Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What size should I choose for Motobecane 700DS

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Starkonian 
#1 ·
It only offers three options: Small/16inches (claimed to up to 5'8''), Medium/18inches(claimed to up to 6'), Large20inches.

I am 5'7.5'', but my upper body is a bit longer than usual. The ideal length should be 17 inches. So I am kinda messing in between.

My main focus is doing trail riding, riding a lot of stairs, and doing some jumps occassionally. Which size should I choose? Any recommendation?

Thanks.

#3 ·
Also looking at Motobecane 700DS

I'm similar sized... 5'7" 195lbs w/ about 29.5" inseam and also not sure if I should get the small or medium. Did you order one, what size did you get, and how does it fit? I have kinda long arms for my height so I'm wondering if that's a factor as well... Thanks!

-Dan

#4 ·
I ordered a 17 inch hardtail- 700HT - instead. The size dilemma is killing me. I received an email suggesting the Small from bikesdirect.

DubyS2k said:
I'm similar sized... 5'7" 195lbs w/ about 29.5" inseam and also not sure if I should get the small or medium. Did you order one, what size did you get, and how does it fit? I have kinda long arms for my height so I'm wondering if that's a factor as well... Thanks!

-Dan

#5 ·
I am 5'7" and I bought a small size frame. The cockpit is a bit cramped. I added an extended stem which helped alot. Also move seat back as far as I could without messing up the pedal stroke. The stand over is plenty. If you like to have a very manueverable bike, the shorter cockpit works well. I got to be very comfortable with it. I do have short legs, 31" inseam. I had mine for three years, passing it down to my 17 year old son. I have decided to move on to a Trek EX8!!!.

#6 ·
IBG_Brooksie said:
I am 5'7" and I bought a small size frame. The cockpit is a bit cramped. I added an extended stem which helped alot. Also move seat back as far as I could without messing up the pedal stroke. The stand over is plenty. If you like to have a very manueverable bike, the shorter cockpit works well. I got to be very comfortable with it. I do have short legs, 31" inseam. I had mine for three years, passing it down to my 17 year old son. I have decided to move on to a Trek EX8!!!.
Since you owned the 700DS for 3 years, I'd like to hear your opinions on the bike. Specifically I'd like to know if the bike gives a pogo stick like ride. Also, how is the suspension travel? From what I can gather it has very little. How did the bike hold up in those 3 years?

#7 · (Edited)
kbohip said:
Since you owned the 700DS for 3 years, I'd like to hear your opinions on the bike. Specifically I'd like to know if the bike gives a pogo stick like ride. Also, how is the suspension travel? From what I can gather it has very little. How did the bike hold up in those 3 years?
My son had a 700DS until he outgrew it this year. It was a well built but heavy bike. The bike was not bouncy nor was it plush. It was very firm with the 650# spring. That being said, the frame on that bike is severely outdated and there are far better designs out now than there were when we bought that bike. I would get a Fantom before I bought another 700DS.

#8 ·
The rear suspension is very stiff and does not provide for a plush ride. I have recently purchased a rock shox ario 3.2 to replace the kind shock. I expect this will help a ton! Not alot of travel, but will be better at absorbing the bumps. The bike has held up great! No issues at all. If your looking for a good dual suspension on a budget with some good hardware, this bike fits the bill. I got to be very comfortable maneuvering this bike. The wheel base is short, and the cockpit a bit cramped. You can fix the cramped cockpit a bit, but the wheel base no. I have no problems recommending this bike to others.

#9 ·
I've had mine for over 3 years. I'm a heavy weight and ride exclusively on rock and root infested single track. No issues.
If you upgrade the suspension it's a surprisingly fun ride. I dropped in a RS 3.3 and Tora u-turn coil fork. Both have motion control and that is a must have feature for this type of older school single pivot frame. Pedal bob on flat to moderate grade climbs is a actually very minimal. I leave the settings wide open except maybe road cruising when I lock everything out. Standing up and mashing on severe climbs I flip on the motion control in the back and front or lock out the front. I have a remote lever for the fork on the bar for on the fly adjustments. The bike weighs 32.5 lbs without pedals with the suspension upgrades. I also upsized the rear shock and have 3.5" of travel in the rear. I crank the Tora all the way down for big climbs and leave it all the way out the rest of the time. I haven't measured the travel on the fork but it's considerably more than the stock Dart.
Buying the 700 with plans to do the nesesary upgrades from the start might not make sense but if you have the bike already it's pretty doable. You can go with the fantom trail or even comp for more money but keep in mind they both have medicore suspension pieces and will probably need upgrading too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.