gmarte12
    Feb 2008

Vuelta USA vs Vuelta XRP

Vuelta USA vs Vuelta XRP

Maybe i am opening a can of worms but i am really intrigued now. The Vuelta XRP comes in higher end motobecane mountain bikes. Looked through vuelta usa and there seems to be no trace of Vuelta xrp and their models. However, the vuelta xrp's website has a US flag similar to Vuelta USA's website but does that mean anything?

Are these the same companies? Is the "Vuelta USA" affiliated with "Vuelta XRP"????

The websites:

http://www.vueltausa.com/company.htm

http://vueltaxrpwheels.com/index.asp

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    If you look at the contact info on both websites, they list the same address in California. So yeah, I would say they're affiliated with each other.

I can't tell you much more than that... other than the fact that I still need to rip the XRP stickers off my wheels cus they're fugly.

gmarte12
    Feb 2008

thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by Compton
    If you look at the contact info on both websites, they list the same address in California. So yeah, I would say they're affiliated with each other.

I can't tell you much more than that... other than the fact that I still need to rip the XRP stickers off my wheels cus they're fugly.

hmmmm very interesting. you are right, they have the same contact info. i wonder why they separated the two sites?

so how is your wheel holding up? which model do you have and how long have you had it? also, do you ride the wheels aggressively? thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have a 2009 Fantom Team with the XRP Team wheels. I've only had it about 4 months. When I was considering purchasing this bike, I was very concerned about the durability of the wheels based upon some things I read on here. Now that I some experience with these wheels I'm not worried about them at all, but I only ride XC and I'm lightweight at 165 pounds. I've done small drops and I've crashed plenty of times, but I don't do anything really aggressive. I think if you use them for their intended purpose you'll never have a problem.

I was also really surprised that they were perfectly true out of the box. I didn't think that would be possible after UPS beat the crap out of the box.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    They are without a doubt affiliated in some manner. I think that the Vuelta USA uses different hubs than the Vuelta XRP though, because I think (too lazy to confirm this) that the USA wheels use Shimano hubs, or at least Shimano compatible hubs, not standard 6 bolt disc hubs.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

gmarte12
    Feb 2008

Did more research

well, i finally did more research and find that the weights from different models matched. so i am not sure if they are made from different hubs. weights does not include quick release.

Vuelta USA Weights Spoke counts
    Montagno Super Light 726g front/830g rear 28f/28r
    Montagno Light 804g front/997g rear 28f/32r
    Montagno 927g front/1201g rear 28f/32r

Vuelta XRP
    Mountain Team Superlite 726g front/830g rear 28f/28r
    Mountain Pro Superlite 804g front/997g rear 28f/32r
    Mountain Pro 927g front/1201g rear 28f/32r
    Mountain Comp 975g front/1251g rear 28f/32r

it now really perplexes me why they would have two names for the same model and two different sites for the same market.... hmmmm...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gmarchie12

it now really perplexes me why they would have two names for the same model and two different sites for the same market.... hmmmm...
    What I find interesting is that the Vuelta USA wheels are about twice the price. I guess you pay for the stickers.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

ISO Flowy Singletrack!
    Dec 2008
    I took a look at their 29er wheels. Looks like a pretty good deal for a cartridge bearing wheelset. Anyone running the 29er wheels?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have them and they're great!!!! And I'm a clyde too. Took some big big hits and still kick'n. Previous hubs that failed: WTB Speed Disk, Deore XT, and specialized.

gmarte12
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalayon
    I have them and they're great!!!! And I'm a clyde too. Took some big big hits and still kick'n. Previous hubs that failed: WTB Speed Disk, Deore XT, and specialized.

how long have you had them and how do their weights compare to the other brands you mentioned? are they close to the advertised weight?