mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Will bikes be cheaper in 2009 ?

Oil prices crashing, commodities crashing, China exports down... does this mean bike prices will come down next year ?

mtbr member
    Rampant inflation will ensure that prices for EVERYTHING will go up, and up, and up.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...05277695921912

Get yourself 100% out of debt if you haven't already.

Jan 15th 2009 for me. Home, car, credit cards, all paid off.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

mtbr member
    Nothing will be cheaper in 2009. It is highly unlikely that deflation will set it. It is highly unlikely that dollar will fall significantly compared to Asian currencies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by veefer800canuck

That is a very bad advise. Rampant inflation is an excellent time to hold low fixed rate debt - of course if you are getting tangible returns on it.

I have had cash in the bank to pay off my new car - but chose to take 1.9% financing on it. With money market accounts yields doing quite well - why on earth will I pay off loan that is several percent under inflation? Why would I do that to a fixed rate mortage? Its effective rate this year is essentially zero.

And now may be the best time to actually buy some equities.

Sky is not falling - if you had been prudent.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by veefer800canuck
    Rampant inflation will ensure that prices for EVERYTHING will go up, and up, and up.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...05277695921912

EVENTUALLy there will be iniflation, but right now, deflation (in the short term) is more likely. As I mentioned, commodity prices have crashed. The baltic dry index has crashed, real estate has crashed, grain prices have gone down.

All this means in that bike production costs should go down (as price of fuel, metals goes down). At least for next year.

Bike demand was high this year because of fuel prices. now that they have falled, and the economy has tanked (and will keep on tanking), will the demand stay there or will it also fall ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wearetheborg
    Bike demand was high this year because of fuel prices. now that they have falled, and the economy has tanked (and will keep on tanking), will the demand stay there or will it also fall ?
    Consumer good prices are sticky. Once everybody had to raise it up, nobody will just drop them down as long as they can, unless there is a price war.

I have not seen any price war among bike and component manufacturers (at least for the models that we care about).

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    New quads and dirtbikes cost the same as decent bicycles these days.

Yes, bicycle prices are very high and I doubt they will go down any time soon.

mtbr member
    Prices compare to Europe are much lower on bikes in USA , price of gas in Europe is like 6-8 dollars a gallon so we are very lucky , the only thing people from USA can get lower price is to shop in Europe when the dollar is at the highest point like a week ago. And if anyone wanna get for much less ? you have to buy from Asia like Taiwan , find distributor from Asian bike expo and e-mail - call them. That is the only way to do it and how i know ? i did that last year ..i Email like 20-30 different company's in Asia and ask them for price list , the more you get the lower the price on parts .. 06 - 07 X.0 long cage assy. OEM = $9 - $9,50 plus EMS shipping to USA .. dont email SRAM or SHIMANO etc. they will not help you, you gotta find the distributor or over stock, last year models, warehouse in Asia. Ask them what else they can get or they have.. they be more than glad to help you ..you can start from here http://www.taipeicycle.com.tw