mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Sizing help for Motobecane FANTOM29 FS

I am considering buying the Motobecane FANTOM29 FS XO, and having a difficult time deciding on the correct size to get. I am 5'8" with a 30" inseam. I am torn between the small and the medium. The real problem I have with the small is that the small frame doesn't have water bosses.

Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Are there any FANTOM29 FS owners out there?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I am 6ft and I have large. It fits great. Actually I bought longer seat post. Its best to measure your current bike. I would go with medium frame if I were you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I am 5'11" and ride a medium. It fits great with my 32" inseam.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the input, but I am still really torn between a small and a medium. Hoping to get feedback from somone on the shorter side like me.

mtbr member
    i am also interested in this because i am 5'8"/29-30 inseam. And I want the same bike, so I'd love some input on this.

Old School but on FS 29er
    Aug 2011
    I'm about 5' 10" and have a 31" inseam. I just ordered a small. I sent an email to BD and they stated depending on what type of ride you want (comfortable, aggressive, etc.) can help you decide between sizes. For me it came down to what I know about my my ancient ride I'm rocking right now. My old GT has a 29" stand over dimension, but the top tube had me feeling stretched out and my back aching on longer rides. I went with the small, so that the TT length was a little shorter than my current ride to get me more comfortable, and I honestly didn't want any higher stand over...BD does allow you to return within 30 days also, if you pull it out of the box and feel it's to small / big for you...

Cyclist
    When I got my cross bike this winter my bike mechanic told me if you are in between sizes, pick the larger one if you do long rides. Short rides, choose the smaller frame.

On long rides, he says it's nice to stretch out on the larger frame. I do long rides, so I went with the larger frame.

I thought if in between, pick the smaller frame. But, it depends on how you going to ride it, long rides or short. I'll like longer rides like LQS WW100, so bigger frame for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Have also heard that if your in-between frame sizes go with the larger size.

Old School but on FS 29er
    Aug 2011
    I received my small today, and I'm glad I went that direction. The stand over and reach on the medium would have been to large for me. My pedal / seat geometry is almost the same as my old bike, and the TT length is similar also (maybe a little shorter) but just on my juant around the neighborhood yesterday it felt pretty good. Planning a longer ride this weekend on the trails. This will be the real test. I'm sure I'll be stopping a lot to adjust things.
    Pain heals. Chicks dig scares. Glory Lasts forever. - Shane Falco

My YouTube Video Page: https://www.youtube.com/user/skibum616/videos