mtbr member

When is the new Moto website due?

When I was buying my Moto last Fall there was a lot of talk about a new product line Mike (?) was working on at Motobecane. As people often request to add or drop certain components over the stock configurations offered.

In any event, it sounded like he was working on a Dell computer style "build your own bike" web site.
    Is that out yet?
    Are any other brands offering that feature?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Figuring Motobecane's website is near barren, and bikesdirect.com looks like it came from 1996, I'd guess 2038 we might see an update.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trueserve
    Figuring Motobecane's website is near barren, and bikesdirect.com looks like it came from 1996, I'd guess 2038 we might see an update.
    ...no no no, you got it all wrong, those barren websites are what keep the costs low for you the consumer!

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Completely new Motobecane site due to open Jan 1 2009
    and it will include more information than ever posted on a bicycle brand site before

My goal is to make the site a ground breaking URL that sets a new standard for providing information to customers

I am open to suggestions
    although I already have pages of personal ideas on this

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KiterTodd
    In any event, it sounded like he was working on a Dell computer style "build your own bike" web site.
    Is that out yet?
    Are any other brands offering that feature?
    I love the idea of a "build your own bike" site. That truly would be sweet. Whenever I buy a bike I always end up switiching a bunch of stuff out for other stuff I like better. It would be great if I could get it the way I want it from the start.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply, Mike! I look forward to that site when it comes up in January.

I'm happy with my Fantom Elite DS, but I know there were some components I wanted off the Team, and other components on my DS that I would have downgraded. It would certainly be worth waiting a little longer on ship time and paying a little more on price to get the exact bike you are looking for (in components and weight).

This goes back to an earlier thread, but since you know the weights of every frame and component, a bike site can easily have a "currently configured weight" tally that shows up along with the price of your configuration. If I want to build a 20 lb bike, I should be able to see what the tradeoffs really are in cost vs. weight on various components. For instance, a wheel upgrade will likely get me a lot more bang for the buck then some smaller carbon components over their aluminum counterparts.

Anyway, I'm going off on a tangent, but I think the site can be really great. The challenge for you will be setting up the distribution network that builds custom to your quality standards. Thanks for asking for input.