    Disagree 100%. You ride your spec and I'll ride mine. Looking forward to my first 650b and Full Squish bike in '14.

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZmyDust View Post
    Disagree 100%. You ride your spec and I'll ride mine. Looking forward to my first 650b and Full Squish bike in '14.
    I agree!

And to the detractors, yup...mountain bikes were a fad...aluminum frames were a fad, 29'ers were a fad....and on and on....
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfGumby View Post
    I agree!

And to the detractors, yup...mountain bikes were a fad...aluminum frames were a fad, 29'ers were a fad....and on and on....
    As a business owner I will sell anyone, anything they are willing to buy. I have no problem watching others spend money as they see fit. But it's a fad. Bikes are like trendy clothes. The manufacturers have to come out with the "next great thing" every few years so they can sell you guys "something better". Unfortunately, its really not better, its just different. There is no science behind it that says its better, rather its a marketing scheme to get you to buy more, by telling you the bike will somehow make you a better rider which is a falsehood.

30 years ago there was really just one "mountain bike". Now there are 15 genres of the mountain bike and the water has become muddied to the point that most people don't really even know what they REALLY need for the type of riding they actually do. Study after study, test after test, shows no measurable improvement from a 26 to a 29. Where one has an advantage/disadvantage the other has an advantage/disadvantage so in the end its a moot point. This is the same with 650b, where it will have a slight advantage against the others, it will have a disadvantage which will be the equalizer.

I personally would rather see manufacturers continue to improve upon what we already have, rather than introduce a new platform. But alas, most people will still buy into the fad, and then a couple years later not be happy with the 650 and will go onto the the next fad. It's history repeating itself, its predictable, and therefore is a fad.

Bookmark this post and come back in a few years see that this indeed turned out to be true. Until then, enjoy your 650's while you can, before the next fad gets your attention.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

NedwannaB

Trendy Troll

Quote Originally Posted by 6bobby9 View Post
    As a business owner I will sell anyone, anything they are willing to buy. I have no problem watching others spend money as they see fit. But it's a fad. Bikes are like trendy clothes.
    Great buisness perspective. What a hypocrit.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....