mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Total noob! totally excited!

So first a little background: I used to ride a beat up early 90s gary that was too small for me, until it got stolen. I generally ride bike paths hard for exercise and just to be out of the house. Before my bike was stolen i was doing about 15-20 miles 3 times a week averaging 17-18 mph. Its been 5 years since Ive ridden, and ive revently got the itch. This morning i stumbled upon motobecanes, and being very suprised by the price points researched them all morning. Needless to say im the proud new owner of a 300ht. Im fully aware that this is an entry level bike, and i assume for the style of riding im preparing to do this bike will suit me just fine. But i have a few questions, and figured this would be a great place to ask.

Firstly, ive never assembled a bike before, however i am very mechanically inclined. I generally can fix anything that breaks around the house, so im thinking i should be able to handle this. Any tips/things i need to know? snafus to watch out for?

Secondly, i watched a review on youtube from a dude who was pretty hard core, and he made it sound like im going to need to true the wheels, adjust the spoke tension, and adjust the derailleurs. Can a total rookie do these things? or am i going to want to bring it in to the LBS.

Thirdly, the style of riding im planning on doing will not require any kind of suspension, in fact suspension will generally hinder me. I am not familair at all with forks/preload/suspension. Will i be able to "tighten" the [SIZE=2]SUNTOUR SF9-M2 + Preload so that it has no give at all? is this something the LBS can do for me? OR am i stuck buying a new fork that allows this?[/SIZE]

Lastly, is there anything i can do to contain my excitement for the next 3-4 days while the bicycle is being shipped????

I thank you for any info.

mtbr member
    Congrats man, I know the stoke feeling. Not much you can do to contain the excitement - just research all you can on all things bike maintenance to get a jump start.

As far as assembling the bike, I think if you know your way around a wrench you should be okay. I would recommend a torque wrench and google the correct torque spec for stem bolts, etc. Also do a once over on all the bolts on the bike and make sure they're tight.

Derailieur adjustment is the bain of my existance, but it can be done with some patience, and yes you'll probably have to adjust those both front and rear. A shop stand, or hanging the bike seat from something so that you can spin the wheels will make a world of difference. In my experience (two bikes from BD and one from a shop), I never needed to true a wheel or mess with spoke tension on a new bike. I was a noob 2 1/2 years ago, now I've got 3 bikes and have done all my own shop work. The parktool and pinkbike websites have some great tutorial writeups, and youtube can be your friend also.

Regarding your question about the fork, I'm not familiar with the myself, but I believe its a coil sprung (not air) with adjustable preload. What you're asking for is a "lockout" which means it will become nearly rigid and wont give. I doubt the fork has a lockout feature as it doesn't say so in the specs. My advice is to give it plenty of saddle time and miles before worrying about buying a new fork.

Enjoy it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    thanks for the info, should be here tomorrow! hopefully.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    well I got it, it was fairly easy to assemble. I tried to tune the derailleurs, the back on went fine. But i hosed up the front one pretty good, ended up bringing it in to LBS to have the both properly tuned for 30$. Rides great feels real solid, rides very smooth, shifts great. Ive only put about 20 miles on it so far but so far so good!