mtbr member

Thinking about buying a 2009 Fantom PRO DS

I'm thinking about picking one of these up late spring. Looks like a really great deal. Just wondering if anyone else owns one & what kind of riding do you do? I'm probably going to use it mainly for XC, but would like to try some light free ride type stuff a well.

Edit: Anyone own an older model?
    Last edited by Wulf1971; 01-13-2009 at 01:11 PM.
    Ignoranus: (N) A person who is both stupid and an a**hole.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I hope to do the same with a 2009 Fantom Team if they still have the 20.5's in stock and the prices don't go through the roof. XC for me too. Looking forward to some replies to your post though.
    Frankenstein doesn't scare me ...

mtbr member
    I will have to wait regardless. I need the 18" size which they do not have (lol). If not I may save up and go with one of the titanium bikes instead. We'll see I guess.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Maybe we'll end up batting this thread back and forth to keep it alive!

Ti huh? Sweeeet. Alas I am 230 without gear and would probably fold somthing Ti in short order. Plus one of the former Bikesdirect shop guys here in JAX used to ride a DS Comp I think and he was my size - only in shape - so I figure the frame is solid and I wanted to buy enough on the bike to not need to upgrade anything soon. I mean, I'll change the chain, pedals and grips right off the bat but that's it I think. Got to keep saving my lunch money and hope the 20.5 Teams don't become extinct too.

The bikes get good reviews and I have the good fortune to have the BD shop in town that takes good care of whatever I've needed so far on my road bike or 29er.

Good luck and keep us posted. Maybe someone else will show up to add a few words.

mtbr member
    I was mistaken, they actually do have the 18.5". Time will tell if they have one when I'm ready. I was thinking about the Fantom team.Which I like as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Look's like I waited too long - the Team's are sold out. Guess I'll have to wait for the 2009 (oh crap those were the 2009's!) lineup or start considering something else. Good luck Wulf1971.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf1971
    I'm thinking about picking one of these up late spring. Looks like a really great deal. Just wondering if anyone else owns one & what kind of riding do you do? I'm probably going to use it mainly for XC, but would like to try some light free ride type stuff a well.

Edit: Anyone own an older model?
    Define "light freeride".

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am thinking "light freeride" would be more like all mountain riding but who knows.
    Anyways I am lucky enought to own both a 2009 fantom team and a 2009 Fly Ti I couldnt be happier with the bikes after getting everything sorted out. I am about 190lbs and i ride mostly xc but dont shy away from small jumps. The frame and tubing itself seems to be solid the only real weak point I can see so far is the wheelset and the crazy light tires (kenda klimax lite). If I were doing strictly xc riding this setup would be just about perfect. The Vuelta xrp really are a high quality wheelset I just dont trust them for anymore then xc riding

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Define "light freeride".
    Small drops, like 3 to 5 feet max.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf1971
    Small drops, like 3 to 5 feet max.
    I figured you were overstating the riding. That's what the "ALL MOUNTAIN" category was invented for: when XC riders don't know what FR really is and overstate what they do. You'll be ok on an xc or trail bike, more likely.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    You'll be ok on an xc or trail bike, more likely.
    Are the frames suspect or too light for the mentioned 3' - 5' drops? I thought the DS frame is an XC frame. Please, more details.

mtbr member
    I figured you were overstating the riding. That's what the "ALL MOUNTAIN" category was invented for: when XC riders don't know what FR really is and overstate what they do. You'll be ok on an xc or trail bike, more likely.

I started mountain biking back before suspension was even invented. I haven't ridden Mtb's since the mid 90's. So all the stuff now is new to me. All these new catagories get confusing. I just don't want to be breaking stuff because I bought a bike that can't handle what I'm planning on doing with it. That said, I won't be hucking my older and more careful a** off cliffs or anything. lol

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I just received my new Fantom Pro HT a couple weeks ago and it's Sweet! I wish it would have come with the Vuelta XRP wheelset, but oh well. We'll see how well the gravity bearings perform in time. Overall though, I'm very impressed with the quality. I ordered the large and with the pedals, it weighed in at about 28.5 lbs. I was really torn between the HT and the FS, but I'm still happy with my decision. The remote lockout is MONEY! I don't know how I lived without it in the past. If the FS is really only ~29 lbs, that's still pretty good. Anyway, I was quite hesitant to buy at first as well, but after getting the bike, I couldn't be happier with the decision. You'll need to buy a shock pump for it though.