mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Tweaking my Fantom 29 Pro

I've been riding my Fanton 29 Pro for a couple of months now, and I think I almost have everything dialed in just right. Here are some of the changes I made.

400mm seatpost - the short one they ship with the 21" frame is well....too short.
    Seat - changed to a WTB Power V after bending the stock seat. I'm just too big (6'7". 260).
    Ghetto Tubeless - one thorn flat during just about every ride prompted me to get some Stan's and try ghetto tubeless. I couldn't be happier. No problems so far on the stock rims and tires.
    Chain - changed to a SRAM and kept the stock chain as a backup. I hope I never have to use it (it's not good)
    Grips - I added some Ergon grips with barends before a 3hr ride yesterday and they are well worth the money for me. No pain of sore palms at all after I adjusted the angle to the sweet spot.

I'm finally at the point where I like everything about the way the bike is riding. Sure, there are still some thing I could and might change, but I don't have any more of the little annoyances that cause me to spend most of the ride trying to figure out how to fix something.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Sorta the same here, 17":

Thudbuster LT
    Crankbrothers 50/50X
    Ergon GX-1
    Slimed tubes at 35/40 F/R

I probably need a longer stem. Talk to me about the chain, why is the stock one bad?
    What size SRAM and do they make one in gold that will fit?

I love the bike.

P

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm not a chain guru, so I found out how bad the stock chain was by accident. I wanted a powerlink so I could take the chain off for cleaning, and I wanted a backup chain. I bought the SRAM 971 and put the whole thing on. The difference was night and day in terms of feel and smooth shifting.

Former Bike Wrench
    Though I haven't broke one myself, the KMC Z9000 that comes on the Motobecane has a piss poor rating of 1.95/5 on MTBR with most complaints being that it broke. My personal experience with a Z9000 is that its kind of a poor shifting chain. Chains are an interesting thing because IME as a mechanic...I would say 80% chain failures are due to poor maintenance and shifting (the two chains I've snapped were from my own clumsy shifting). So often the reviews are a bit skew'd.

That said, I've used chains from KMC, Shimano, Connex, and SRAM and I personally have always liked the shifting of the Shimano chains (even though I'm a SRAM guy otherwise). Since the SRAM gold powerlinks work fine on Shimano chains...I use Shimano chains on both my bikes with the SRAM link for ease of removal. My favorite for performance and durability is the XTR CN7701 chain. If you look at reviews for 9 speed chains, the CN 7701 has a 4.25/5 rating which is quite high for 9 speed chains.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    How is the Rohloff SLT 99 ?
    It has the best rating on mtbr.

Why does bikesdirect keep using the Z9000 ? It cant cost them THAT much to get a better chain.

Former Bike Wrench

Not Sold in the US

Quote Originally Posted by wearetheborg
    How is the Rohloff SLT 99 ?
    It has the best rating on mtbr.

Why does bikesdirect keep using the Z9000 ? It cant cost them THAT much to get a better chain.
    The Rohloff chain is not sold in the US anymore

As far as specs...many manufacturers use the KMC Z9000 because its super cheap and shaving money in not so obvious areas (such as chains, hubs, saddles) is pretty common. FYI the Windsor comes with a Shimano HG-73 (not KMC HG-73) which is a better chain than a KMC Z9000...and with a SRAM Powerlink installed is easily removed for cleaning...not that you should buy a bike just for the chain

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    ...not that you should buy a bike just for the chain
    No, not just for the chain; but anyway this chain also has bad some bad reviews. I will do a lot of commuting and lot of crazy drivers here, so I really do not want the chain snapping off. I guess I should keep my eyes open for the rohloff,
    cambriabike only had te road version:
    http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=26245

Right now I'm debating whether its worth it to get the cliff 29 team. As far as I could tell, apart from being 1lb lighter, the Reba fork does not offer benefit over the tora, so I'm a bit torn. But if I'm able to work out a deal, the cliff 29 team will cost about $140-$150 over the 29 pro, still not sure its worth it...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Not content to leave well enough alone, I found a deal on some MTB shoes that were big enough for my feet, and I put some Time Atac Alium pedals on my Fantom29 Pro.

It's my first time with clipless pedals, and I was expecting a good dose of falling over at first. So far, I'm finding it harder to clip in than to unclip. I think I'm going to like this.