mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Team Fly 20 speed bashguard ideas?

Does anyone have any idea for a chainring bash guard for the 20 speed FSA Afterburner 3 bolt crankset on my Moto 29er? It has a 42 tooth big ring and I have been sticking the sprocket in big logs and stuff a lot lately. I think the teeth are ok but they might not be for long if I keep this up without protecting them a bit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm interested in this, too, since I've already turned my original 42t outer ring into a bash guard once & had to buy a new one...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dstedman View Post
    I'm interested in this, too, since I've already turned my original 42t outer ring into a bash guard once & had to buy a new one...

Yeah its trouble. I placed a call to the FSA main headquarters and a nice guy named Chad is looking into it. He said there is stuff out there but it might not be where I am in the United States. Apparently they have to order 500 or so at a time and the demand might not be there yet. I will let you know what I find out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well this is not looking good at all. A new set of cranks might be the only real option. I have not heard anything back from FSA and no suggestions on this forum as of yet. I am giving up yet but I am not super hopeful at this point either.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Bummer - yeah, that stupid 3-bolt non-standard crank pisses me off every time I look at it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dstedman View Post
    Bummer - yeah, that stupid 3-bolt non-standard crank pisses me off every time I look at it.
    Yeah I just went to Jensonusa and bought the Race Face Turbine 2x10 with bashguard setup for $259. Its a 24/36 but should do the trick. I left the FSA bottom bracket in and have the Race Face bb the cranks came with as a spare. With the standard 4 bolt I can do whatever I want pretty much with bashguard and gearing.