Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Well I got my 700ds in mail today

I am a newbie and it took me about good 1.5-2 hours to put the bike together with few accessories that i also bought and it did involve cutting the seatpost twice. Everything went fine, but unfortunately I cant get the gears to switch nicely and I did snap one or two lines in the cable to front derailleur (dont think its that bad). will probably bring the bike to the shop to adjust derailleurs. I also did not understand the front shock preload adjustment, and the rear shock spring MUST go. I did search a number of times for the correct size for replacement but was unsuccessful in finding any info.

Before i had a question is 700DS with Dart2 comes with TurnKey Lockout, and I am happy to see that it does.

MTBR Asian Dude
    May 2008
    Ain't it a sturdy bike? I'm sure you'll enjoy it (i know from experience )

So yah, i also figured out the little circular metal disk on the lockout switch is the poploc doohikie. I never really noticed it until now...

the preload adjustment info should be in the suspension owner's manual. Note that the dart 2 has lockout, preload adjusment, and at the bottom rebound adjustment. Quality suspensions.

Stupid for them to put a 850 lb spring there. I haven't replaced mine yet.

Did yours come with the WTB black andonized speed rims?
    Me:
    Honors Chemical Engineering undergraduate student at the University of Washington
    Bike:
    2008 Motobecane 700DS

mtbr member
    May 2008
    yes it came with WTB black rims

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    About the rear spring, I contacted Kindshock thru their email and it took them 3 weeks to get back to me. They asked 3 questions ( general info ) and I responded back ASAP. Well I haven't received anything at all from them and it's been 2 months now. Anyways you can get a FOX spring that has the same ID and OD, fits perfect without having to buy a whole new shock. I bought mine here http://www.webmountainbike.com/foxcoilsprings.html

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I understand what 450, 600 etc. means, but which do I need 2.80'', 2.xx, 3.00 ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You are looking at 1.50 or 1.60. The rear shock does not have alot of travel. So at 195lbs a 500x 1.60 fox spring is just perfect

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT_DICE
    You are looking at 1.50 or 1.60. The rear shock does not have alot of travel. So at 195lbs a 500x 1.60 fox spring is just perfect

so will this work: Vivid 500x2.5/2.75 coilspring

http://store.airbomb.com/ItemDesc.asp?IC=RS1560

or this: Marz 2 x 500lbs ROCOSteel Coil Spring

http://store.airbomb.com/ItemDesc.asp?IC=RS8304

or does it need to be exactly 500x1.5/1.6 ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    you got it right on the last one, it has to be 1.5 or 1.6 The shock will not support anything bigger, this is due to the shock travel. The kindshock axis is a 6.5 x 1.5 shock . The dimensions on the spring are 3.75 length x 1.25 inner diameter x 1.875 outer diameter. For length I wouldn't recommend anything longer than 4 inches. You can try other springs but you'll find it hard to locate one with that ID and OD size. Those sizes are important cause if too big you will not be able to turn the lockout and it will fit loose. I ordered one on ebay for 12 bucks and it fit the shock but it was 1/4 in too big on the ID and OD, thus not allowing turning of the lockout.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    thanks. I just got an email from directbikes and they said the size of spring is 3 1/2

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kolyan2k
    thanks. I just got an email from directbikes and they said the size of spring is 3 1/2
    That sounds like length, not travel. The stock spring on the shock I got is 3.75 not 3.5. maybe they have different shocks and/or springs. Good luck in finding a spring, let me know if you find one

MTBR Asian Dude
    May 2008
    yah, please post back once you find an appropriate spring. I still haven't replaced mine, and i'm planning on doing some mad biking once final exams are over.

If you want more ideas for "upgrading" or "improving-beyond-stock" your 700DS (without spending too much money for unnecessary things:
    Ofcourse replace spring
    i recommend adding a fender (but this is only my personal taste. i think adding fenders to any mountain bike is not only functional - not getting sh*t on your shirt - but also stylish.... hey..... who doesn't want a cool looking bike?)
    add bar-ends for extra control and leverage during those grueling climbs
    and if you're big, consider getting a longer bar or use headset-spacers to match the geometry of your body with the bike

everything else about the bike is pretty solid. i'll add pictures soon of my 700DS.
    Me:
    Honors Chemical Engineering undergraduate student at the University of Washington
    Bike:
    2008 Motobecane 700DS

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I finally fixed my gears.....of course it was as easy as putting the seatpost, but since i have never done this before, it took me another hour of so. I also adjusted the fork sag.

I will definitely post after I get the rear spring. I will also consider your ideas as far as bike accessories.

I do have another question however: How many degrees is the rise on the stock stem ? I was thinking of getting something higher, although I dont know if I should, I am only 5'6''

mtbr member
    May 2008
    this is what I have decided to buy so far (and i already ordered through pricepoint):

2 Kenda Karma DTC XC Tire 26 x 2.0 DTC $29.98 In Stock
    1 SKS X-Blade Rear Fender $17.98 In Stock
    1 Cane Creek Ergo Control 2 Bar Ends $34.98 In Stock

I pretty much thought even if I dont use the rear fender......what the hell, its only 18 bucks

Bushwacker
    I finally fixed my gears.....of course it was as easy as putting the seatpost, but since i have never done this before, it took me another hour of so. I also adjusted the fork sag.

I will definitely post after I get the rear spring. I will also consider your ideas as far as bike accessories.

I do have another question however: How many degrees is the rise on the stock stem ? I was thinking of getting something higher, although I dont know if I should, I am only 5'6''
    I wanted to raise my stem without bringing it forward so I went this route, http://www.deltacycle.com/product.php?g=9. It comes in black and is very sturdy and looks like it came with the bike.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    You will love those tires.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Here is my 700, look at the shock (it has the fox spring I told you about)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I am on my own in terms of rear spring. Neither REI nor SkiMarket could help me. The tips I got from customer service: for my size the spring has to be 400-500 lbs and the guy said that the bike is too big for me (i got size M and I am about 5'6''). Is this really a big deal ? My standover clearance is about 1''-2''.

I also wanna purchase an adjustable stem. I kinda liked them in the store.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    thought about replacing the whole rear spring..............maybe spend an extra 100 and get a nicer rear shock with better spring

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Do you feel comfortable on the bike? If you do then that's all that matters. that adjustable stem is pretty cool. Good luck with upgrading your bike.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    so what do you guy thing of these ? will they fit ?

Rock Shox MC3R 165mm
    X Fusion Shox 02-RC 165mm

MTBR Asian Dude
    May 2008
    First of all, i feel "honored" that you took my word about getting the fender and barends Especially the fender. Before i "discovered" them, i used to get all kinds of sh*t on my back even in the slightest of wettest weather.

I'm sorry kolyan2k, but those huge rear suspensions won't fit. Even if you do get them on (which i can't see anybody doing without a hacksaw and hammer), the geometry of your bike will be screwed up because from what i know about those rear shocks, they are longer and bulkier than the KS schocks the bike came with. Your best bet is to replace the coil. i wouldn't go overboard with spending extra cash replacing the whole rear shox. But damn, 165 mm of travel would be nice. Do you know how much travel the stock rear shox get?

Lol... adjustable stem. I would really just go with the headset spacers. It already comes with stock headset spacers (the individual black discs below the handlebar but above the suspension fork), so you just need to add a couple more to get the geometry right. you can get these headset spacers at any bike store.

The barends look really nice

Kenda Karma? I personally like the tread patterns on the stock WTB Velociraptor better (more grip as you can see the thick central lining of treads especially on the rear tire). And 2.0 inches wide? Dude, the WTB tires it came with are 2.1 inches. Haha, i'm just being nitpicky

As with you being 5' 6'' and getting a medium, as long as you feel comfortable, who cares. As long as you don't crotch-rack yourself after bunny-hopping over a log...

@ agentdice: Nice bike! You really took time upgrading it as i can see (new seatpost, rear shox, rims, bar, pedal, rear carry bag). Why did you switch the pedals? I'm guessing you like the platform design of the easton better than the teeth-like design of the beartrap pedals it came with? and wait, did yours come with those rims, or did it originally come with the black anodized WTB speeddisc?

I will soon have pictures up of my bike, once the bikeshop finishes tuning up my bike!
    Me:
    Bike:
    2008 Motobecane 700DS

mtbr member
    May 2008
    You misunderstood me. The rear KS shock on 700ds is 165mm (6.5'') and has 1.5 inches of travel (I believe this is correct, I had to measure the shock eye 2 eye distance with printer paper assuming its 8.5 inches wide ). I want to get the same size air shock. Those 2 air shocks are the same size in eye 2 eye and in travel distance.

There is a review here, and the guy wrote in his 700ds set up that he has Cane Creek AD-10 which is a similar air shock

Also theoretically maybe you could have more travel on 700DS...maybe up to 2'' - 2.5'', but 6.5'' (165mm) eye 2eye only come with 1.5'' of travel
    Last edited by kolyan2k; 06-08-2008 at 03:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    @ kolyan... Yes you are right about the shocks you are looking at, they will fit your bike

If I were you I would get the X fusion, they both do the same exact job but you don't need a remote lockout that the RockShox has and the Xfusion will look kick ass on your bike due to the matching colors (polished black w/chrome lettering) NICE!

The only thing you may need to get is the eyelet bushings. Before you buy the shock find out if you can get them from a store, LBS, web or direct from manufacturer. You need a 22mm wide x 10mm hole for both top and bottom.

@ Bassmaster........Thanks Bassmaster, I had some money to spend on a bike and I decided to go with a Motobecane and use the rest to upgrade the skye stuff. The rims did not come with the bike, I did get the same black speedDiscs as everyone else. I saw the Vuleta rims on a bike and really liked them alot, so I found them on ebay and decided to get them. About the pedals, I have always liked platform pedals since I was 11 years old in BMX and Freestyle, they just feel so comfortable riding with a pair of sneakers.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    @ kolyan... Yes you are right about the shocks you are looking at, they will fit your bike

If I were you I would get the X fusion, they both do the same exact job but you don't need a remote lockout that the RockShox has and the Xfusion will look kick ass on your bike due to the matching colors (polished black w/chrome lettering) NICE!

The only thing you may need to get is the eyelet bushings. Before you buy the shock find out if you can get them from a store, LBS, web or direct from manufacturer. You need a 22mm wide x 10mm hole for both top and bottom.

@ Bassmaster........Thanks Bassmaster, I had some money to spend on a bike and I decided to go with a Motobecane and use the rest to upgrade the skye stuff. The rims did not come with the bike, I did get the same black speedDiscs as everyone else. I saw the Vuleta rims on a bike and really liked them alot, so I found them on ebay and decided to get them. About the pedals, I have always liked platform pedals since I was 11 years old in BMX and Freestyle, they just feel so comfortable riding with a pair of sneakers.
    I read negative reviews about "x fusion", and i also read their manual. The shock needs alot of maintenance (oiling and often rebuilts). Looking and RockShox or Fox now. Would there be a difference in mounting the shock ? upside down or otherwise ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    That is good you are doing your research! Have you checked out the Cane Creek Cloud Nine? That is the one I was looking at ( has great reviews) but just getting a spring was much cheaper. I use my bike for commuting and I've gone trail riding twice in 2 months. I've decided that all I need is just the spring. Oh and mounting the shock depends on manufacturer, I read somewhere that an ideal mount is with the lockout on the bottom but that depends on the manufacturer.

mtbr member
    May 2008

noobie checking in

hey all,I just bought a 700ds a week ago and must say that anyone looking for a great bike for little cash this is the one!!! I've read all the posts and now that I own and have rode one some posts make me laugh now.The brakes are amazing and the shifting is flawless.here are some pics of mine.The rear shock is a rock shox w/rebound adj.This shock is way better then the ks axis the lbc had a stock pile of older rock shox and they are only $25. http://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2008
    That is good you are doing your research! Have you checked out the Cane Creek Cloud Nine? That is the one I was looking at ( has great reviews) but just getting a spring was much cheaper. I use my bike for commuting and I've gone trail riding twice in 2 months. I've decided that all I need is just the spring. Oh and mounting the shock depends on manufacturer, I read somewhere that an ideal mount is with the lockout on the bottom but that depends on the manufacturer.
    Cloud 9 is nice but I can't find it for a good price. This is the way I look at it: $50 bucks for a new spring, then why not spend $100-$150 for a used air shock, but for $225 I can get new Cloud 9.......and spending $225 for a shock on a bike that costs $600 might be pushing it

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yep koly, you made a point, I would not spend $200 on any shock the way I ride my bike. $50 is the right price for me. Cloud nine is one of the better shocks I have seen but I was waiting to find a cheap one on ebay (it hasn't happened yet). So I'm satisfied with just the fox spring.

@CS69 -Dammmmm nice ride bro! them fenders really set it off.

MTBR Asian Dude
    May 2008
    @cs69: Beautiful bike!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad you like the 700DS's performance ~ it is THE awesome bike

That rockshox rear's red color contrasts really good with the black of the bike. I was thinking of just replacing the whole rear shox from the stock like you did, but eh...
    Really diggin the fenders

Has anyone tried this baby(700DS) out on the MTB parks? How does it perform? Once finals are over, i'm going straight over to a local MTB park. Does it soak up the jumps and obstacles decently?
    Me:
    Bike:
    2008 Motobecane 700DS

mtbr member
    May 2008
    the shock I was looking at on ebay just got sold for $200, it makes no sense to buy some junk. I am still thinking about that cloud 9. Where did u get that red Rockshox ? What's the model ?

I could not find any used coil spring shocks

mtbr member
    May 2008
    so far: installed rear fender, tires, and bar ends. those bar ends were highly recommended and i personally can also recommend them. they look like they belong with the bike ! tires are also nice. sure feel lighter and much less aggressive thread, which means better on-road traction and since i am not planning on jumping, and extreme mountain biking, these rubbers should be perfect for me. rear fender i am not sure about........maybe it will be off during dry conditions, have not decided yet.

pic. are coming soon.......

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Koly you need to post pics bro cause I need to see what a 700 looks like with bar ends. I'm still debating the whole bar end thing. I want them but then I don't need them but I want them but I don't really need them ( you see my dilema )! I really like these http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/150...n-Bar-Ends.htm

mtbr member
    May 2008
    here you go. sorry no wheels on the bike

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for all the props but you are all partly to thank for me choosing the 700ds.I've been looking into motobecane bikes for a month and stumbled onto this sight and WOW am I glad I did.As far as how the bike handles the ruff stuff I can tell you it doesn't bottom out on anything bigger then a curb like I've read in some of the posts.I'm 175lbs and fearless(have the doctor bills to prove it!!)and I have only got the front shock to bottom out once.I was on a down hill trail I probably did not belong on(mainly for serious rider's)and I mis judged a drop that looked less than it was and I dropped about 3.5ft - 4ft onto the front tire yes it bottomed out but it's rebound was smooth and the bike didn't care.The bike handles rough stuff great and I LOVE the seat!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Wow those ends look good, they do look like they came with the bike, color cordinated and all. How do you like those tires? I got the kenda klimax but they were so thin that those tumbleweed stickers were poppin' my tubes. The klimax tires were so fast rolling with no resistance and I can really feel that now with my heavy velociraptors. They were just a tad bit thicker than my inner tubes. Anyways....... ride that bike and give me an update on them tires. btw, your bike is coming along nice

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i dont have the pump, so i have not tried out the tires.

ends are beauty !

and as far as rear shock goes......i am getting really pissed......so many choices, such a huge price range. i read so many positive reviews on Cloud 9 that now i am thinking about getting it. It is expensive, but you get a quality shock. You can buy a used shock from some other brand for say $100-$150 and be disappointed or spend $225 and be happy............

will post more pictures onces i get my stem and put the wheels on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You gotta also think about maintenance, an air shock will require alot of maint. and you are gonna have to check the top and bottom resevoir maybe once a month to see if they are leaking. If they do leak then you gotta purchase rebuilt kits. There is alot to think of cause of the cost of the dam things but the ride will be better. If you got the money then why not! Anyways... I did buy the titec carbon pluto bar ends, I did like the way your 700 looked so I couldn't resist. I almost got the same bar ends as you but for 9 more bucks I figure I might as well get carbon.

Edit: Hey I just saw the Cane Creek Grips with ODI clamps that go with your bar ends, I would definetly think about it!
    http://www.canecreek.com/bars-grips.html
    Last edited by AGENT_DICE; 06-09-2008 at 09:21 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Those ends do look cool, kolyan2k.

MTBR Asian Dude
    May 2008
    Yah, after i saw kolyan's barends, i got hooked.

I also ordered barends, the Sette XE curved alloy barends off price point (see my new thread). I'm more of a fan of longer curved barends cause i like the extra leverage they give me during climbs, so i just splurged myself on the 7'' size XE barend (hopefully that'll provide enough momentum ). Also ordered a chainstay protector seeing how badly scuffed up my last bike got from going off jumps and having the chains slap the chainstay like crazy.

Will have these installed by next week.

THEN I'M GOIN BIKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (final exams will be over)
    Me:
    Bike:
    2008 Motobecane 700DS

mtbr member
    May 2008
    You gotta also think about maintenance, an air shock will require alot of maint. and you are gonna have to check the top and bottom resevoir maybe once a month to see if they are leaking. If they do leak then you gotta purchase rebuilt kits. There is alot to think of cause of the cost of the dam things but the ride will be better. If you got the money then why not! Anyways... I did buy the titec carbon pluto bar ends, I did like the way your 700 looked so I couldn't resist. I almost got the same bar ends as you but for 9 more bucks I figure I might as well get carbon.

Edit: Hey I just saw the Cane Creek Grips with ODI clamps that go with your bar ends, I would definetly think about it!
    http://www.canecreek.com/bars-grips.html

i did think about maintenance. all air shocks out there, especially cheap ones require tons of it. and thats the good thing about Cloud 9: lots of reviewers here wrote thats its a solid shock compared to all other brands, and cane creeks website states that it is extremely easy to rebuilt the shock (15 min. and kit is about $30)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    That cloud 9 is really a very good, no, GREAT shock, I just can't get passed the price.

@ bassmaster pics man , pics! I see you and your red grips are excited to go biking, nice!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    That cloud 9 is really a very good, no, GREAT shock, I just can't get passed the price.

@ bassmaster pics man , pics! I see you and your red grips are excited to go biking, nice!
    As I said before and this is how I got over this.....
    Of course $225 is alot for a shock with 1.5" of travel for a $600 bike. But I was ready to spend $100-150 for a used one. So why not spend another $75-125 and get one of the best shocks, its gonna be new, and I don't have to guess how many lbs spring I need.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Dude just go for it! I really wanted this shock and now you can give me an update on how it handles. What's nice is if you gain alot of wieght all you need to do is add more air to the shock instead of buying another spring! LMAO

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Dude just go for it! I really wanted this shock and now you can give me an update on how it handles. What's nice is if you gain alot of wieght all you need to do is add more air to the shock instead of buying another spring! LMAO
    Already got it. This is crazy.....now my $600 dollar bike is more like a $1000+ with all the accesories I bought. I could have had their next model with 130mm in front and 5" travel in the back. But I would have probably ended up upgrading that too

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Where did u get it? How much? installed yet?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Where did u get it? How much? installed yet?
    bought from here aebike.com. order is not even shipped yet. will probably get it in a week or so.

MTBR Asian Dude
    May 2008
    A-W-E-S-O-M-E rear shox dude!!! Can't wait to see pics
    yah, i can't afford those toys, so i'll stick with my KS axis coilover for now haha
    Me:
    Bike:
    2008 Motobecane 700DS

MTBR Asian Dude
    May 2008
    @kolyan: What kind of cyclocomputer do you have on there? i noticed that, but i forgot to ask. My friend is actually giving me one his cyclocomputers for free (probably because he won it at a raffle-ticket drawing at the local bike shop, and he already had the one that he won :P haha), and i'm going to install it tomorrow.

@agent_dice: i promise to get pictures as soon as i get those barends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! which could possibly be the end of this week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cause after i get those barends, my bike setup is most likely complete......

...... unless you guys have any ideas on how else i could upgrade my bike? (plz keep the price low. college tuition is hefty )
    Me:
    Bike:
    2008 Motobecane 700DS

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmaster
    @kolyan: What kind of cyclocomputer do you have on there? i noticed that, but i forgot to ask. My friend is actually giving me one his cyclocomputers for free (probably because he won it at a raffle-ticket drawing at the local bike shop, and he already had the one that he won :P haha), and i'm going to install it tomorrow.

@agent_dice: i promise to get pictures as soon as i get those barends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! which could possibly be the end of this week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cause after i get those barends, my bike setup is most likely complete......

...... unless you guys have any ideas on how else i could upgrade my bike? (plz keep the price low. college tuition is hefty )
    its SIGMA BC1606L. bought from http://www.masherz.com/

i cant afford that shock either but i will be upset if i spend money and get a sh1tty one

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Got Cloud 9 today. Took KS shock off. Need spacers to fit Cloud 9. Stock spacers that came with KS are just a bit bigger. Anyone know where I can get those spacers.....before I call Cane Creek ?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Got Cloud 9 today. Took KS shock off. Need spacers to fit Cloud 9. Stock spacers that came with KS are just a bit bigger. Anyone know where I can get those spacers.....before I call Cane Creek ?
    yeah I had to use actual rock shox spacers to mount the r/s, the axis spacer was also too big.Sorry though I don't know off hand where else than your lbs. thats where I found mine.Please post pics when its mounted bet it's going to look sick!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I believe KS eye is 12mm while Cloud 9 is 14mm

and spacers must be 22mm long and have 8.5mm inner diameter of the eye

at least thats what i got for measurements

EDIT:

This might be what I need (M8 bolt (8mm wide), and 22.1mm frame mount)

http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ItemMa...1&MatrixType=1
    Last edited by kolyan2k; 06-18-2008 at 04:08 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I believe KS eye is 12mm while Cloud 9 is 14mm

and spacers must be 22mm long and have 8.5mm inner diameter of the eye

at least thats what i got for measurements

EDIT:

This might be what I need (M8 bolt (8mm wide), and 22.1mm frame mount)

http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ItemMa...1&MatrixType=1
    Looks like you found gold!Thanks for doing the foot work for all considering the cloud 9.Ouch though,40 bucks for 2 bolts and four spacers?You'd think after paying that kind of dough for their shock they would at least want it to fit for ya!My lbs. gave me the spacers I needed said not to worry about it 'cause their only a couple bucks.Still cant wait for photos 'cause I'm one that would be crazy enough to buy one if it looks and performs better than what I have.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Called that place and turned out that they don't carry cane creek stuff anymore. I ordered directly from cane creek and I believe they charged me 12 bucks for both spacers
    Last edited by kolyan2k; 06-19-2008 at 04:22 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Call that place and turned out that they don't carry cane creek stuff anymore. I ordered directly from cane creek and I believe they charged me 12 bucks for both spacers
    Well that is a lot easier to swallow.Good luck w/the install.My job is pulling me away for another two weeks so it'l be a while before I ride again.Remember, lots of pics!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Cloud Nine installed on my 700DS

$225 Cloud Nine
    $16 Spacers
    $30 Shock Pump

Feeling satisfied = PRICELESS

Cartographer
    Cool beans.
    2008 Motobecane-USA Fantom Pro
    Cleveland Area Mountain Biker

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    How does the air shock handle? it looks perfect on your bike.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    How does the air shock handle? it looks perfect on your bike.
    Haven't tried it yet. its raining here. it would be impossible to compare anyways since KS with 850lbs spring had almost 0 movement, and this shock has lots of movement with 150psi (thats what i pumped it to)

It does fit perfect and sure looks good on the bike

mtbr member
    May 2008
    More pictures. this time with long waited and my last mod: Ritchey Adjustable Stem 25.4mm x 120mm. Maximum adjustment is about 5 degrees more then stock (I think stock is 15). On the pictures its adjusted to its highest point. Cannot adjust this stem without taking the whole thing apart (it is made this way to be solid like the non-adjustable ones)

MTBR Asian Dude
    May 2008
    That rear shox looks magnificently CRAZY!!!!!!!!! =)

I've already got 300 miles on my 700DS, and it rides like a charm. Ok, that does it.... i'm going to post a picture in about 10 minutes.......
    Me:
    Bike:
    2008 Motobecane 700DS

MTBR Asian Dude
    May 2008
    Here's a picture (finally... ) of my 700DS. It might be a bit fuzzy due to it being a cell phone pic.

smaller version bike.JPG

sette barends
    specialized fender and rear bag
    Bell cyclocomputer, trail light, and rear light
    lizard skin chain-slap guard and front fork guard

I should probably remove those annoying looking spoke reflectors huh?

~Bassmaster

=)
    Me:
    Bike:
    2008 Motobecane 700DS

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i was just thinking.......if you dont want to spend more then $600 right now, wouldn't you be able to just buy a frame of Fantom Comp DS later on and switch over all components ? Wouldn't this be possible and cheaper then purchasing a whole new bike ?

Also interested about peoples opinions on 700DS vs IBEX Ignition 1 and 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    @ Koly- your bike looks good bro, you really picked good components for your bike. Lovin' the cloud nine.

@ bassmaster- bro it looks like batman built your bike, the fender and barends really add attitude to your ride. What happened to the red grips? I really like the lizard skin chain-slap guard and front fork guard.

MTBR Asian Dude
    May 2008
    @agent_dice: hey, thanks for the comments. Now that summer is here and dry weather has come uponeth (idk if that's a word haha) WA, i took off the fender. I also took off the headlights cause i think the rearlight is all i need- i don't bike often in the dark.
    So yah, it should look "cleaner" and less "batman"-ish (haha, nice one dude) than before. Plus! It's now lighter by a few hundred grams!

Yah, i really like the lizardskin fork guard i got. I remember riding a trail a few weeks ago and, somehow, my dart2 (the chrome stanchion) was dinged by an "airborne" rock. Just a light scratch, but i felt like with the riding style i do, i might as well protect the stanchion with something so that my chrome doesn't deevolutionize to stainless steel. (i believe its chrome, or maybe my metallurgy knowledge is off a bit)

The chain-slap guard also really helps for obvious reasons.

Now, i'm off to add more miles onto this baby
    ~ Bassmaster

(i'll post new pics, maybe even a video on youtube with me riding with buddies)
    Me:
    Bike:
    2008 Motobecane 700DS

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I wish I could put more trail miles on mine. The weather sucks here in Boston. I can't ride my bike in this humidity. And its either humid like crazy or its raining.
    Last edited by kolyan2k; 07-02-2008 at 05:12 AM.

Bushwacker
    Haven't rode my 700 in a month. I'll be getting out at this place this weekend. Lots of single tracks some nice rock gardens thrown in. I'll try to take some pics for once.

Bushwacker
    I wish I could put more trail miles on mine. The weather sucks here in Boston. I can't ride my bike in this humidity. And its either humid like crazy or its raining.
    Still waiting for a detailed review of the shock upgrade.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkonian
    Still waiting for a detailed review of the shock upgrade.

I wish i could review it, but i have nothing to compare it too. The stupid Axis with 850lbs coil didn't absorb any bumps and this Cloud 9 works like a charm. The only thing i can say is that the fitment is 100%. and its nice to be able to adjust PSI anytime i want to. The shock does not have complete "lock-out" feature, it does have a button that adjusts the compression to its max. setting with a push of a button. this makes the shock stiff but its not a lock-out.

later on if i ever need to upgrade my bike to something with 4-5'' travel, i suppose i can just buy a frame and switch over all components including this shock. I believe Fantom DS and IBEX Ignition both use 6.5'' i2i rear shocks.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    weather conditions and my free time almost never work out. i guess i will be doing most of my riding in fall. since i dont have a car now, its pretty painful to ride to State Forest and back in such a hot weather. i once took an hour trip in 85-90 F and I was almost dead on the way back.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    interesting........I thought my 700ds has about 2'' of rear travel, but i see that ebay and few posts in this forum mention that 400ds has 4'' of rear travel......i lost my tape measure so i cant measure to confirm what the travel is.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ALUMINUM-FUL...QQcmdZViewItem

ibex ignition came with the same type of frame back in '04 and they also dont state the travel ?????

ps. i suppose its a lie coming from "sprtymama" on ebay......just like some of her descriptions say that MotobecaneUSA is famous, French, 80 year old company (some descriptions say 75 year old). In reality Motobecane (which is famous and French and 80+ years old) has nothing to do with MotobecaneUSA
    Last edited by kolyan2k; 07-13-2008 at 10:07 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Today I took my bike through some forest trails and 20 minutes later I got a flat rear tire.

Perhaps those Kendra light weight tires are not made for forest trails......this or tube are too thin.

EDIT: Kenda tires are much thinner then stock and of course much heavier, but I like less aggressive pattern on Kendras. I ended up purchasing Q-Tubes thorn resistant tubes and Panaracer Flat Away Mountain tire liners. If this does not work, I will have to go back to stock tires.

installed: while tire liner doesnt weight much, q-tubes are MUCH thicker and weight MUCH more then stock ones.
    Last edited by kolyan2k; 07-30-2008 at 07:35 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    And now I got a new problem..........2nd time my chain comes off and gets jammed between frame and the small ring. It gets stuck there so bad that i need to hammer it out !

I am planning on getting this:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/134...hain-Guide.htm

maybe get a new seatpost while at it, although, Skye one is fine, maybe a bit too heavy. I wish I knew its weight.

Bushwacker
    And now I got a new problem..........2nd time my chain comes off and gets jammed between frame and the small ring. It gets stuck there so bad that i need to hammer it out !

I am planning on getting this:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/134...hain-Guide.htm

maybe get a new seatpost while at it, although, Skye one is fine, maybe a bit too heavy. I wish I knew its weight.
    Sounds like you need a derailer adjustment. The Shimano instructions that came with the bike has good adjustment tips.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkonian
    Sounds like you need a derailer adjustment. The Shimano instructions that came with the bike has good adjustment tips.
    no,no........derailleur works fine. last time chain came off when i was riding the bike down the stairs. so that type of aggressive riding will make it come off again i guess

Bushwacker
    Have you upgraded your chain? I'm running a SRAM power link series chain after the stock chain was starting to fall apart. I ride several rock garden sections in the park I usually frequent and I have never had the chain drop off. That's curious.

Bushwacker
    BTW, here's a link to the Kind Shock website for the Axis shock http://www.sportingb2b.com/work/serv...11&industry=SG
    Spring rates were available for the Axis as low as 450 lbs. Thanks for nothing to Motobecane for selecting a spring rate of 850 lbs...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    You think chain will make a difference ? I am running stock chain and of course I would rather buy chain instead of that chain-guide

Bushwacker
    When I was researching chains, the general consensus was the stock chain is a piece of crap. Maybe your chain is stretched out. If I were you, I'd replace the chain with a power link series and review adjustment instructions for the derailleur just to be sure it's set up correctly. The power link set up is good idea anyways since you can quickly remove the chain to clean it which I was told by the LBS will significantly increase the the life span of your sprocket/chain rings. You may be right and need that chain guide but it seems strange that I'm not having that problem. I picked up my chain for under $30 I think.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I said no more upgrades, right ? ......but I guess I am an upgrade freak. I bought Thomson Elite seat post (250mm) and WTB Laser V SLT saddle. The only thing that bothers me now is the fork, but I will not upgrade it unless I find something better and dirt cheap

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Wow! I know the feeling of wanting to upgrade EVERYTHING Right now my forks are with sprtymama at the moment, I'm prayin' she sends me new forks instead of just repairing the old ones. Dart 2 are the cheapest forks you can possibly get other than the dart 1. I was looking at getting me a Fox talas fork but them sumamabeotches cost just way too much.

Bushwacker
    Wow! I know the feeling of wanting to upgrade EVERYTHING Right now my forks are with sprtymama at the moment, I'm prayin' she sends me new forks instead of just repairing the old ones. Dart 2 are the cheapest forks you can possibly get other than the dart 1. I was looking at getting me a Fox talas fork but them sumamabeotches cost just way too much.
    Any word from her on when and what...?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    No not at all. She did receive them yesterday. I sent her the tracking number and around 4 emails thruout the week asking about turn around time and if they can please send me back my starnut and crown that i forgot on the forks when i sent it to her. So far she hasn't responded to any one of those emails yet. getting worried here

mtbr member
    May 2008
    This would probably save you 0.5 lbs. Its really light compared to stock. Its aluminum seat post clams vs steel, and titanium saddle rails vs again steel

Bushwacker
    Maybe the leason here is contact the manufacturer directly and don't waste your time with sm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yeah Stark I wish it was that easy. I looked at the SRAM/rochshox website for warranty and it states that the product must be sent to the retailer where you purchased the bike. Also if you read the warranty from Motobecane they state that "if any part on a Motobecane bicycle ever fails due to a defect, that part will be replaced for free by an authorized dealer" also "Transportation charges and dealer charges are not covered by the warranty"

http://www.motobecane.com/warranty001.html

This is a tip from me.....If your Dart forks ever fail, just buy a new one from ebay. They are only $60-$70 plus shipping. I paid 40 bucks to get them boxed and shipped out quickly so I can get them ASAP....BUT, I haven't heard anything from Sprtymama after sending out 4 emails in a week . I'm getting Worried

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Usually manufacture is really helpful with warranty issues. I did number of returns and all were with free shipping and/or free exchange at local store. Looks like with SRAM its not the case. and as far as the "ebay-mamma" goes, and as much as I dislike her for rude customer service and for incorrect advertisement, I would give her 2 weeks at the most. Anything over that, would be ridiculous

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Finally I get a response from mama and it is a one liner " Okay, I'll have the rep check into it" Well it's better than nothing.

BTW I really like the seat, I also upgraded mine but I wanted comfort so I went with the "WTB Pro-gel ". That seat is just way comfy and I painted the rails black with industrial gloss black paint so I won't have the rails standing out. I'm super happy with that seat, the rails really blend in now with the gloss black.

Bushwacker
    I think I'm finally figuring these Aquila brakes out. The front brake is consistantly perfect. The rear is sometimes good sometimes not. Part of the problem I suspect is the long dusty single tracks I've been riding and/or backsplash from washing the bike off. The other part tho is the inner pad has to adjusted perfectly. I've been adjusting the pad spring clip so the pads contact the rotor squarely and then I loosen the rear hub and fine tune it some more. With that done I adjust the inner pad right up to the rotor. Only the outside pad moves so with this set up the pads bite on the rotor much better.

Bushwacker
    Finally I get a response from mama and it is a one liner " Okay, I'll have the rep check into it" Well it's better than nothing.
    We should take a poll on what she means by that:

A- I'll contact Sram asap and let you know the status within a week.

OR

B- When I get back from my cruise I'll give Sram call and try to let you know before Christmas.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm thinking more like "B" Okay here we go...I thought about it and BAMMMM! bought myself a dart 3 on ebay cheap as hell. I won them on Thrusday and the seller shipped them Friday, I recieved them today! Yaaaay! I'm gonna install them tommorow and take a nice long ride. Now about the other forks.....I'm kinda dissapointed by her communication, or should I say lack of commmunication. I would like to know a turn around time, when she shipped them to SRAM, when she gets them back, a tracking number when she ships them back to me.....I just want to be kept in the loop....Is this asking too much?

@ stark I haven't had any problems with my brakes (knock on wood) but it's good you post stuff like this cause it gives me a starting point when something goes bad...Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm thinking more like "B" Okay here we go...I thought about it and BAMMMM! bought myself a dart 3 on ebay cheap as hell. I won them on Thrusday and the seller shipped them Friday, I recieved them today! Yaaaay! I'm gonna install them tommorow and take a nice long ride. Now about the other forks.....I'm kinda dissapointed by her communication, or should I say lack of commmunication. I would like to know a turn around time, when she shipped them to SRAM, when she gets them back, a tracking number when she ships them back to me.....I just want to be kept in the loop....Is this asking too much?

@ stark I haven't had any problems with my brakes (knock on wood) but it's good you post stuff like this cause it gives me a starting point when something goes bad...Thanks
    i bet she communicates pretty well when it comes to sales........f...cking b1tch !

Bushwacker
    That sounds like a good move Agent D.
    It's nice to have a backup fork either way to keep your down time to a minimum in the future.
    I've read the D-3 is the same as the D-2 but that doesn't seem corrrect. According to SRAM D-3 comes with remote lockout and the 100mm size is around 3/4 lb lighter than the D-2 so you are getting a modest upgrade.

I'm off to the Santa Cruz mountains for ride. I took my fork apart yesterday to clean and re-lube. Hopefully it won't blow up on me on same nasty drop off section...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Well...I ran into another problem. I forgot to take off the crown race from the original dart2 forks, so for the Dart 3s I purchased one from my LBS and it is not compatible with the headset, headset tightens up to a fixed position with no movement whatsoever. What is kinda funny is that there is no information on the Cane Creek VP-A42E headset anywhere, not even at the Cane Creek website. I looked around for a fix and my LBS wants 60 bucks to fix it. I thought about it and said F*CK THAT! I bought a Cane Creek Zero Stack ZS-6 Headset for 54.98 from Pricepoint. It is way better than the Original that comes with the 700DS. Anyways Moral of the story is "Do not forget to take off the crown race and starnut when sending out forks for replacement" and sometimes your LBS is a ripoff

Bushwacker
    I took some pics on the ride at El Corte today. The bike felt good. I was running my tire pressure at 40 lbs at somebody's suggestion but the ride was jittery on the steeps and poor traction on the climbs. I dropped it to 32 lbs. I was climbing better than ever and I had more confidence on those nail biter down hill sweeping turns.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Looks like you had a blast. The trail looks fun as hell

Bushwacker
    ^ That pic of the rock staircase is on the Manzanita Trail. It has several inches of silt like dust on top of sand stone. The drops are pretty sic for a newb like me but I can poke my way through it without walking, too much

The lbs's around me are a total rip off. I had them check the gear and brake adjustment when my bike was new. They charged me $75 and I had to retune the brakes myself plus they "forgot" to check another issue they quoted as part of the price.
    Last edited by Starkonian; 08-18-2008 at 11:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Check this out...I emailed Cane Creek and requested a manual for the Cane Creek VP-A42E headset that is on our bikes. This is the reply I got
    " What you have is not actually a Cane Creek product, VP is a Taiwan based company that licenses use of our patent and design. We do not have parts or info for these headsets. If you take a measurement of the inner diameter of the head tube on your frame, I can tell you what type of headset it is, and we should have directions for our model that will be similar."

Now, I'm thinking what other components are marked as name brand but is really a fake or wannabe? hmmmmm.......

Bushwacker
    ^ WTF? More smoke and mirrors?

Check out this for headset installation http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...stall-a-heads/

I'm thinking the correct socket bit and a rubber mallet might do the same job.

BTW, I was glad I pulled my fork the other day to inspect/clean it. The bottom race/bearing cage was dirty and full of grit and sand. I repacked the bearing cages with auto axle grease, don't know if that was the best type but it felt great and the little tick I felt before the clean out was gone. I think the "tick" I could feel and hear was from a cracked spacer. I just chucked it, it reasembled fine without it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the headset install instuctions. yeah I too think with a rubber mallet and light taps it should go in with no problem. When I took off the headset cups they came off with light taps using a rubber mallet and flat tip screwdriver. Anyways I'm kinda pissed that we are getting second rate items thinking they are top brand! I am soooo happy I bought the Cane Creek ZS-6 cause the bearings you get with the fake headset on our bike are caged bearings (break easy) where as with the ZS-6 you get stainless steel sealed cartridge bearings. You can use either the ZS-2 or ZS-6, difference is the bearing material.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0