mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Ti Fly 29er vs 29er Full Suspension

I have been looking at both bikes, both current top of the line models. I can only have one bike and have been currently riding a HT. A FS bike appealed to me. My riding seems to be mainly XC but I don't want to limit myself too much. Which bike would be the better all around choice? Ti Fly 29er vs 29er Full Suspension

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Ti bike rides very well and will last for a long time. It will not limit you too much, not that FS one is a particularly hard hitting model.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    What do you mean by hard hitting model? Thanks for the reply btw.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahmer09 View Post
    What do you mean by hard hitting model? Thanks for the reply btw.
    Designed with long travel and aggressive riding in mind.

I would take my titanium Fly to the same trails at the same speed as I take my XC 120mm FS bike. But not as fast as I would take my TransAm with 150mm fork, or Nicolai with 170mm on both ends (and a seriously burly frame and tires).

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If you are riding mostly XC I'd save a few lbs and get the Fly Ti 29er - I absolutely love mine, and it almost feels like a full suspension due to the properties of Ti along with the bigger wheels/tires. Go tubeless and you can run low PSI for even more cush...

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dstedman View Post
    If you are riding mostly XC I'd save a few lbs and get the Fly Ti 29er - I absolutely love mine, and it almost feels like a full suspension due to the properties of Ti along with the bigger wheels/tires. Go tubeless and you can run low PSI for even more cush...
    Indeed. Those lbs saved can be used for a nice high volume tires. You can get a pair of wider WTB frequency i23 rims (UST shape, currently on sale on da webs) and relace'em to existing hubs. And get the version with 15mm front axle.
    Plop some 2.25 - 2.3" tires (Say Racing Ralph snakeskin 2.25" rear, Nobby Nic 2.3" front TL ready)..

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahmer09 View Post
    I have been looking at both bikes, both current top of the line models. I can only have one bike and have been currently riding a HT. A FS bike appealed to me. My riding seems to be mainly XC but I don't want to limit myself too much. Which bike would be the better all around choice? Ti Fly 29er vs 29er Full Suspension
    I was under the same dilemma for months and finally went with the XTR full suspension. I have no regrets. If you want to be a few pounds lighter, eat less. I went from a hard tail to the full suspension and love it. I can attack descents and riding is generally more fun to me now. Now on race day I may regret having the 6 or so extra pounds on the bike, but I doubt it.

AZ
    banned
    I'd much rather have a higher spec HT (especially in Ti) than be saddled down with an extra 5 or 6 pounds, especially in an XC race. YMMV.

The perfessor
    I've been keeping my 26" FSR tuned up for certain rides while running my Fly Ti 29er for regular rides.......its truly nice to have both options..........flatter trails like the coastal plains area, I'll ride a 29er SS rigid..........
    Trifecta is Perfecta: 26" FSR Geared / 29er SS Rigid / 29er Ti Hardtail Geared

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Have had my Fly Team Ti 29er HT for two years and it is an amazing bike, BUT took it on a very, very rocky ride just before XMas and my back hurt for two weeks. I realized that I do need to go full suspension; my back can't handle HT anymore. Perhaps age (or lack of it) will inform your decision. Age is a common reason to switch from HT to FS.