mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Review of new Moto Fly Ti (2015 with XT)

After a few years of lusting a Ti 29er, finally bought one last week. Came down to Lynskey MT-29 frame and the Fly Ti with XT build, and the Fly won out based on price, build, good reviews, and looking a bit more shapely. I'm writing this to help those who are in the same position that I was in.

Ordering from Bikes Direct (10/10). Ordered on Thursday morning, delivered to Connecticut the next thursday, which was fortunate since I blew the rebound on my Tallboy shock, and needed a bike to race in the 24 hrs of Great Glen two days later. Easy to track using UPS, I even intercepted it at the local UPS building.

Packaging and assembly (10/10). Well boxed, no issues. If I didn't change a bunch of things for various reasons, this would have went together in less than an hour. No scratches or dings. More on my changes next.

Parts kit. As advertised. I pulled the XT chainrings (I run a single 32t narrow-wide up front), front shifter, front derailleur, and rear derailleur (I want a clutch derailleur) to resell as new takeoffs. I bought a large, and it came with a ridiculous 120mm stem (looked like a diving board), and a seat that felt fine initially, but after 27 miles tore my butt up so bad my sores were dubbed the "ring of fire" by those unfortunate enough to see them. The 710 handlebar on this is a keeper. I decided to use my Sun Ringle Charger Pros (might sell the wheels that came, but will probably hold on to as backups), so no comments on the Vueltas other than they were a little heavier than my Charger Pros (I have a digital scale but lost track of the weights). Not a big difference.

Sizing. I am 5'10" (32 inch pant seam), and went with the large. This is not a small bike - pretty long top tube, and not much standover clearance where I actually stand. That being said, I am glad I went with the large, but I do typically like bigger bikes, and I don't jump and flick bikes around. Immediately changed the stem for a 70mm, and seat to stem length is an exact match with my large SC Tallboy with a 90 mm stem.

Frame. Absolutely great looking. Beautiful welds, no scratches.

The ride. I used SB 8s, built the Fly Ti Thurs night, drove to Great Glen Friday am, and test rode the 8.5 mile course for the maiden voyage. Saturday I rode seven 8.5 mile laps in a 4 man relay about as hard as I could - literally. Coming off a Tallboy (averaging about 6 hrs/wk this summer), I had to quickly adjust to the hardtail. It felt dirty light and fast as heck on the smooth stuff, but I had my hands full through bumpy single track. As the race wore on, I felt more and more comfy on the hardtail - a lot more standing required than Tallboy, but it likes to go fast. Very stable, just didn't allow me to sit through the bumps like a full susser. I do plan on putting tires with a bit more volume on (there is plenty of clearance) to smooth rocky/rooty CT out, but no significant issues. Hard to definitively say at this point that there is any incredible Ti magic going on, but I really liked the ride and suspect there might be. Some cautioned that Moto Ti is flexy/noodly, but I'm 185 lbs and not weak (13th out of 132 on the major climb segment says Strava), and there was zero unwanted flex.

I'm still not sure if I would have been faster on my SC Tallboy, but I look forward to riding some familiar segments and comparing times.

In the end, I layed down about 60 miles (seven 8.5 mile laps) as hard as I could. No creaking, no seatpost slipping, no breakage, no issues at all. I am very happy I bought this bike, and look forward to laying down a bunch more miles and perhaps updating this review.

By the way, I couldn't upload photos after multiple tries. Maybe next time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for the review! I love mine after 3 years...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks for the review. Cant wait for mine to arrive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Someone help me out please, I can't find the 2015 with the XT build...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Go to mtb - titanium bikes - "click for more titanium bikes" ... to get here. Save Up to 60% Off Shimano DynaSys, 3x10 Speed 29er Titanium Front Suspension Mountain Bikes - MTB - 2015 Motobecane Fly Titanium 29er | Shimano DynaSys hardtail mountain bikes | Save up to 60% off list prices on new bicycles

I am the original poster, and though happy with the xt build, I'd also consider the Fantom X9 ti for $500 less if $$ were an issue. I like x9 shifting (awesome actually), and as far as i can tell, what you lose is ...
    - no tapered steerer fork
    - no xt cranks
    - lose xt brakes for avid elixir 5. No luck with avid for me, xt are great.

Those don't add up to $500 in my book, but are worth a few $$.

My Fly Ti is still working great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by benoksanen View Post
    I am the original poster, and though happy with the xt build, I'd also consider the Fantom X9 ti for $500 less if $$ were an issue. I like x9 shifting (awesome actually), and as far as i can tell, what you lose is ...
    - no tapered steerer fork
    - no xt cranks
    - lose xt brakes for avid elixir 5. No luck with avid for me, xt are great.

Those don't add up to $500 in my book, but are worth a few $$.
    Money is always an issue, isn't it? I am considering the X9 vs. XT build. I know that I'd change out the rear shifter and derailleur for shimano (preference). I might be able to recoup some costs by selling the X9 stuff. Bikes Direct says the XT build is 2lbs lighter than the X9 build. 2 pounds is quite a bit. Is it worth $500...? My mind says probably not, but my heart says yes... especially when you consider that I'll probably loose $100 switching derailleurs and shifters.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    This is a bit late but, if I am seeing it correct, the X9 model Fantom uses an older style frame. The XT Fly Ti has a newer ti frame with tapered head tube which is an advantage in both stiffness on a 29er front end and future proofs your bike as this is the new standard and forks etc for non tapered frames will be less and less. The stays should be a bit shorter also for better handling. You say you prefer the XT plus XT brakes destroy the Elixir 5. The weight thing doesn't add up in my mind but perhaps the XT would be a bit lighter. If I were you I would get the XT and save the hassle of swapping parts plus a better frame in spite of the extra money. Hell, its a deal anyways.
    I personally got the Fly Ti XTR and love it. Smooth ride for a hardtail. I upgraded some parts and it is just killer. Any other bike and I would have spent over $5000 to get what I have.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    i have a 2013 titanium fly.

yeah the fantom geo sucks

for tires.. continental mountain kings work great for everything.
    I run a 2.4 in the front and a 2.2 in the rear.. traction is always there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Im running the Conti 2.4" with Black Chili on the front of my Moto Fly Ti '14. My first upgrade tire was he Schwalbe 2.25" RoRo but it wasnt working for me here on south Van Island. Had high hopes due to price but it just did not give me the confidence to carry speed into hair pin turns where all your weight is placed up front. Always had the nagging fear it was about to wash out, loose or hardpack. I was honestly surprised. It was fast in general but mine is built towards trail and not strict XC.
    Not really looking forward to adding much rotational weight(had this drilled into my brain from reading 90s MBA)while still needing traction I looked at everything. The more popular HR ,Dampth, Minion were all far heavier so the Ardent looked great in design and is popular BUT got some negative reviews by guys in wet stuff and that is a no no for a rain forest type area such as I live in. This new Conti MK2 looked promicing with its less dense and completely new tread design that looked good to me plus it was just over 700g for such a large tire and the BC compound really has gotten no negative press. I'd like to add that Schwalbe's compounds, Pacestar in particular seemed not all that sticky.
    I finally got my order because tires locally are near double Brit stores, inspected it and immediately liked it. The outer knobs were beefy, the lack of transition knobs compared to most doesn't bother me as I somewhat felt that perhaps this further prevented the RoRos from getting a bite-they always had the flat of a knob as opposed to an edge but this is all guessing on my part. I should add that the lack of transition knobs on the MK2 has gotten it many negative reviews from folks claiming a scary transition to the out knobs.
    On the trail? On a likely damp but not wet day, going down this trail called Trillium which is basically a series of tight switchbacks on both hardpacked and loose dirt these tires completely changed my confidence and the guy I ride with who is faster immediatly noticed that I was on his ass the entire time. He knew I just switched tires and said" Wow, that old tire was holding you back." Money well spent. Every other situation I have been in, and we ride in many different terrain types in just one ride, I have not been let down, they are predictable and not all bad at rolling resistance which surprised concidering the tread pattern. I give much credit to the compound, really good stuff. Lasts long too. I will keep this as my front all year. the rear will be swapped during the wet seasons but I have favoured the Maxxis Beaver for the balance of traction and insane light weight. The thin side walls on the Beaver had me scared but they never blew out so...I'll keep using them.
    Love my Moto Fly Ti 29er! Where else could I ever get this much bike(XTR) AND be able to spend on the required upgrades such as stem ,bar, post(?) and tires to custom tune the fit and terrain.

Big Test Icycles

Review of new Moto Fly Ti (2015 with XT)

I picked up the X9 Fantom Ti a year ago and since then made a few changes.

New SLX crank set up 1x
    RaceFace NW ring 32t
    Conti 2.4 F and 2.2 rear
    Easton Carbon bar 711mm
    One Up 42 rear Giant Cog
    SDG saddle and post

Sitting at 25lbs even. Next to change will be the brakes, going with XT and NOX carbon wheels. I have a set of King hubs that will get built up in time and a King BB.

Love this bike. I'm planning on it being around for some time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Welcome to the club! Been on one for 2 years now! Love it and I still have money for beer after the ride!!!