cdouble
    Jul 2007

Rim width and wheel size combo on the Ti Fly Team 29er

I think I've decided to spend some jack on a Titanium Fly Team 29er - either the X9 or X0 setup. My only real reservation is the tire clearance and the Vuleta XRP wheelset (there has been much spirited debate on those wheels on mtbr). I would probably flip the wheelset on eBay and purchase another. Not sure what kind, but they would likely be wider rims, let's say 28mm, and I would like to run at least a 2.2 tire.

Is either the wide rim or the bigger tire, or the combination of the two, going to be a show-stopper on that frame?

Any real world experience would be much appreciated.

Chris
    cdouble

http://mo7s.blogspot.com

"It never gets easier, you just go faster"
    Greg LeMond

mtbr member
    I run 2.25's on ZTR Arch wheels and Im not a lightweight guy. No rubbing issues at all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cdouble View Post
    I think I've decided to spend some jack on a Titanium Fly Team 29er - either the X9 or X0 setup. My only real reservation is the tire clearance and the Vuleta XRP wheelset (there has been much spirited debate on those wheels on mtbr). I would probably flip the wheelset on eBay and purchase another. Not sure what kind, but they would likely be wider rims, let's say 28mm, and I would like to run at least a 2.2 tire.

Is either the wide rim or the bigger tire, or the combination of the two, going to be a show-stopper on that frame?

Any real world experience would be much appreciated.

Chris
    I'm currently running 2.2 inch kenda slant sixes with easton havens. I plan on going 2.3 or 2.4 whenever I can find a reputable, well reviewed, reasonably priced tire in that size. It seems manuf. don't seem to be making many 29" tires in the wider sizes you find 26" tires in. 2.2" was the largest I found in 29" this summer. I mean to say, at a reasonable price. I'm just not a.$100/ tire/ season kind of guy!
    You can see my bike on the "I discovered who manuf. Moto ti" thread.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    You should have no trouble running 2.2-2.4 tires on the Ti Fly Team 29er frame. I have that bike and I'm currently running 2.1 Ignitors, but I measured about 10mm between the widest part of the tire and the inside edge of the seat and chain stays.

Regarding the Vuelta XRP Team wheelset, you may want to reconsider selling them right away. When I bought my Ti Fly I was a little concerned about the wheelset too and assumed I'd upgrade at some point. I've been riding the Veultas pretty hard for 8 months now in all conditions and types of trails and they've held up very well. Still perfectly true (haven't gone near them with a spoke wrench) and the bearings are butter smooth. My opinion is that the Vuelta's are a quality XC wheelset that's reasonably light (around 1800 grams) and can take a beating. They are very comparable to the Easton XC One's that I have on my SS 29er. They also set up tubeless very easily (I run ghetto/split-tube tubeless on all my wheels).

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Is anyone here (successfully) running 2.3 tires tubeless on the Vuelta XRP wheels? I was looking at helping setup up my friend with a Ti Fly Team 29er bike, but wanted to know if the stock wheels can handle them. I can't find any info on the actual width of those tires. Thanks.