mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Are these KMC Z9000 chains really no GOOD?

Hi, I keep on reading here that the original chain that comes with the Fantom Pro 29er is no good. ( KMC Z9000 super narrow 9 speed ) is that true? Should i replace mine? Last night i went to the local bike store and i was told that its a decent chain but i still made the purchase of a SRAM PC-971. So my next question is this chain that i just purchased any good because now i've just read that its better to buy the SRAM PC-991? please Help I'm a ROOKIE!

Thanks Kenji

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I wouldn't get so worked up over chains if I were you. Just make sure you take care of it by properly cleaning and lubing it, and making sure you have no stiff links.

There isn't much difference between a 971 and a 991 chain, and you certainly would not notice it at all while riding.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

banned
    Kenji also seems to think he's so important that he posts every one of his super important questions of the day in at least two to three forums.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith
    I wouldn't get so worked up over chains if I were you. Just make sure you take care of it by properly cleaning and lubing it, and making sure you have no stiff links.

There isn't much difference between a 971 and a 991 chain, and you certainly would not notice it at all while riding.

COOL~ THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP. KENJI

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hi,

For those that are curious of my finding here they are~ The KMC chain that came with my bike and with only 150 miles. After replacing it with a Sram 971 It made one hell of a difference. Now it's smoother while i'm pedaling and shifting. It also seems to have helped partially solve my excessive wear on my drive train.

Kenji

P.S. Thanks for eveyones help.

banned
    What excessive wear at 150miles?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have used a lot of different chains and never felt any difference, as long as the old chain doesn't have any stiff links it is not going to be a noticeable thing. It reminds me of how a kid thinks he can run faster when he gets a new pair of shoes.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

banned
    In my opinion, the KMC is superior to the new gen SRAM chains. When SRAM redesigned them, I started getting fewer miles out of the new ones before they showed unacceptable wear. On top of that, I had some NOS old gen and they functioned fine. This, coupled with their tendency to rip apart has made me try KMC, under good recs from some dealers and users here. Chains now last longer and I've only ripped a link once, and it was an extremely bumbleheaded move back in Italy in thick mud under full power.

I also pay 50% less for z9000's with a missing link.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Kmc z9000 fail!

I know this is an old thread, but had to comment that my brand new Fantom 29er with about 30 miles on it blew the stock KMC Z9000 chain upshifting on a hill--pin popped out and the link bent in the derailleur making the bike unrideable 4 miles from the car. The level of pissed that I was is unrecordable in the English language. Maybe Klingon---I think I spoke it---anyway replaced the chain with a Shimano 951 and it has been happy pedaling for the last 150 miles. These chains (KMC Z9000)have a high failure rate in SRAM drivetrains---swap it now before you get stranded on the trail----

Patapsco Peddler
    Aug 2011
    So I have a XTR 30 speed set up on my moto. It came with a KMC 10 speed chain. It broke at around 300 miles. It was well taken care of. I now have an XTR chain and so far have had no problems. Figured I'd match the chain to the components. To put in perspective I have an old GT (like 16 years old) that still has only it's second chain on it...If you take care of them they should last. I'm not a fan of KMC as I was stuck on the side of a trail while I fixed it with speed link (I suggest everyone has one of these in their bag. If you don't need it, someone you know, or random dude on the side of a trail will need it. Pay it forward).
    Pain heals. Chicks dig scares. Glory Lasts forever. - Shane Falco

My YouTube Video Page: https://www.youtube.com/user/skibum616/videos

mtbr member
    I have a 10 spd KMC chain that came on a 2012 Moto Fantom Pro X9 spec (FSA Cranks) and I've done about 600 miles of sometimes technical single track plus a few hundred more road miles haven't snapped it yet.

Don't know if its the same model KMC tho