cPr
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Upgrading rear shock

I recently bought a bike off craigslist, most components were brand new just taken off other bikes.
    I have a team fantom team frame but it came with a KC382 coil in the rear, as well as a ario 2.2 for replacement/upgrade. After looking at the website it seems the frame geometry on the fantoms are the same and the rear shock can differ ( i am new to biking so could be completely wrong)

Can I upgrade the coil to the Rockshox Ario without messing with the geometry?
    I asked my Local bike shop and he said that since they dont carry motobecane that they will NOT change the rear shock for me. This a normal thing for bike shops?

Cliff : Can i change the kc382 to a Rockshox Ario 2.2 on a fantom team frame.

Hoping someone has the answer!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I can't help much with the geometry issue, but he said he won't change the rear shock even if you pay him?

cPr
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yup, i couldnt believe it....Thought it was a little strange but who knows..

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cPr View Post
    I recently bought a bike off craigslist, most components were brand new just taken off other bikes.
    I have a team fantom team frame but it came with a KC382 coil in the rear, as well as a ario 2.2 for replacement/upgrade. After looking at the website it seems the frame geometry on the fantoms are the same and the rear shock can differ ( i am new to biking so could be completely wrong)

Can I upgrade the coil to the Rockshox Ario without messing with the geometry?
    I asked my Local bike shop and he said that since they dont carry motobecane that they will NOT change the rear shock for me. This a normal thing for bike shops?

Cliff : Can i change the kc382 to a Rockshox Ario 2.2 on a fantom team frame.

Hoping someone has the answer!

The eye to eye measurement needs to be the same, hardware and bushings may also differ.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Being asses? Yes, it is perfectly normal for them. Few exceptions. That is why I do not go there.

Changing shock is very easy, but some of those cheapest ones have some really oddball mounting hardware. You will need to get a shock, and proper mounting bits.

Looks like you need 168mm x 38mm shock. XFusion make good inexpensive ones..

cPr
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I guess online is where I will be shopping and asking questions!

168mm x 38mm is 6.5" x 1.5" in shock sizes correct? If so the Ario i have is 6.5 x 1.5 so the size is the same which would mean it would fit?
    Not sure if thats the case or not.

Thanks for the help, 1 question and already more informative the my LBS

Axe
    Custom User Title
    168mm x 38mm is 6.5" x 1.5" in shock sizes correct? If so the Ario i have is 6.5 x 1.5 so the size is the same which would mean it would fit?
    Not sure if thats the case or not.
    Just measure it with some calipers. Middle of the eye to middle of the eye. Then measure the exposed shaft. They all are pretty standard.

Then you measure the distance between mounting plates, upper and lower. Then check diameter of the mounting bolts - either 6mm or 8mm. Order some mounting hardware - there are two common standards for eye diameter, common 1/2" (I think Ario is it) and old pre 2011 Manitou's 12mmx12mm (older Rock Shox, XFusion also used it). If you want to go spiffy (and slightly improve reliability and performance) you can order needle bearing kits from RWC/Enduro seals (RWC SHOCK EYE NEEDLE BEARING KITS). Twice the price though. Upper bearing (where the rocker attaches) may be worth extra $15, as regular bushing wear out faster there and it moves more. Lower (on the frame), standard one (Universal Cycles -- Rock Shox Ario/MC3/Bar/Pearl Mount Kits) will be just as good.