mtbr member
    Jun 2010

SRAM X930 Motobecane Ti 29er reviews?

I've been VERY interested in this bike. Can't post the link yet but it's the Ti 29er for $1699 on BD.

The setup and the components, not to mention the price point have me VERY intrigued. It's definitely time to replace the trusty Fantom Comp 26er. I've looked at DS but I think I'm a HT rider.

How's the weight? I'd really be hoping to see something in the mid 20's for a Ti frame bike. Granted the components on this might make that harder to do.

How's the ride? I've not ridden a Ti frame, just aluminum so far. I've heard though it gives up some of the rigid feel and replaces it with a more responsive ride.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've only got about 5 rides in on mine, but I'm loving it so far. This is my first Ti frame and it is very comfortable for a HT. I've been riding some really rocky trails and the bike does not beat me up at all. I have not put it on the scales yet but I'd guess my 17.5 is in the 26lb range. Also they have the incorrect brakes listed, the bike came with the Elixir 5's, not the 3's. The 5's have adjustable reach which is nice.

I did have some issues with the bottom bracket. On my first ride out I had creaking in the cranks. Took it to the local shop and they took it apart and prepped the bb correctly and reassembled. It's completely quite now and didn't cost me much. I also have problems with the handlebars being too narrow. I'm just riding it with them for now but am planning to replace them with a wider carbon bar when I can get a deal.

Future upgrades are going to be a bash guard and tubeless.

So far I'm very happy with the quality of the frame and the components. Let me know if you want any more info.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    jettore,

I really appreciate the response!

How would you say the Ti feels/responds to Aluminum? From what I've heard it's more like a steel frame in that there is some flex to it so it tends to be a smoother ride. I figure you pair that with the bigger wheels and it's a nice combo.

You said you have a 17.5, how tall are you? I'm 6'0" with about a 34" inseam and I tend to ride a 19"/large size frame but I've heard people say you have to take the bigger wheels into consideration, especially for standover. What are your thoughts?

I hear what you're saying about the handle bar. I went to a 700mm riser bar and I really like it. I was worried it would be too wide and get caught on trees and bushes and the like but it's not been a problem. The wider stance make for much better control and comfort for me at least.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The Ti is very compliant, but I haven't noticed it being flexy. I also haven't pushed the bike too much yet. I'm coming from a Cannondale HT, so the ride is completely different.

I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam. I wasn't sure if the 17.5 would be to small until I compared the Effective TTL length to another bike that fits me well. It turns out the 17.5 fit me spot on. Don't worry so much about standover, compare the TTL to another bike you have that is comfortable for you.

mtbr member
    I bought the frame/fork a few months ago and love it. I ride very rocky trails and the dampening is very nice. Im no lightweight either, the frame can take a beating.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by elcaro1101 View Post
    I bought the frame/fork a few months ago and love it. I ride very rocky trails and the dampening is very nice. Im no lightweight either, the frame can take a beating.
    Where exactly do you ride? I am in Phoenix where the trails are very rocky and I'm on the fence about fs 29er aluminum vs ht 29er ti. Sorry to digress from the OP. I am going to post a separate thread question on the topic but I wanted to ask you specifically when I heard about the "rocky trails".