mtbr member

Race a Ti Fly 29er?

Hello all,
    I'm trying to find a race bike and really leaning towards the Ti Fly 29er. May I get your opinions on the bike from whom have used it in organized races. What components have you changed from stock? The best and worst traits of the bike? What level of racing are you doing, i.e. beginning racer.. expert racer (Category)? Durability of the bike and what type of terrain you usually ride? Comparisons to other race bikes?
    Have fun and sincerely thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Ti 29ers Soldout

Looks like the Ti 29ers are soldout, again.
    Redline Monocog 29er
    Moto Team Fly 29er Ti
    Trike-X
    Cannondale F500
    Rans Rocket (bent)
    Burley Spider (bent)

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    BlackJett -
    I raced one this past year in "sport class". Built frame up 1x9 around ztr arch wheelset, used spare parts for the rest except for formula rx brakes. Raced the series here in WV and finished 4th overall, my first year racing, second year riding. Came in at 24.2 lbs with heavy tires and pedals. Great bike all around. Even used it to complete my first ultra race, the ti frame really takes the edge off, after 43 miles of rocks and roots, I wasn't sore the next day. Might not be as stiff as the new carbon frames, but it's up there with the
    air9.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackJett
    Hello all,
    I'm trying to find a race bike and really leaning towards the Ti Fly 29er. May I get your opinions on the bike from whom have used it in organized races. What components have you changed from stock? The best and worst traits of the bike? What level of racing are you doing, i.e. beginning racer.. expert racer (Category)? Durability of the bike and what type of terrain you usually ride? Comparisons to other race bikes?
    Have fun and sincerely thanks for the info.

Put a set of Stan's wheels on it , put the seat and grips you like on it , make it fit correctly and go race it . This is a nice ride right out of the box as long as it fits correctly .

mtbr member
    Thanks for the information. I used to race the Sport class in Texas about 10 yrs ago and attempting a come back. This time I want to make sure my equipment is way above average. It sounds like I'd be starting with a good base with this bike. I intended to go with the 2x10 in a 15.5. Change out the seat post, bars, stem, and maybe the seat to lighten it up a little more. Not sure about tubeless; I need a little more info how its done. But as luck has it the pre-order on this size has already sold out after 2 weeks of first being notified. Gotta wait.. My second choice for a new bike is the Scott Scale 29 Elite but that is also hard to find. The first race I'd like to do is coming up in three months. I guess I'll be racing my SantaCruz SuperLight 26er. Its a great bike but damn, my 30lbs DB 29er Overdrive is just as fast. I think a TI 29er would be WAY much faster.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have raced for more than 10 years. This year I raced a Ti Fly 29er in cat 1(expert). Got on the podium at Sea Otter and took 1st multiple times in the local Utah series and a couple regional races.

Bike setup: 19" frame, stock 3 X 9, stans race wheels (tubeless, of course), wider than stock carbon bar, thomson masterpiece seatpost, 4 ti eggbeaters, gripshift attack shifters, alligator rotors, maxxis aspen front and small block 8 rear tire for exactly 22lbs. I had it under 22lbs with aspens front and rear, but had some rear sidewall cut issues in three races.

I think the Ti Fly 29er is an excellent, high qualilty bike. It excels on fire roads with lots of embedded rocks and moderate climbing. With the heavier stock wheels I don't think I could be happy racing it even though they are actually fairly light wheels. Heavier wheels are just too noticeable to me on a 29er bike. I proved it can be raced to the top of the podium. Even so, I still think a 26er HT is better on tight singletrack and switchbacks. Next season if I could have just one bike for racing it would be a 26er HT like the Fly Ti 26er or Aluminum Fly. Most of my races are on mostly ST. I wish Motobecane made a carbon mountain bike. I have been eyeing a sub 19lb carbon HT.
    Cycling - What else is there?