Trail Ninja

Single speed conversion on Fly Team29 Ti?

Looking to breathe life into my Fly Team29 Ti that's been sitting around gathering dust ever since I got a Superfly 100. Thinking about going single speed with it. Unfortunately, I got the FSA 386 2x10 crankset (3 bolt 86 bcd) and there are no "production" rings around 32t available for it.

I understand the basics, but I heard someone got a magic gear that had enough chain tension/length to go without a tensioner. 32/18? I pedaled that ratio around before and liked it for XC trails so if that's true, I may just go that route.

I have a SRAM X7 that I can use (triple ring, 4 bolt, 104/64 bcd). Just need a chainring, cog, cog spacers, and possibly a chain tensioner. Anyone able to recommend something with what's available? I'm looking at a Homebrewed chainring and maybe a Niner cog and maybe a cheapo cog spacer/chainline kit. Not looking to spend a fortune. I'm thinking $150 (considering I have a crankarm already) should be more than enough for the chainring, cog, spacer, and maybe tensioner.

Magic gear calculator.

Parts list looks good, you could fab a tensioner from some derailuer parts to help keep the cost down. There is a thread in the SS forum about handmade parts for some ideas.

mtbr member
    I have run mine single speed magic geared off and on over the past year. I have run 33/18 and 33/20 with a half link. With that said you still need a slightly used chain.