mtbr member
    May 2007

Sell it or strip the parts?

I built up a Fantom Elite frame last year with the intention of getting back into mountain biking/racing. I've realized that at this point, I've become a recreational rider/commuter/tourer. I've been using the moto for commuting and light touring on occasion, but a true touring bike would better suit my needs. Here's my dilema. Sell the bike and take the loss, or buy a frame set and use the deraileurs, crank, shifters, etc? The bike was built using quality components, ( Manitou Black Elite fork, Avid BB7 rear and BB5 front, XT shifter/brake levers and deraileurs, Bontrager race Lite Disc wheels, TruVativ Firex crank, etc.) I spent over $1200 on the build and I know I would take a significant loss. Haven't really thought about asking price, but I know it's got to go, one way or another. It's got about 500 miles on it, and 450 of those are on the road. What do you think? Sell it or use what I can and part out the rest?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    How much touring are you doing? If I were you I would just turn it into a commuter/touring bike. Get some slicks, a 48 tooth big ring and you're good to go. I use my Moto for 99% road use and I love it. I just put some road cranks and slicks on it and it is perfect. Not only is it comfortable, but I can keep up with all but the most hardcore roadies.

Of course if you are doing some serious touring than I guess a touring bike would better suit you. But in that case there wouldn't be much useable from the Moto. So you should just sell the whole bike and get a touring bike.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith
    How much touring are you doing? If I were you I would just turn it into a commuter/touring bike. Get some slicks, a 48 tooth big ring and you're good to go. I use my Moto for 99% road use and I love it. I just put some road cranks and slicks on it and it is perfect. Not only is it comfortable, but I can keep up with all but the most hardcore roadies.

Of course if you are doing some serious touring than I guess a touring bike would better suit you. But in that case there wouldn't be much useable from the Moto. So you should just sell the whole bike and get a touring bike.
    Thanks for the feedback. I do a couple of fairly long (400 or more mile) trips a year. I also commute 48 miles round trip. I've got a rack and slick tires on now. The gearing is fine, could live without the front suspension. I've just found that the geometry isn't really comfortable for long distances. My roadie is not only more comfortable, but saves a significant amount of time on my commute. I know a touring or cross bike wouldn't be quite as fast, but would still be more comfortable and save some time each day. I'm leaning towards selling the whole bike and just taking my lumps. I'd rather have someone use it. If I buy a tourer, this bike would just sit in the basement. I've got a tour/camping trip coming up in a few weeks. I'll ride the Moto, and decide after that. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Me too ...

I bought a 21" 29er Pro and never ride it. It has like 15 miles of street use on it. I've always been told to part bikes out but figured I might try craigslist for the entire bike first. I too bought mine for road use only and have since bought a FUJI TEAM carbon frame road bike and have not glanced at the 29er in a month.
    Let us know what you end up doing.
    Steve