Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Hope Vuelta XRP wheelsets

Just looking for some feedback on the Vuelta XRP wheelsets overall. Build quality, any bad experiences or failures with these products any possibly how their warranty is. I have the Team SuperLite and so far they are great but they seem like they might not hold up. I am already considering buying another wheetset and by the way I am 190lb and I sometimes I can be kinda hard on my equipment

mtbr member
    I am around the same weight, and I had been watching my superlights on Fly Ti closely. They do not seem to be particularly bad, tensioned reasonably well, kept straight after a few bumpy rides, hubs are like any other average hubs.

I have decided I would not bother "upgrading", unless they indeed break - and I am not sure it will happen any time soon.

Space for rent...
    Quote Originally Posted by xc2006
    Just looking for some feedback on the Vuelta XRP wheelsets overall. Build quality, any bad experiences or failures with these products any possibly how their warranty is. I have the Team SuperLite and so far they are great but they seem like they might not hold up. I am already considering buying another wheetset and by the way I am 190lb and I sometimes I can be kinda hard on my equipment

I am also around your weight, and have had no issues so far (about 20 rides). Out of the box, they were true and the tension was quite uniform.

I also have a set on my cyclocross bike, they've had no issues either (unless you count the stick that took out one spoke )
    Last edited by SSteve F; 10-23-2008 at 11:55 AM.
    It's only pain......

wannabe corporate shill
    Jan 2006
    I have the same Vuelta XRP wheelset (came on my 08 Fly 9357). I initially very concerned based on some word-of-mouth posts on this site, but I have no complaints. I'm 165 ish and ride XC , so nothing too crazy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I am 190lbs, and I have over 500 miles on my SL Team wheelset. I find they are pretty bombproof. I liked them so much that I bought another set for another bike. My friend also has a set and he had a major wreck on a large jump and his tire blew out, but the rims are perfectly true. The only problem I have run into so far is that my cassette started to chew up the freehub and now cannot be removed. So I got a new freehub from bikesisland for $25, and I had to get a new cassette. I can tell you that the new freehub I got is of a different design, so hopefully it is a little stronger than the original.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I am using these on a road bike, simply because of the disc hub. They are noticibly heavier than my former Xero wheels but that's to be expected given the extra weight of the hub and spokes (28/32 vs. 20/24). I'd say they are overkill for a road bike. Very stiff. I have about 500M on them. The hubs are very smooth. Hardly hear the bearings and engagement (free crank travel to contact) is shorter than my Xero's (that's good). I agree with others who have experienced a resistance increase running a heavier wheel vs the same increased weight somewhere else on the bike (either me or equipment).

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    My son has the Fly Ti XX 29er with the XRP Team 29er SL Vuelta wheels. They have not stayed true and the rear is now breaking drive side spokes after two months of use. Another person I know with these wheels is having the same problems. My son weighs 165 lbs., but is a very strong rider. I am planning on re-lacing these with DT competion spokes. The rims and hubs seem decent, but the spokes do not hold up under XC racing conditions.

newfydog
    May 2009
    I have a friend who broke quite a few spoke nipples. He finally replaced them all. (XRP team 29er Sl)

mtbr member
    I just got a Team Fly Ti 29er with XRP Superlites. The wheels came pretty true and felt well tensioned. My only complaint is that after a few rides I went to true and tension them and the nipples were extremely sticky and the spokes wanted to wind up before the nipple would turn. It's as if they did not use any spoke prep on the the threads. Even after I dripped lube on the nipple/rim interface to free things up but still got a lot of wind-up and poppping while turning the nips--makes precise truing a huge pain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Well, the wheels are light and hold up well as long as you stick to cross country type riding and don't make any major mistakes. I started night riding (w/ lights) with a group a few weeks ago, I'm finding that it's hard on equipment as I'm hitting things that I normally wouldn't. Last Wednesday night, I hit something (most likely a rock) on a descent, never saw it, it kicked the rear end up and to the right. I was just happy not to eat it. It bent the rear rim pretty bad, it was what some call taco-ed but I think potato chipped is more accurate. The tire wasn't hitting the frame so I finished the ride back. The nature of the bend was such that I couldn't tell what was straight and what was bent, so I decided not to attempt to straighten it myself and got a couple of recommendation for wheel builders (or straighteners in this case) in the Asheville area. I went to the first guy and after a day and a half wait, he said he couldn't do anything with it. Based on the my reference (because I was told if he couldn't fix it, it wasn't fixable), I was shopping for a new wheel set but before I pulled the trigger, I checked with the second reference. He was amazing, in less that 15 minutes, with me watching, he trued that wheel to the point that it was probably straighter than when it came out of the box. He wanted next to nothing for doing it, so I bought a few extra items while I was there (Stoked on the great service). The place is Biowheel in downtown Asheville, great service. Anyway, I took the bike out today for a normal ride, several steep descents with rocks, a few small jumps and the rear wheel is still true. I'm going to be looking for a new sturdier wheel set but at least now I can do it when I'm ready and not rush it. Biowheel is now my LBS and I hope to give them my business for the new wheel set.

But back to the issue, yes the wheels are fine but if you start getting aggressive and hit something you shouldn't, you may have problems. Now, I'm sure that true with a lot of wheel sets. I haven't had enough to experience to really make a fair comparison with other wheel sets.

mtbr member
    Had my Fly Team 29er for a couple months now (Vuelta XRP Team SL wheels), and I have to say that after having heard absolutely zero about Vuelta wheels beforehand, they are performing admirably. I live in NM, and the trails I ride tend to be quite rocky and some are very technical and littered with rock gardens. I'm a pretty strong rider (but I don't race or anything... yet), and I think I've put them to task on some pretty rough stuff. The rear wheel came out of the box just barely out of true, my lbs said give it a few rides and come back and they'd true it up... but uh... it just hasn't gotten any worse. The damn thing is tough, I'm telling you. And the front is straight as an arrow. Honestly, they're pretty light for a 29er wheelset, and I really can't say enough good things about them so far.

mtbr member
    I've got a pair of the Vuelta SL. For the money I spent they have been an excellent value. I noticed a big improvement of the stock rims on my Cannondale SL. Probably put about 300 miles of single track on them and 300 miles of city riding over the past year and half with them. I'm 205 pounds and do light to moderate riding. Zero maint until this year, when I noticed the front rim was slightly out of true. I agree with the above poster that when I trued it, the nipples were a little sticky, but the rim is back to true. For the money I spent, this rim has been an oustanding value. Are there rims out there that are stronger and lighter..yes, but they will cost two or three times as much, if not more. You can get these shipped from Bike Island off ebay for around $230. I would def buy these again if all I had was around $200. Even If I spend money to upgrade, these are a keeper as back up or project bike. Good luck brother.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Also tubeless is not gonna work on them...we r gonna try split tube as soon as they come in which should hold hopefully...the inner lip just isnt big enough to hold the bead on without some help from a split tube...we actually blew a wtb prowler off the rim trying to get it to hold.

mtbr member

Recommendations on alternatives?

I'm still dreamin of my moto, but it sounds like the Vuelta XRP wheelset is the weaker link in an otherwise awesome component set. When I get mine, I'll likely upgrade right away. Anyone recommend me a wheelset that would do the job with this same Ti 29er with XX gruppo?

I'm looking for something light but also durable. I'm considering:

Mavic C29SSMAX ($775)
    Stan's ZTR Arch ($540)
    Easton EA90 XC29 ($900)

Any suggestions or other brands?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The Stan's are good. It solved our problems. Yes, the wheelset is definitely the weak link.

mtbr member
    Consider the American Classic MTB 29. Very light for a 29er wheelset. That's my next wheelset.

mtbr member
    I'm looking for something light but also durable. I'm considering:

Mavic C29SSMAX ($775)
    Stan's ZTR Arch ($540)
    Easton EA90 XC29 ($900)
    In the same boat as you, want to upgrade Stumpy 29er FSR. Been researching like crazy.

If you want bling bling factor and have $$$ then Mavic or Easton.

If you want lighter weight at lower cost then Stan's Arch.

I would check out Industry 9 wheels too. Those are some f-n sick looking wheels. 120 point engagment and 6 paw. I would love to run those but I have 5 bikes and I know once I got a hold of some, I'd have to have them on all bikes. I would take those over everything just becasue of the 120 point engament and look factor.

Mavic and Easton are UST, which I think means you can run tubless tire without tape and just use sealeant. Mavic spokes are a tad harder to come by. Stan's you can get the spokes anywhere. Stan's seems to be able to seat wider tubes a tad bit easier. I read that the Stan's hub are a bit easier to work on. I personally love the look of the Mavic's and the Easton (love the strait spoke coming off the hub look). My brain tells me the Stan's is a no brainer (lighter and less money). If you went Stan's over Easton, you'd save about $400 bucks and about $200 over the Mavic. Good luck brother.

mtbr member
    Those American Classics are lighter than the Eastons. And cheaper. Just sayin'...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdirragon View Post
    Those American Classics are lighter than the Eastons. And cheaper. Just sayin'...
    Got my Easton Havens 29er magnesium wheelset on Ebay for $599. Many more still available. $699 for the black version.

Replaced my Vuelta 29er Teams with the Havens. I'm 240lbs and the Havens have held up to everything, roll out, and climb very well! They're still true wth not so much as a scratch on the rim. Great wheels, couldn't be happier!

newfydog
    May 2009
    Broke a spoke in my 29er vuelta superlite yesterday. I never could see the need for bladed spokes on a mtb. I just got out of the saddle on a climb and bang. I'm old, washed up and 180 lbs so they ought to be stronger than that. I hope I don't start breaking them regularly now that they have a few miles on them. I'd say that wheel has 40 days of conservative earthbound riding on it.

They work fine tubeless though. That wheel has the stock small block 4 still on it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have had my wheels for a little less than 6 months and 650 miles. The front rim is slightly bent and needs to be replaced. I just lost a spoke on the rear wheel. I'm 210 and I would like to know more about the warranty. You shouldn't have to replace a wheelset in such a short period of time. This is the weak point on the bike.

mtbr member
    Now have about 1000 miles on the Vuelta commuting miles with 700x32 tires. About 4 months ago, I removed every nipple and used anti sieze on the nipples. I'm about 215 with gear and ride them on street, light trail and occasionally jump off curbs with the street tires on them. They are holding up pretty good. I checked the rear wheel and did a small true job on it. I also tore down the rear hub and the bearings looked pretty good. Everything still feels tight and rolls good. The hub was pretty clean but has not been ridden on hard core trails for the last year. The hub is def 24 point, 3 paws. Still think not a bad set of wheels for the money if your not too hard core or a huge rider. Have no desire to upgrade these wheels on my commuter bike, they are doing fine and still roll nice.

Drive side bearing:

Non drive side bearing:

freewheel and drive side bolt cap:

non drive side bolt cap with its seal:

newfydog
    May 2009
    Just a follow-up. Broke a few more spokes and am now re-lacing the wheel with some genuine DT stainless. What kind of a moron specs a mtb with flimsy bladed spokes?

mtbr member
    Off the top of my head the Team SLs are ~ $270-ish/set @ Bike Island. I believe you get a good wheel for the $.

I got the Pro SLs OE on my Moto Fly and just put a similar set of Pro SLs on the gf's Nashbar frankenbike. We aren't bombing anything nor racing but I'm happy with them for general XC.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

newfydog
    May 2009
    Finally got around to rebuilding the wheel with new spokes.

Any wheel builder will attest that high quality rims true right up. Theses rims were awful. I'd still recommend the bikes, but would not ever buy a wheelset like those, and would recommend a heavy rider to price in some real mtb wheels when comparing price.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast