mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Vuelta wheels and tires

I am interested in upgrading to the Vuelta Team wheels on my Fantom comp. My question is, can I use a 2.1 tire on them? I think the Team wheel is 19mm, the next wheel down, vuelta pro sl are 25 mm.
    Also, for you guys that have bikes with those wheels on them, how do you like them? I am 185lbs. I stick pretty much to the local trail. Take small jumps once in a while. Nothing crazy. But need wheels that can take a moderate amount of punishment.
    Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The Vuelta Team wheels are very tough, I loved them so much I have two pairs. I weigh 190 and these things have just been great. My friend also bought a pair when he saw how tough they were. He jumped a creek bed and totally botched the landing and smashed his front wheel pulling the tire bead off and blowing up the tube. But his Team wheels stayed perfectly true! The Team wheels will take up to a 2.3 tire, so you will be fine with a 2.1. The only problem I had was the freehub which my cassette chewed up because it was made of lightweight aluminum. I got a replacement freehub from bikesisland which was made of steel, which unfortunately is 80g heavier, but I think it is worth the extra strength.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Wow, sounds great! I'm going to order a set today.
    Thanks for the quick response!

HTFU!
    I too have the Vuelta Team wheels and they arrived on my Fantom Team perfectly true and have been solid thus far (approx. 350 trail miles). I ride trails with a lot of tree roots, some trails with gnarly rock sections, and I hit every jump on the trail; the rims have been worry free. I now weigh approx. 170 but (to toot my own horn), at one point was up to 193 (long story). I am sure my wheels appreciate the weight loss (as does my wife).

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Awsome, they sound like they will be just perfect for me, I cant wait till they get here!
    Thanks for your input. Its been a great help.