mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Quick Release Skewers for Outcast

Just picked up my first 29er - Outcast 17". My first upgrade is to put quick release skewers on the front and back. Any recommendations on where to buy online? Brand? Size?

As my first 29er, what are the first things you upgraded?

Thanks!
    Vunje

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Does the Outcast have sliding dropouts in the back? If so I don't think you would want QR skewers. Shimano probably makes the best skewers. Front would be 100mm, and standard mountain bike size in the rear is 135mm.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    It's a SS, so yes, it has sliding dropouts. Since you wouldn't recommend quick release on the rear wheel, what do you use to change a flat while out on the trail?

Thanks for your help!

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by vunje
    It's a SS, so yes, it has sliding dropouts. Since you wouldn't recommend quick release on the rear wheel, what do you use to change a flat while out on the trail?

Thanks for your help!
    I think the reason he doesn't recommend QRs on a sliding dropout is that you run the risk of pulling the wheel out of the drop out if you hammer the pedals hard. This would be bad. To get the wheel off on the trail, just carry a wrench that fits the nut. It sounds like it would be a heavy thing to lug around, but it's really not. I carry a crescent wrench (which is even heavier) in my tool bag because my girlfriend's rear hub has a nutted axle and the "extra weight" isn't really an issue.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010