mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Question regarding Shifters/Brake Lever

Hey Guys,

i just received my Fantom X7 and assembled it of course without looking at the manuals.

well no big problem, not my first bike, but when i looked through the manuals i noticed, that SRAM pictures the layout of the handlebar with the brakes on the inner side and the shifters on the outer side.

am i the only one using it vice versa? shifter inside and brakes outside? when i was setting it up a bit more detailed today i even moved the shifters half an inch more inside compared to the brake lever.

i brake with 2 fingers and shift with the thumb, i have not noticed myself being built completely different than humanity.

btw. one think you should not do when setting up the handlebar, dont forget to check the angle, otherwise you might be suprised why you have a negative angle. and those grips are a PITA to get on or of.
    Last edited by fifilein; 09-28-2011 at 03:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Where your levers and shifters go is a matter of personal preference. My bikes have the shifers on the inside and the brakes on the outside. However I am using shifters with adjustable mounting position so I can slide them towards the outside. When I used to use the old style shifters that were not adjustable I would have it the other way around. If you have them in position where they feel best for you then thats all that matters.

I would add though that 2 finger braking, while not bad, is not the best technique. Levers should be set up for one finger braking. This gives you more control of the bars.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    I would add though that 2 finger braking, while not bad, is not the best technique. Levers should be set up for one finger braking. This gives you more control of the bars.
    thanks for the explanation, also for the hint, so a bit more to the inside.

its like over a year since i last rode my fully, cant even remember how i had it set up, not sure i could even fit 2 fingers on the oro, the lever was pretty small.