mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Trying to decide between 2 bikes

If you have to decide between a Motobecane Fantom 29 pro or a Windsor Cliff 29 pro which would you pick? And why?

I have read quite a bit on the Motobecane on here but haven't really seen much on the Windsor bikes.

mtbr member
    I considered these two as well. I would have picked the Windsor. Here are my thoughts on the two:

Reasons for Windsor:

The wheels on the Fantom have lower quality rims that do not have eyelets, making them less durable in the long run.

The Windsor has Juicy 5 vs. the Juicy 3 on the Fantom

Personal preference for the Sram drivetrain on the Windsor vs. Shimano on the Fantom

The Fantom comes with a remote lockout for the fork, but the specs also lie about the travel. See that * next to the 100mm? That means that its actually 80mm, same as the Windsor, and can be converted to 100mm by a shop or someone with experience.

Windsor comes with better tires

They will also fit differently. The Fuji geometry has a longer top tube, following recent trends in bike fit. Your can use a shorter, quicker stem with this bike and still have the same overall reach as the Fantom.

Nitpicking: the Fantom comes with a silly looking riser stem.

Reasons for Fantom:

The Fantom definitely has a better crankset

The Fantom also comes with bigger 185mm brake rotors

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

how does that windsor that you picked ride?

how much does it weigh? how do the welds look? frame alignment ok? how was customer service? thanks for your thoughts and info

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by duke walker
    how much does it weigh? how do the welds look? frame alignment ok? how was customer service? thanks for your thoughts and info
    Hehe, sorry. I said I would have picked the Windsor

I ended up with an Ibex Section 29 over the Windsor.
    It does cost over $100 more, not including shipping, but I I fell in love the with the sexy red paint job
    I wanted BB7 mechanical discs over hydros. However, most people would prob. make the opposite choice.
    good quality cartridge bearing hubs and better rims = durable wheels that should last a long time
    a balanced build that doesn't skimp on the little things. i.e. very good headset. name brand bars, stem, seatpost. better saddle. Even the tubes turned out to be nice lightweight ones and the cables and housing are Jagwire.
    I felt more comfortable with Ibex as a company

However, any of these three bikes would be a great choice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

$100 more is nothing if you get better gear

its much cheaper than replacing junk that goes into the trash. so what does the ibex weigh? 30# is just too much for a hardtail for me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by duke walker
    its much cheaper than replacing junk that goes into the trash. so what does the ibex weigh? 30# is just too much for a hardtail for me
    If 30lbs is too much for then you shouldn't be looking at entry lever 29ers. A stock Cobia or Rockhopper both weigh even more, in the 31-32 lb range.

Mine weighed 30 on the button, but that included reflectors But with the money I saved from buying online I already bought some nice extras and made mine a bit lighter than it was.

Cartographer
    Yes, the Ibex is a good bike. They are both good actually. Either way you buy, you will be getting a great deal compared to the designer brand-name bikes out there. Also, no sales tax is a plus.
    2008 Motobecane-USA Fantom Pro
    Cleveland Area Mountain Biker