Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

mtbr member
    Not me. I was really stoked until they didn't update anything. I mean it's a super great bike still but they should say "compares to a 2010 superfly, moots or seven"

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I've been waiting for this bike forever and I really want it, but I'm worried about the same thing. They have a statement on the website saying that some parts may be updated... but they don't list which parts will be updated... so they could ship the same old bike and call it a 2013. I'm writing them an email to see if they have anything to say about it.

banned
    Nope, I won't preorder anything any more. A preorder amounts to nothing more than a no intrest loan. Its not a good business plan and I won't do it anymore, especially in the current financial landscape.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by roadie scum View Post
    Nope, I won't preorder anything any more. A preorder amounts to nothing more than a no intrest loan. Its not a good business plan and I won't do it anymore, especially in the current financial landscape.
    Absolute genius. All this preordering BS is non-since. If they dont have the product when I want it, then I get something else.

Here hold my $5000 for six months, then delay for another month before giving me my bike with parts that may or may not be what I ordered.
    14 S-Works Epic WC
    14 Yeti ARC
    14 S-Works Crux Disc
    15 Echo Carbondale

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    You guys are probably right... this is a very hard decision because I've been waiting for this bike for a long time. Here is my email exchange with BD:

Me:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Chris,

I've been waiting for the Fly Titanium XTR 29er to arrive and it looks like the bike just went up for pre-order on your website. Unfortunately, it also looks like nothing has been updated on the bike. All of the parts, including the titanium frame, are 1-2 years old and the bike still doesn't use throu-axle technology. Is this really how the 2013 is going to look or are you still in the process of updating the listing? I really want this bike but would like to know that I'm not getting a bike that is already a couple of years out of date.

Here are just a couple of my concerns:

1. Frame: The new ORA frame (ORA ENGINNERING CO,. LTD) has seen significant improvements in terms of both strength and geometry but you seem to be using the old one still.
    2. Brakes: The Avid Elixir CR brakes have a LOT of problems and no one is using them anymore. The CR's have been replaced with the much improved Elixir 9s so I'm not sure where you guys are even getting these things from. You should be using the Elixir 9.

Anyway, your bike are a great deal and I'm not denying that. But I'm very concerned about the outdated components. I would be happy to spend a little MORE money for the newer frame and other components. Thanks!

v/r,
    Adrian

BD's Response:
    Adrian,

1) The frame is unchanged, a new frame will be offered late 2013.

2) We are in the process of confirming spec, I am told they are equipped with Elixir 9's.

Thanks,
    Chris

So what am I supposed to take from that? The customer service reps at BD always respond very quickly and courteously to my inquires, but they don't provide much helpful information. I still don't even know for sure if the bike will have Elixir 9 brakes. I know their bikes are a good deal in general, but if they expect us to spend this much money on a bike they need to be a little more transparent and explicit about what we are going to get for our money.

Ok... I'll stop my whining for now. I'll probably still buy the bike because I don't know of any better option.
    Last edited by patrascu; 06-18-2012 at 06:39 PM.

banned
    Sep 2010
    They likely don't know how it is speced until they open the box themselves.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by patrascu View Post
    I've been waiting for this bike forever and I really want it, but I'm worried about the same thing. They have a statement on the website saying that some parts may be updated... but they don't list which parts will be updated... so they could ship the same old bike and call it a 2013. I'm writing them an email to see if they have anything to say about it.
    The elixir 9s are somewhat new. Though, I did get them on my 2011 Flyteam received last fall. The difference is last year they were an upgrade because the elixir CR were still the brakes listed on the spec page. Only just now have they started listing the nines as standard equipment. Even the flyteam XO from back in May listed the CR as the standard brake, but I think I read a post from someone who got one as the fly XO having the elixir CRs upgraded to elixir 9 as well. The Flyteam 29er and 26er are still by far, I mean by a huge margin, the best equipped mountain bikes available for the price.

Bang for the buck, this the only way to go. It may not be ORA latest ti frame, but it's still titanium and ridess like one too. Can't beat that at this pricepoint.

Stop complaining, get the bike then see if you feel you got your money's worth. My guess is you will!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Well, I went ahead and placed the order today!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I don't get what the big deal is. BD is about quality at low prices. It's inherent that purchasers aren't going to get frames with the latest "technology." I quote technology because frame technology is mostly marketing and aesthetics. I'll gladly pay substantially less for an outdated frame design.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    BD is definitely about quality at low prices. But I disagree about the outdated frame design. The new design has many improvements. The obvious one is stand over height, but the geometry has also changed and the shaped design should (at least in theory) improve the frame's vibration dampening properties. Improvements in frame design are just like improvements of any other MTB components and I doubt you would try to argue that the 2009 XTR derailleurs are just as good as the 2012 derailleurs. I obviously don't know about the economics involved so I'm sure they made the decision to keep the older frame so that they wouldn't have to raise prices. In the end, I did order the bike because it is still BY FAR the best deal available anywhere. In fact, the next best deal I can find is the Sette brand from Pricepoint.com (and it's not that close).

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ti is a premium product. That's why an X7 version isn't offered. There is no reason the geo shouldn't remain on the level of the components. Curved seat tube for a shorter chainstay dimension of 435, curved downtube for shorter wheelbase and slack tapered headtube and compliance engineered seat stays are frame changes needed in a premium product. Here's review on the 29 bike section of the
    2012 Motobecane Ti Fly 29, 2012 Reba, XTR shifters, Elixir 9 Brakes.
    Originally Posted by Cemoto
    I thought the Moto would be the ultimate, but the Razzo, even though a heavier build, likes to get going faster for me.
    You still want a fun ride and the savings won't get you riding.

Thin the Herd?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm curious if anybody has received theirs yet?

I ordered mine about a week ago. I know BD's site says 7/17 for ship, but I've also heard that some of the XX Fly Ti's have shipped (listed as 8/4ship).

Looking forward to receiving and riding!

newfydog
    May 2009
    the shaped design should (at least in theory) improve the frame's vibration dampening properties. Improvements in frame design are just like improvements of any other MTB components and I doubt you would try to argue that the 2009 XTR derailleurs are just as good as the 2012 derailleurs.).
    Really guys, it is a Titanium hardtail. You can change a few features for marketing, but no, it has not, and will not evolve to the degree of components.

My wife and I have Moto ti bikes here and 15 year old Mongoose Ti bikes at another house. The Mongeese have been through three generations of forks and components, but the old frame is still world class. With updated components, I'm not sure what bikes we like better.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Winsecure View Post
    ... but I've also heard that some of the XX Fly Ti's have shipped (listed as 8/4ship).
    Where did you hear that? I'm waiting on an XX. Would love to see it arrive early!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I went back to find where I thought I saw it and I just came up with blanks. That must have been the imagination of my wishful thinking.

Sorry to give false hope

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I am really sad that I missed out on the XX Team version. Pre order was for August so I figured I had some time to sell junk to fund the bike. Now they are all sold out.

I'm less keen on the XO and XTR versions.

BD says thye might have more this winter. Maybe I'll lurk on CC for a deal on an Alma 29er.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'm not sure about the Alma 29er. I just looked it up and you would have to get an incredible deal to make it comparable with the Fly Team. In fact you, you can buy the Fly team, buy a Chinese Carbon frame from Carbonal (see link below) and still save ~$900.

Carbonal Link: GAEA - 29er, 1180g only!!! - 29er MTB - Frames

Also, you could sell your TI frame on eBay and probably make more than enough to buy a Carbon frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm not sure about the Alma 29er. I just looked it up and you would have to get an incredible deal to make it comparable with the Fly Team. In fact you, you can buy the Fly team, buy a Chinese Carbon frame from Carbonal (see link below) and still save ~$900.

Carbonal Link: GAEA - 29er, 1180g only!!! - 29er MTB - Frames

Also, you could sell your TI frame on eBay and probably make more than enough to buy a Carbon frame.
    Have other mtbr.come users ordered from that site?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Sorry... I was in the wilderness for a week with no access to the internet (BWCA). Yes, there have been other MTBR users that ordered from Carbonal. Here is a thread discussing Chinese Carbon frames:

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/ch...st7191579.html

It's a really long thread with lots of good information. Good Luck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    My new bike is finally on its way. Can't wait.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Ok.. I just got mine and put it together. I wanted to take it for a longer ride but I only got to ride around the block a couple times because it was starting to rain and I'm also very tired. Anyway, the bike is awesome and I can't wait to ride it tomorrow. In addition to the upgraded brakes, I also noticed that the fork is a Reba RL with automatic negative balancing Solo Air spring (i.e. only one valve does both positive and negative balancing). I believe this is the new 2013 version of the Reba RL. Anyway, I'll post more impressions after riding a few days.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Got mine last night with a broken derailleur hanger. Guess I'm not riding this weekend. I wrote to BD. Hopefully I get a replacement soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adonerok View Post
    Got mine last night with a broken derailleur hanger. Guess I'm not riding this weekend. I wrote to BD. Hopefully I get a replacement soon.
    Longshot...are you in the Denver/Boulder area? I have an extra.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    @elcaro1101. I appreciate the offer. I'm in NJ. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast