mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Tora 318 Travel / 29Pro

I've got the Fantom 29 Pro...does anyone know what the Tora travel is at, as delivered? It sounds as if it"s at 80mm from BD's spec page. I measure about 95mm of stanchion on mine. Is it as easy as turning the bottom bolt 3-4 turns out, tapping with mallet, letting air out of valve, unscrewing assy with 24mm, and removing spacer? Any oil lost? Any opinions on the resulting ride at 100 or 130mm....My sag is set right, compression is dialed in but I'm still bottoming. 250 lbs currently.

Thanks,

P

Former Bike Wrench
    The website states that it is available in up to 100mm travel so I'm guessing it comes in the 80mm setting. Funny enough though, my Windsor 29er says on the website that it comes with the 80mm Tora but actually came with it set in the 100mm setting and included the spacer to knock it down to 80mm in the parts kit. I'm a little lighter than you (about 215-220lbs with camelback) and I like the 100mm setting. I like to run closer to 25% sag and I only bottom on the biggest hits.

On another note, I believe the 29er Tora is only convertible from 80mm to 100mm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks, I'm going to attempt the spacer removal...the guys on the shock forum said it's pretty easy. Can't be any different than motorcycle forks...wanted to make sure though.

P

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Mine came set to 100mm. The spacer was in a plastic bag with all the other parts.

ballbuster

CHeck Rainman's instructions...

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    The website states that it is available in up to 100mm travel so I'm guessing it comes in the 80mm setting. Funny enough though, my Windsor 29er says on the website that it comes with the 80mm Tora but actually came with it set in the 100mm setting and included the spacer to knock it down to 80mm in the parts kit. I'm a little lighter than you (about 215-220lbs with camelback) and I like the 100mm setting. I like to run closer to 25% sag and I only bottom on the biggest hits.

On another note, I believe the 29er Tora is only convertible from 80mm to 100mm.
    ... on how to convert the Reba. I believe the Tora is exactly the same deal. I did the Reba conversion on my RockShox Duke (and two other Rebas, for that matter) with Motion Control, and it was exactly the same as the Reba.

CHeck out Rainman's blog. He has detailed instructions on a good quick and dirty method. Just get some 15wt fork oil and a syringe to measure out 5cc's worth. I use a turkey flavor injector I bought from Target for $3.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I don't have the spacer in my RS bags...what is your exposed stanchion length? I have about 90mm exposed, so I think I'm at 80mm. Roger the Rainman blog, I found that and printed it. Thanks.

P

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I know its a rock shock, but the fox shock web site has manuals and videos of how to rebuild their shocks. It will not be all the same but it may point you in the correct direction.

Former Bike Wrench
    My Tora in the 100mm setting has about 110mm exposed

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yeah, I gotta be at 80mm...thanks. I'll let you know how the surgery goes

P

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Is there an situation where the 80mm is better

Forgive the naive question but in the 100mm vs. 80mm travel question, wouldn't the 100mm travel always be preferable--even for tame trails?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjtx
    Forgive the naive question but in the 100mm vs. 80mm travel question, wouldn't the 100mm travel always be preferable--even for tame trails?
    A 100mm fork and a 29" wheel creates a fairly tall front end, which can make the right fit harder for shorter people and anyone that likes a fair amount of saddle-to-bar drop. It can require no spacers, flipped stem, flat bar, etc. Because of this many production frames are designed around an 80mm fork.

This creates a secondary problem, as converting the fork to 100mm on a frame not designed for it will slow the steering down, change weight distribution, and create a larger amount of wheel flop.

Having said all that, I use a 100mm fork on a frame meant for 80mm because I wanted to raise bottom bracket and to have more downhill confidence. On smoother trails I would prefer the 80mm because the bike my bike was designed for that