mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Rear shock options for Motobecane 700DS

The rear shock on the 700DS is so stiff it is all but a hardtail for a 170lb rider. I have read about a Cloud9 shock that is a common replacement but have not seen much else besides threads about changing the spring. Are common Fox shocks (RP2) compatible? Is there just a set of specs I need (length, travel, mounting type/width??) that would allow me to choose other shocks?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

7ds shocks

any shock that is 6.5 inches with 1.5 inch stroke will work you just need 8x22 mm bushings

mtbr member
    Where can the bushings be found?
    Trail Builder, Trail Rider,and Trail Protector

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I am still working on this one myself

I got a Rockshox air bar then from ebay found some 1/2 OD by 8mm ID by 21.8 mm shock mounts (search for rockshox mount) http://cgi.ebay.com/RockShox-8x21-8m...item5d2c8f921c

Unfortunately it does not *quite* fit in the eyelet (at least not by hand). I then used a press to push out the metal bushings inside the shock eyelets thinking those were leftover from something else thus the problem...nope. Now I am waiting on new shock eyelet bushings so I can be back to square one.

FWIW: The Rockshox air bar had different sized eyelets...the newer ones are 1/2 the older ones were 12mm maybe instead of 12.7mm...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

shock bushings

try http://www.cambriabike.com/shopdispl...ke+Frame+Parts, they have almost all the bushings for all the popular shocks,fox,rockshox,manitou,etc

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I finally got the RockShox Air Bar mounted on my wife's 700DS

Qty 2 of these did the trick: http://bike.com/gs3.asp?SW=110274

22.2x8mm 05-07 rear MT HW

The RockShox part # is 11.4311.648.000

Note: This is for the 12mm eyelet Air Bar *not* the 1/2" one...that is what messed me up originally.

Bushwacker
    Yah, I used the 22.2 x 8mm set to mount my RS 3.3. There's a little play on one end of the shock. I scraped out too much material so I could squeeze the mount adapters into the shock eyelet. I may pick up some new shock bushings to snug it up if I ever get a chance. No big deal tho.

Woodc~Does the "air bar" you installed have a flood gate?
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkonian
    Yah, I used the 22.2 x 8mm set to mount my RS 3.3. There's a little play on one end of the shock. I scraped out too much material so I could squeeze the mount adapters into the shock eyelet. I may pick up some new shock bushings to snug it up if I ever get a chance. No big deal tho.

Woodc~Does the "air bar" you installed have a flood gate?

Not that I am aware of...it looks pretty basic....