Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Tubeless on Fantom 29 DS

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  pursuiter 
#1 ·
Anyone running tubeless on the stock WTB FX23 Rims via Stan's or DIY tubeless conversion kit?

I've read mixed reviews on the Stan's kit with narrow rims like the WTBs. Down the road, I'm going to upgrade the rims to the Stans Flow or Arch EXs, but trying to decide if its worth it to use the conversion kit in the mean time, or just run traditional tubes with 2.35" front/2.1" rear tire. I ride in the Southeast (i.e. mostly loose over hard pack, often muddy or damp).

Feel free to post your tubeless or even tube setup on the Fantom 29 DS.

#2 ·
I'm running Stans Flow EX with Maxxis and Kenda "Tubeless Ready" (TR) tires. I've seated the beads only using a floor pump, never needed a compressor. TR sidewalls are sealed, I just use the green slime, no need for Stans sealant.

I never tried any of the the intermediate tubeless solutions, I was scared away by all the bad stories of beads burping, beads never seating and sidewalls leaking continously. With the new TR tires things may be more user friendly. I would avoid any UST solutions, it looks to be a dying standard, TR tires are plentiful in the market.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.