Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My Gravity Point 4 doesn't have the spacing issue with the rear hub.

Anyone try to remove the logos yet? I'm gonna try a blow dryer/heat gun first, then try chemicals (nail polish remover, etc.) and a pinstripe removal wheel if it comes down to it, but I'd like some guidance. I'll let everyone know what happens.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by lardo View Post
    My Gravity Point 4 doesn't have the spacing issue with the rear hub.

Anyone try to remove the logos yet? I'm gonna try a blow dryer/heat gun first, then try chemicals (nail polish remover, etc.) and a pinstripe removal wheel if it comes down to it, but I'd like some guidance. I'll let everyone know what happens.
    no luck with acetone

and I really like the base coat, so I'm hoping to find a way to only remove the logo and not mess up what's beneath.

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    Does anyone have the geometry sheet for the 19" frame?

Also, how wide of a tire can I fit in the rear?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by malexbone View Post
    Cool, mine is 17.5 too. I'm 5'11 and the fit is god and still small enough to feel BMX-ish which I prefer.
    is it possible that you do have a very low saddle position? i am 5'10 and cant really decide between 17.5 or 19 (or even the fantoms).

my inseam is 32" (without shoes, spd system) but i tend to prefer a higher (or more towards the front) saddle position. i am bit afraid that i will be in troubles with the insert of the seat post in the seat tube.

i am riding my current bit with 27" from middle of the drivetrain to the clamps from the seatpost/saddle. so it seems i would have around 5" to insert the seatpost in the seat tube, doesnt sound so much.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD33 View Post
    Does anyone have the geometry sheet for the 19" frame?

Also, how wide of a tire can I fit in the rear?

Thanks
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...y_29er_geo.gif
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Test Dumby View Post
    Thanks... I hope the 19 is not too big...

We'll see I guess since I ordered it before seeing this geo chart........

mtbr member
    I'm finally getting around to my build now. Anybody got any more pictures of how you built yours? Mine is in the shop now getting the bb faced. I am going to build it up Ss with an eno eccentric hub. Anyone else running it SS?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    21" frame weighted 4.9 lbs. Welds all look good. Derailer hanger came in bent but they sent me a replacement which arrived 3 days later.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    rear tire looks to be good up to about 2.4. of course depends on rim width. 2.35 should be safe

mtbr member
    I finally got around to taking pictures of mine a couple days ago. I think I may take it back apart now and go with a SS specific frame. I love the way this thing handles and the geometry fits me perfect. However I am planning on racing the Shenandoah 100 and a couple things I have noticed about this bike as a SS is that the axle makes it harder to change a tube and I loose chain tension after rough terrain. I have raced it on shorter races and it did fine but there is no doubt in my mind that I would have to work on it during the 10-12 hours of the S100.

Just for fun here are a couple pics from my crappy camera.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Unbranded Gravity 29 Point 5..-black-bike.jpg  

Unbranded Gravity 29 Point 5..-homebrew.jpg  

Unbranded Gravity 29 Point 5..-enoeccentric.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nice bike.

I've seen some SS bikes with a chain tensioner. Maybe that's what you need to fix your problem?

Looking at those pics makes me want to drop the $100 for a powder coat on my grey Point 4.

mtbr member
    it would be worth it to powder coat the frame. The paint that is on there chips off ridiculously easy. My top tube has chips in the paint from where I bumped into the bike while it was on the stand and the handle bar swung around and touched the frame. Like I said before, the geometry feels great and the bike is pretty light but it just doesn't work as a SS.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by oromis View Post
    I finally got around to taking pictures of mine a couple days ago. I think I may take it back apart now and go with a SS specific frame. I love the way this thing handles and the geometry fits me perfect. However I am planning on racing the Shenandoah 100 and a couple things I have noticed about this bike as a SS is that the axle makes it harder to change a tube and I loose chain tension after rough terrain. I have raced it on shorter races and it did fine but there is no doubt in my mind that I would have to work on it during the 10-12 hours of the S100.

Just for fun here are a couple pics from my crappy camera.
    What gearing are you using in this picture? Do you need a tensioner for it?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    here's my 29 point 4. I'm quite happy with it. The rear end spacing on the frame is a bit too wide. The chainstays are a bit too long for my taste. I really have to work to get my weight back on climbs. But it does go up as well as any other bike I've ridden if not better, though I haven't ridden other 29ers off road.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Unbranded Gravity 29 Point 5..-photo017.jpg  

Unbranded Gravity 29 Point 5..-photo018.jpg  

Unbranded Gravity 29 Point 5..-photo051.jpg  

Unbranded Gravity 29 Point 5..-photo052.jpg  

mtbr member
    @pwu_1 I am running 32:18. I don't need a traditional tensioner because the rear hub is eccentric meaning it can rotate forwards or backwards in the dropout. check them out at White Industries

mtbr member
    I ended up getting inpatient waiting on stuff to sell so I could buy my new frame. I bought a new wheel and a tensioner until I can get up the money to buy a frame with sliding dropouts. I hate the way it looks but its better than not riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I'm a bit of dilemma.

I ride an On-One Inbred 29'er, and it's set up for XC racing... well, sort of. Last year I raced a 26" XC bike, but I've upgraded my 29'er to make it as race'able as possible. I run it rigid, and I want to upgrade the fork to a Reba or better.

BikeIsland is essentially giving this frame away - you can get the frame and fork set for $499 with free shipping - which is a ridiculous steal. The fork alone goes for that much.

So, pursuing a lighter weight for XC, I may just replace my heavier steel frame with this and build my Inbred into a rigid SS (again).

So, how does the geometry feel for XC use? I have great components, and I think I may be able to sneak in at around 25-26 lbs going from steel to aluminum. Do any of you race this frame?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I'm a bit of dilemma.

I ride an On-One Inbred 29'er, and it's set up for XC racing... well, sort of. Last year I raced a 26" XC bike, but I've upgraded my 29'er to make it as race'able as possible. I run it rigid, and I want to upgrade the fork to a Reba or better.

BikeIsland is essentially giving this frame away - you can get the frame and fork set for $499 with free shipping - which is a ridiculous steal. The fork alone goes for that much.

So, pursuing a lighter weight for XC, I may just replace my heavier steel frame with this and build my Inbred into a rigid SS (again).

So, how does the geometry feel for XC use? I have great components, and I think I may be able to sneak in at around 25-26 lbs going from steel to aluminum. Do any of you race this frame?

Thanks in advance.
    I don't race, but I ride lots of fast cx with plenty of folks who do race. To me it rides great. Steering is plenty accurate and I like how its longer(top tube) than my old 26er, but that totally depends on what you're used to. Mine is non-stop creaky at the seatpost, YMMV.

But I've never been too picky about geometry. I generally have adapted to any conventional geometry without much comment.

In my post above I mention the long chainstays. This was the main thing I noticed. I think the longer front end with the 100mm stem I'm running put more of my weight up front, leading to back wheel slippage on the steepest of climbs. Over the last 1.5 yrs I've more than adapted and I can climb better than ever, because of or despite the geo. I'm currently changing my bar position as I"m going to fat front and changing the axle to crown, so I might end up being slightly less stretched in the near future.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks! That's what I was looking for. I know the Reba has had some great reviews, and an aluminum frame would be a lot stiffer than my Inbred. The Inbred has short chainstays, which makes descending a bit sketchy... hmmmm... decisions decisions.

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Thanks! That's what I was looking for. I know the Reba has had some great reviews, and an aluminum frame would be a lot stiffer than my Inbred. The Inbred has short chainstays, which makes descending a bit sketchy... hmmmm... decisions decisions.
    The Gravity frame has 445mm chainstays. The Inbred 29er has 444mm chainstays. I know I probably wouldn't feel the 1mm difference. The head tube on the Gravity is slacker by 1.2 degrees as well. BTW I ordered the Gravity Point 3 frame set with Tora fork and should be on the door step Thursday!

Gravity frame

Inbred frame

Perpetual n00b
    It's here!

When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    dgw2jr, looks good. does your seatpost creak?

and....
    I just can't help myself!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Unbranded Gravity 29 Point 5..-fat_front-side.jpg  

Unbranded Gravity 29 Point 5..-fat_front-front.jpg  

Perpetual n00b
    Nice fat front! My seatpost doesn't creak, probably because it's slathered in lube. The geometry is very confidence-inspiring.

Edit: Got the first real ride on this beast today at Farmdale in Peoria, IL. Before we left home I had to replace the cassette, which I had been using for the last 6 months. All the rivets that were holding it together were destroyed and it wouldn't shift properly. I didn't realize how bad it was until I removed the cassette and it fell into pieces!

So with all the kinks worked out, it rode splendidly! The 100mm Tora fork works very well for this price point. I like to turn the preload all the way down on coil-spring forks for some reason, and turn the rebound towards the rabbit. I find it easier to climb, as well as track-stand, probably because my weight is distributed more evenly on this frame. My previous frame was too small and I was using a 110mm stem and the seat slammed back on the rails with the seatpost at min. insertion level to get it to fit me.

For reference, the frame with headset cups installed (out of the box) and derailler hanger is 4.44 pounds.
    Last edited by dgw2jr; 12-01-2012 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Pseudo-review

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Unbranded Gravity 29 Point 3

Over the last few weeks I've been building up my Gravity 29 point 3 ordered from BikesDirect. I finally got it all built and took it out for a 1.5 hour ride yesterday at Saw Wee Kee in Oswego, IL.

Overall I was pretty happy with the ride. Though with wet leaves and slippery rocks abound at SWK... the tires weren't confidence inspiring. Maybe that's the tires... maybe that's the terrain? I should have brought my Gary Fisher Rig as a comparison tool... the Rig seems to hook up on everything I've ridden it on so far.

Like many other posters I wanted a simple 1x9 setup... I never really need more than 9 gears on the terrain in Illinois and Wisconsin. So far I'm happy with that decision.

She weighs in at 29.5 pounds... not bad considering I went for lower cost over lower weight in many of the components.

• White FSA Gravity Gap Riser Handlebar
    • Avid BB7 Mechanical Disc Brake Calipers
    • Bontrager Race Lite Saddle
    • ERGON GP1-L ERGO Grips
    • SRAM X.0 9 Speed Rear Twist Shifter
    • KMC X9.93 9-Speed 113-Link
    • Truvativ Stylo Single Speed Crankset 33T w/ Bash Guard (used Ebay)
    • TruVativ Hussefelt Stem 40mm 0deg 31.8 1-1/8
    • Jagwire brake shifter cable housing kit
    • 160mm Avid HS1 CS Rotors
    • SRAM 9.0 Brake levers (used from the 26")
    • SRAM x9 rear derailluer (used from the 26")
    • Bontrager wheelset (used off Craigslist)
    • Truvativ Seatpost (you can't find these in colors anywhere but China so me thinks it's not genuine)
    • N-GEAR JUMP STOP

Unbranded Gravity 29 Point 5..-photo-3.jpg
    Unbranded Gravity 29 Point 5..-photo-2.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Unbranded Gravity 29 Point 5..-photo-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Im trying to sell my barely used 2012 WHITE point 4 for $650. Still, weird enough, no takers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast