mtbr member
    May 2010

Tough Choice: Fantom Team vs. Fantom Pro DS

Hey folks,

I'm looking to pull the trigger on a nice racing bike for the upcoming year in Colorado. I thought about doing a hardtail, but the trails here in CO aren't very conducive for it (IMHO). I'm looking at the Fantom Team and the Fantom Pro DS. For the $300 price difference is the Team worth it? My budget is between $1800-$2200.

Fantom Team
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...am_3x10_xi.htm

Fantom Pro DS
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ds_3x10_xi.htm

AZ
    banned
    For that money I would buy A Ti 29er from B.D. I know you said no HT's but for a XC race ride you could do a lot worse .

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    I race a HT 29er at Winter Park, and it's great on all courses except for the Mary Jane circuit (too bumpy).
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks. I know a lot of people recommend the 29ers. However, I'm only 5'7". Does anyone ride a 29er at my size?

I also plan on racing the Winter Park series.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverGuy
    Thanks. I know a lot of people recommend the 29ers. However, I'm only 5'7". Does anyone ride a 29er at my size?

I also plan on racing the Winter Park series.

There are a lot of people of your height on 29ers .

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I ride and race a Fantom Pro DS and I love it. There might be better bikes to get specifically for racing but I think the Fantom is great. You can bring the rear suspension down to three inches and bring the fork down to 100mm for a more race setup. If the bike is just for racing get the Team or the Ti 29er like they said.

mtbr member
    Anyone know what the Fantom PRO DS weight is?

DynoDon
    It says 28 to 29 lbs in the spec sheet for the DS, but it can be brought down to 26 or 27lbs easily, I've got a Fantom Team, mine is up from where it started to 26 lbs, I put on heavier parts in the drive train, seat, hanlebars, tires, a few grams here and there, I'm real happy with the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott
    There are a lot of people of your height on 29ers .
    I'm 5'8" with short legs (29.5" inseam, hence the handle theBody -- I'm all torso), and the 17" Moto Fantom Pro I bought is a little too big for me. I ride it (it's loads of fun) and it's manageable, but you really want to go 15".

I'm riding mine until I find a 15" frame for a steal, then it's adios 17".

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by theBody
    I'm 5'8" with short legs (29.5" inseam, hence the handle theBody -- I'm all torso), and the 17" Moto Fantom Pro I bought is a little too big for me. I ride it (it's loads of fun) and it's manageable, but you really want to go 15".

I'm riding mine until I find a 15" frame for a steal, then it's adios 17".
    There are some 5'7" guys on here that ride a Small Fantom DS Pro and say it feels too small. Do a search for Fantom Sizing to get an idea of which size to choose.

I'm 5'8" and I ride a Medium DS Pro with a 90mm stem. It feels good for XC/Trail but I'm tempted to try an 80mm stem. I probably wont though. I'll admit it feels a bit on the bigger side but it doesn't feel too big for me, and I'd rather be inside the bike than on top of it.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Does anyone make a 16" or 16.5" frame? I was at the LBS and got on a 15 and it felt way too small. A 17 felt just a tad big. But if I had to choose one I would have gone with the 17 and tried to find a shorter stem.