Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Unbranded Gravity 29 Point 5..

Looking around ebay at frames, I came across that frame with a Reba SL for a good price. How is everyone liking their Point 5? Been waiting far too long for my LBS to do my frame warranty that I just want to get something and ride.

mtbr member
    You talking about this one? If so then you can get it cheaper by going to bikeisland direct.

Save their ebay commission and you get free shipping.

mtbr member
    I'm in TX. I don't think he charges tax via ebay. Tax would bring it back up to $540 or so. But seems I might not have to do this now. Shop called saying my frame was in.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I recently purchased the 29.4 complete bike, which I'm pretty sure has the same frame.

I feel like its relatively easy to adapt to a fairly wide range of geometries and to still ride well,

and that being said, I find the rear end to be a bit long, which has the consequence that I have to make more of an effort (relative to my old 26er) to keep my weight back so my tire keeps traction on steep climbs.

Overall, the wheelbase is somewhat long, and I notice that I'm less able to control my distribution of weight over the two tires. Its good thing because the front wheel doesn't tend to come off the ground that much, but bad because the rear sometimes has inadequate traction.

I was initially worried that bunny-hopping would be more difficult with the bigger bike (i.e. from 26 to 29 w/ wider wheel base), but I haven't noticed a difference.

The grey paintjob looks great. I'm hoping that I can remove the gravity logos with a solvent that won't mess up the paint beneath, but haven't tried yet. Anybody got any ideas on how to do this?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Gravity Point 5 frame

Hi,
    Since this is my first post I wanted to introduce myself a bit
    Background: 36 years old, always skated, snowboarded, rode BMX then MTB since '89.

I really like building bikes, working on bikes and riding bikes. I have been a mostly urban rider since moving to NYC from Paris in 97.

Prefer nice steel but somehow keep buying aluminum bikes because finding what I want in steel is never easy! I really like light bikes - overkill for my skill level and what I use 'em for but hey, it's my own personal fetish.

I had used MTBR as a source for reviews for years and found a lot of heated flame wars about some of the e-commerce bikes that I was never quite sure what to think of. I just built up a killer bike based on the unbranded Gravity frame fork combo that is available online so I wanted to weigh in.

If you are looking for hand crafted precision and quality, or brand recognition, it's not going to be for you.

If you don't care about that and are ok with some flaws but overall good quality/performance you may want to consider one.

So far I love the frame but my guess is that the components make this bike. I've put about 60 miles on it riding streets, staircases urban obstacles and yes, even the bike path.

I had originally wanted to have a custom steel hardtail frame built for me but decided to give the generic aluminum frame a shot while I find the right builder and spend the $ on a really nice build kit. I figured if I hate the frame, I'd have essentially just paid for the fork but I really have no qualms with the frame. In terms of feel, I prefer it to my CAAD 4 and it's quiet - no creaks or "ting, ting!".

That said, here is what you can expect:

The good:
    It is light, stiff and looks good. The welds are pretty clean, seat tube is smooth and post doesn't slip. No surprise, the geometry is as expected. Replaceable hanger is nice. No creaks. Easy to flick up over and on to stuff... (Light parts!)

The bad:
    You can scratch the paint by looking at it too hard(well almost). Left dropout seemed tight for my hubs, I scraped out the excess paint and the fit was fine... The supporting gusset between the head/down tube is lame. looks like an afterthought and the weld quality/ metal cut look cheap compared to the rest. Most would not notice it but I did.
    Maybe I'm being picky?

Conclusion:

I'd been riding a Redline d440 with 8 speeds and loved the setup.
    Anyone here old enough to remember the BMX companies that made "F1: bikes? They were geared 20" bikes with 6 speed indexed shifting. I had one and always loved rear only gearing....

Somewhere in my non stop comparison shopping for frames and parts I came across a review of the Specialized Stumpjumer EVO 29er, and that became the mark to beat...
    Wow. Killer "out of the box" bike.

I considered a lot of bikes & frames too: The Voodoo Borkor and Sukri frames were front runners, as well as the Sette 29er hard tail ( the graphics were really not my thing and the top tube seemed too upright, I prefer more sloped), tried to fine an older SUNN frame with Columbus tubes but no luck... I came really close on the Borkor but I just kept hesitating because of the Alu. plus the question of which fork was bugging me.

I had been riding rigid for some time and wanted to go either crazy light with a carbon fork or try suspension again... I like the Reba RL fork and keep it at a high pressure and locked a lot of the time.

Anyway, for a bunch of overlapping reasons I felt like the F/F combo I chose is really wicked.

I'll post some shots.
    Alex
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Unbranded Gravity 29 Point 5..-img_1744.jpg  

Unbranded Gravity 29 Point 5..-img_1737.jpg  

Unbranded Gravity 29 Point 5..-img_1735.jpg  

Unbranded Gravity 29 Point 5..-img_1732.jpg  

Unbranded Gravity 29 Point 5..-img_1739.jpg  

Last edited by malexbone; 06-21-2011 at 08:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Looking good! what size frame is that? Any idea how much it weighs?
    The 17.5 inch frame I ordered is on UPS' truck for delivery. I can't wait to get it.
    I'll post pics once I get it all built up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Cool, mine is 17.5 too. I'm 5'11 and the fit is god and still small enough to feel BMX-ish which I prefer. I don't have a scale and was in such a hurry to build that I didn't bother to weigh it but it felt pretty light. Probably not breaking any records with the frame but the bike is like a feather because of the overall build... My guess that it compares favorably with other hydro formed alu. frames. The fork felt heavy by comparison but it's totally worth it when you want it.

Anyone else have a 17.5 frame and know what it weighs?
    It would be cool to know without having to take apart the bike!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    My 17.5 frame was delivered today. The bare frame with the derailleur hanger and without the headset cups or any of the screws weighed 1896 grams(4.18 pounds) on my kitchen scale.
    Not the lightest frame but not too bad. The Reba fork is 1750 grams(3.86 pounds).

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    hey did you have any issues with the rear drop-out being too wide? On the frame that I got, I noticed that the width of the drop out is too wide so that when I try to mount the wheel the quick release skewer pulls the 2 sides in towards the wheel. Not sure if this will be a big issue or not?

mtbr member
    nice looking build!

we have the same box too

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yeah, the spacing seemed slightly wider than I expected.
    It hasn't been a problem though. I'm going to build another one with the cheaper frame and a more basic part spec as a gift for some old friends. I'll post that here too...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by malexbone View Post
    Cool, mine is 17.5 too. I'm 5'11 and the fit is god and still small enough to feel BMX-ish which I prefer. I don't have a scale and was in such a hurry to build that I didn't bother to weigh it but it felt pretty light. Probably not breaking any records with the frame but the bike is like a feather because of the overall build... My guess that it compares favorably with other hydro formed alu. frames. The fork felt heavy by comparison but it's totally worth it when you want it.

Anyone else have a 17.5 frame and know what it weighs?
    It would be cool to know without having to take apart the bike!
    I'm 6' with a 32" inseam and was thinking about getting one of the 17.5 frames. Could you tell me what your inseam measurment is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My inseam is 33". If you like your frame on the smaller side it should be good.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Just finished! Total weight is 25.75 pounds.
    I have no standover whatsoever but the reach feels pretty good. Probably won't get a chance to ride it till early next week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Lookin' good!
    What kind of brakes? They look serious.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks.
    Those are Magura Louise brakes with Jagwire hoses.
    They are on the heavier side but I had them sitting around so I threw them on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Nice. Nothing like having a good parts bin.
    It will be cool to know what you think of the frame and your build once you've had some time to ride it.

mtbr member
    Can we get an update on how these bikes are holding up? i am looking to build one up as a SS after i sell my full suspension. Hopefully that happens soon and i can get my order in. I am 6'3" and usually like about a 24" TT. Does a 19" sound right?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    mine is holding up just fine. I've only put 82 miles on it but so far really like it(only had it for about a month).
    My two issues/gripes are
    1) the rear drop-out on mine are out of spec and way too wide(supposed to be 135mm but mine measured out to about 140mm) I just squeeze it together with the skewer no issues yet.
    2) the paint really sucks. I have a few paint chips on the bottom of the down tube already from rock hits.
    As far as sizing goes, I think the best thing to do would be to go and test ride a Trek/Gary Fisher 29er since the measurements are almost exactly the same(except the G2 geometry thing on the Trek/GF frames)

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    mine is holding up just fine. I've only put 82 miles on it but so far really like it(only had it for about a month).
    My two issues/gripes are
    1) the rear drop-out on mine are out of spec and way too wide(supposed to be 135mm but mine measured out to about 140mm) I just squeeze it together with the skewer no issues yet.
    2) the paint really sucks. I have a few paint chips on the bottom of the down tube already from rock hits.
    As far as sizing goes, I think the best thing to do would be to go and test ride a Trek/Gary Fisher 29er since the measurements are almost exactly the same(except the G2 geometry thing on the Trek/GF frames)
    Are the rear dropouts wider than normal to accommodate larger hubs? I think I read that somewhere, but I'm not sure. I'm a newb with mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    My two issues/gripes are
    I have hte 29.4, have same dropout issue. a little annoying, but I've seen this sort of problem even in fancy bikes from the most reputable companies, so I wasn't surprised at all. Perhaps its intentional, but still a pain in the ass taking the wheel on and off.

paint is great on mine, only a few chips on the chainstay and I've probably put 300 miles on it. I love the semi-gloss grey. Anybody figure out how to get the white logos off?

Any reports on max tire size for the frame?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman View Post
    I have hte 29.4, have same dropout issue. a little annoying, but I've seen this sort of problem even in fancy bikes from the most reputable companies, so I wasn't surprised at all. Perhaps its intentional, but still a pain in the ass taking the wheel on and off.

paint is great on mine, only a few chips on the chainstay and I've probably put 300 miles on it. I love the semi-gloss grey. Anybody figure out how to get the white logos off?

Any reports on max tire size for the frame?
    What do you mean it's a pain in the ass to take off the wheel?

Also, is the tire still centered even tho the dropouts are wider than the hub?

Is the white logo on top of the paint? Maybe it's just a sticker. If I get my 29.4, I'll try to peel the smaller ones first.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ccv2011 View Post
    What do you mean it's a pain in the ass to take off the wheel?

Also, is the tire still centered even tho the dropouts are wider than the hub?

Is the white logo on top of the paint? Maybe it's just a sticker. If I get my 29.4, I'll try to peel the smaller ones first.
    Its a pain in the butt to install/remove the rear wheel cuz if the bike is on a stand, you have to hold the wheel, then somehow un-screw the skewer until you can get the wheel off(as you are un-screwing the skewer the sides are getting wider).
    But yeah so far the wheel seems centered on the frame. I don't have any weird brake rubbing issues or shifting issues. Its just annoying that the drop out is off spec and wider than it should be. And since the 2 sides are being squeezed together I wonder if the longevity of the frame will be affected.
    I got the unbranded frame so no idea about the paint

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Its a pain in the butt to install/remove the rear wheel cuz if the bike is on a stand, you have to hold the wheel, then somehow un-screw the skewer until you can get the wheel off(as you are un-screwing the skewer the sides are getting wider).
    But yeah so far the wheel seems centered on the frame. I don't have any weird brake rubbing issues or shifting issues. Its just annoying that the drop out is off spec and wider than it should be. And since the 2 sides are being squeezed together I wonder if the longevity of the frame will be affected.
    I got the unbranded frame so no idea about the paint
    Thanks for the info. Your bike looks really clean. Too bad BD doesn't offer a blank bike option like that.

I'm really curious about the stress it puts on the frame, but I've read once in while that people will squeeze the frame together like that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ccv2011 View Post
    Thanks for the info. Your bike looks really clean. Too bad BD doesn't offer a blank bike option like that.

I'm really curious about the stress it puts on the frame, but I've read once in while that people will squeeze the frame together like that.
    I was a bit worried to so I contacted the seller(bikeisland.com, same as bikesdirect I think). The guy told me to just ride it.
    There is supposedly a 10 year warranty on the frame.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast