Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Well I got my 700ds in mail today

I am a newbie and it took me about good 1.5-2 hours to put the bike together with few accessories that i also bought and it did involve cutting the seatpost twice. Everything went fine, but unfortunately I cant get the gears to switch nicely and I did snap one or two lines in the cable to front derailleur (dont think its that bad). will probably bring the bike to the shop to adjust derailleurs. I also did not understand the front shock preload adjustment, and the rear shock spring MUST go. I did search a number of times for the correct size for replacement but was unsuccessful in finding any info.

Before i had a question is 700DS with Dart2 comes with TurnKey Lockout, and I am happy to see that it does.

MTBR Asian Dude
    May 2008
    Ain't it a sturdy bike? I'm sure you'll enjoy it (i know from experience )

So yah, i also figured out the little circular metal disk on the lockout switch is the poploc doohikie. I never really noticed it until now...

the preload adjustment info should be in the suspension owner's manual. Note that the dart 2 has lockout, preload adjusment, and at the bottom rebound adjustment. Quality suspensions.

Stupid for them to put a 850 lb spring there. I haven't replaced mine yet.

Did yours come with the WTB black andonized speed rims?
    Me:
    Honors Chemical Engineering undergraduate student at the University of Washington
    Bike:
    2008 Motobecane 700DS

mtbr member
    May 2008
    yes it came with WTB black rims

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    About the rear spring, I contacted Kindshock thru their email and it took them 3 weeks to get back to me. They asked 3 questions ( general info ) and I responded back ASAP. Well I haven't received anything at all from them and it's been 2 months now. Anyways you can get a FOX spring that has the same ID and OD, fits perfect without having to buy a whole new shock. I bought mine here http://www.webmountainbike.com/foxcoilsprings.html

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I understand what 450, 600 etc. means, but which do I need 2.80'', 2.xx, 3.00 ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You are looking at 1.50 or 1.60. The rear shock does not have alot of travel. So at 195lbs a 500x 1.60 fox spring is just perfect

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT_DICE
    You are looking at 1.50 or 1.60. The rear shock does not have alot of travel. So at 195lbs a 500x 1.60 fox spring is just perfect

so will this work: Vivid 500x2.5/2.75 coilspring

http://store.airbomb.com/ItemDesc.asp?IC=RS1560

or this: Marz 2 x 500lbs ROCOSteel Coil Spring

http://store.airbomb.com/ItemDesc.asp?IC=RS8304

or does it need to be exactly 500x1.5/1.6 ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    you got it right on the last one, it has to be 1.5 or 1.6 The shock will not support anything bigger, this is due to the shock travel. The kindshock axis is a 6.5 x 1.5 shock . The dimensions on the spring are 3.75 length x 1.25 inner diameter x 1.875 outer diameter. For length I wouldn't recommend anything longer than 4 inches. You can try other springs but you'll find it hard to locate one with that ID and OD size. Those sizes are important cause if too big you will not be able to turn the lockout and it will fit loose. I ordered one on ebay for 12 bucks and it fit the shock but it was 1/4 in too big on the ID and OD, thus not allowing turning of the lockout.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    thanks. I just got an email from directbikes and they said the size of spring is 3 1/2

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kolyan2k
    thanks. I just got an email from directbikes and they said the size of spring is 3 1/2
    That sounds like length, not travel. The stock spring on the shock I got is 3.75 not 3.5. maybe they have different shocks and/or springs. Good luck in finding a spring, let me know if you find one

MTBR Asian Dude
    May 2008
    yah, please post back once you find an appropriate spring. I still haven't replaced mine, and i'm planning on doing some mad biking once final exams are over.

If you want more ideas for "upgrading" or "improving-beyond-stock" your 700DS (without spending too much money for unnecessary things:
    Ofcourse replace spring
    i recommend adding a fender (but this is only my personal taste. i think adding fenders to any mountain bike is not only functional - not getting sh*t on your shirt - but also stylish.... hey..... who doesn't want a cool looking bike?)
    add bar-ends for extra control and leverage during those grueling climbs
    and if you're big, consider getting a longer bar or use headset-spacers to match the geometry of your body with the bike

everything else about the bike is pretty solid. i'll add pictures soon of my 700DS.
    Me:
    Honors Chemical Engineering undergraduate student at the University of Washington
    Bike:
    2008 Motobecane 700DS

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I finally fixed my gears.....of course it was as easy as putting the seatpost, but since i have never done this before, it took me another hour of so. I also adjusted the fork sag.

I will definitely post after I get the rear spring. I will also consider your ideas as far as bike accessories.

I do have another question however: How many degrees is the rise on the stock stem ? I was thinking of getting something higher, although I dont know if I should, I am only 5'6''

mtbr member
    May 2008
    this is what I have decided to buy so far (and i already ordered through pricepoint):

2 Kenda Karma DTC XC Tire 26 x 2.0 DTC $29.98 In Stock
    1 SKS X-Blade Rear Fender $17.98 In Stock
    1 Cane Creek Ergo Control 2 Bar Ends $34.98 In Stock

I pretty much thought even if I dont use the rear fender......what the hell, its only 18 bucks

Bushwacker
    Quote Originally Posted by kolyan2k
    I finally fixed my gears.....of course it was as easy as putting the seatpost, but since i have never done this before, it took me another hour of so. I also adjusted the fork sag.

I will definitely post after I get the rear spring. I will also consider your ideas as far as bike accessories.

I do have another question however: How many degrees is the rise on the stock stem ? I was thinking of getting something higher, although I dont know if I should, I am only 5'6''
    I wanted to raise my stem without bringing it forward so I went this route, http://www.deltacycle.com/product.php?g=9. It comes in black and is very sturdy and looks like it came with the bike.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    You will love those tires.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Here is my 700, look at the shock (it has the fox spring I told you about)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I am on my own in terms of rear spring. Neither REI nor SkiMarket could help me. The tips I got from customer service: for my size the spring has to be 400-500 lbs and the guy said that the bike is too big for me (i got size M and I am about 5'6''). Is this really a big deal ? My standover clearance is about 1''-2''.

I also wanna purchase an adjustable stem. I kinda liked them in the store.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    thought about replacing the whole rear spring..............maybe spend an extra 100 and get a nicer rear shock with better spring

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Do you feel comfortable on the bike? If you do then that's all that matters. that adjustable stem is pretty cool. Good luck with upgrading your bike.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    so what do you guy thing of these ? will they fit ?

Rock Shox MC3R 165mm
    X Fusion Shox 02-RC 165mm

MTBR Asian Dude
    May 2008
    First of all, i feel "honored" that you took my word about getting the fender and barends Especially the fender. Before i "discovered" them, i used to get all kinds of sh*t on my back even in the slightest of wettest weather.

I'm sorry kolyan2k, but those huge rear suspensions won't fit. Even if you do get them on (which i can't see anybody doing without a hacksaw and hammer), the geometry of your bike will be screwed up because from what i know about those rear shocks, they are longer and bulkier than the KS schocks the bike came with. Your best bet is to replace the coil. i wouldn't go overboard with spending extra cash replacing the whole rear shox. But damn, 165 mm of travel would be nice. Do you know how much travel the stock rear shox get?

Lol... adjustable stem. I would really just go with the headset spacers. It already comes with stock headset spacers (the individual black discs below the handlebar but above the suspension fork), so you just need to add a couple more to get the geometry right. you can get these headset spacers at any bike store.

The barends look really nice

Kenda Karma? I personally like the tread patterns on the stock WTB Velociraptor better (more grip as you can see the thick central lining of treads especially on the rear tire). And 2.0 inches wide? Dude, the WTB tires it came with are 2.1 inches. Haha, i'm just being nitpicky

As with you being 5' 6'' and getting a medium, as long as you feel comfortable, who cares. As long as you don't crotch-rack yourself after bunny-hopping over a log...

@ agentdice: Nice bike! You really took time upgrading it as i can see (new seatpost, rear shox, rims, bar, pedal, rear carry bag). Why did you switch the pedals? I'm guessing you like the platform design of the easton better than the teeth-like design of the beartrap pedals it came with? and wait, did yours come with those rims, or did it originally come with the black anodized WTB speeddisc?

I will soon have pictures up of my bike, once the bikeshop finishes tuning up my bike!
    Me:
    Bike:
    2008 Motobecane 700DS

mtbr member
    May 2008
    You misunderstood me. The rear KS shock on 700ds is 165mm (6.5'') and has 1.5 inches of travel (I believe this is correct, I had to measure the shock eye 2 eye distance with printer paper assuming its 8.5 inches wide ). I want to get the same size air shock. Those 2 air shocks are the same size in eye 2 eye and in travel distance.

There is a review here, and the guy wrote in his 700ds set up that he has Cane Creek AD-10 which is a similar air shock

Also theoretically maybe you could have more travel on 700DS...maybe up to 2'' - 2.5'', but 6.5'' (165mm) eye 2eye only come with 1.5'' of travel
    Last edited by kolyan2k; 06-08-2008 at 03:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    @ kolyan... Yes you are right about the shocks you are looking at, they will fit your bike

If I were you I would get the X fusion, they both do the same exact job but you don't need a remote lockout that the RockShox has and the Xfusion will look kick ass on your bike due to the matching colors (polished black w/chrome lettering) NICE!

The only thing you may need to get is the eyelet bushings. Before you buy the shock find out if you can get them from a store, LBS, web or direct from manufacturer. You need a 22mm wide x 10mm hole for both top and bottom.

@ Bassmaster........Thanks Bassmaster, I had some money to spend on a bike and I decided to go with a Motobecane and use the rest to upgrade the skye stuff. The rims did not come with the bike, I did get the same black speedDiscs as everyone else. I saw the Vuleta rims on a bike and really liked them alot, so I found them on ebay and decided to get them. About the pedals, I have always liked platform pedals since I was 11 years old in BMX and Freestyle, they just feel so comfortable riding with a pair of sneakers.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT_DICE
    @ kolyan... Yes you are right about the shocks you are looking at, they will fit your bike

If I were you I would get the X fusion, they both do the same exact job but you don't need a remote lockout that the RockShox has and the Xfusion will look kick ass on your bike due to the matching colors (polished black w/chrome lettering) NICE!

The only thing you may need to get is the eyelet bushings. Before you buy the shock find out if you can get them from a store, LBS, web or direct from manufacturer. You need a 22mm wide x 10mm hole for both top and bottom.

@ Bassmaster........Thanks Bassmaster, I had some money to spend on a bike and I decided to go with a Motobecane and use the rest to upgrade the skye stuff. The rims did not come with the bike, I did get the same black speedDiscs as everyone else. I saw the Vuleta rims on a bike and really liked them alot, so I found them on ebay and decided to get them. About the pedals, I have always liked platform pedals since I was 11 years old in BMX and Freestyle, they just feel so comfortable riding with a pair of sneakers.
    I read negative reviews about "x fusion", and i also read their manual. The shock needs alot of maintenance (oiling and often rebuilts). Looking and RockShox or Fox now. Would there be a difference in mounting the shock ? upside down or otherwise ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    That is good you are doing your research! Have you checked out the Cane Creek Cloud Nine? That is the one I was looking at ( has great reviews) but just getting a spring was much cheaper. I use my bike for commuting and I've gone trail riding twice in 2 months. I've decided that all I need is just the spring. Oh and mounting the shock depends on manufacturer, I read somewhere that an ideal mount is with the lockout on the bottom but that depends on the manufacturer.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast