Thread: "pump it up"

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

New question here. "pump it up"

I bought this pump below and know I see that on the BD bike i bought, it has the Presta Valve.

Do i need some kind of adapter or a new pump to get air in tires?

Pump specs .Giant Control Mini 4 Pump
    Giant's Control Tower 4 Mini-Pump boasts big pumping power in a small package. Its thermoplastic barrel and ergonomic fold-out handle make inflating tires easier than ever. Plus, this mighty mini has a reversible thumb-lock head that fits all valves.

Emer pump that mounts at water bottle location
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by BMW M 2 ISF; 04-17-2012 at 09:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW M 2 ISF View Post
    I bought this pump below and know I see that on the BD bike i bought, it has the Presta Valve.

Do i need some kind of adapter or a new pump to get air in tires?

Pump specs .Giant Control Mini 4 Pump
    Giant's Control Tower 4 Mini-Pump boasts big pumping power in a small package. Its thermoplastic barrel and ergonomic fold-out handle make inflating tires easier than ever. Plus, this mighty mini has a reversible thumb-lock head that fits all valves.

Emer pump that mounts at water bottle location

Any local bike shop has the adapter to allow you to use a presta pump with a Shraeder valve. I bought 2 since upgrading my bike. The price for each was around $2.00/ea.
    BTW, this thread was better suited for another forum since it's not Motobecane specific.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I think on my bike i have the Presta valve on the tire. is that what you meant?

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW M 2 ISF View Post
    this mighty mini has a reversible thumb-lock head that fits all valves.
    fits all valves.

... but it looks like you need to rearrange a coupe of parts in the pump head, to fit the smaller Presta valve. Unscrew the part of the pump that goes over the valve, to see what is inside.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    fits all valves.

... but it looks like you need to rearrange a coupe of parts in the pump head, to fit the smaller Presta valve. Unscrew the part of the pump that goes over the valve, to see what is inside.
    Ok, thanks for the pic. First let me restate once again....I'm no expert. But, the pump in the photo lot like most portable pumps on the market today. So, I'm willing to bet there's a rubber adapter inside the head of this pump that when taken out and "reversed" to its other side, will pump a Shreader, or reversed again, a Presta valve. Try it. Unscrew the head and remove the rubber insert. If I'm right, the rubber insert will have different sized holes on each of its sides allowing for the different sized Presta/Shraeder valves.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Good job! doh...

Quote Originally Posted by Odiggy View Post
    Ok, thanks for the pic. First let me restate once again....I'm no expert. But, the pump in the photo lot like most portable pumps on the market today. So, I'm willing to bet there's a rubber adapter inside the head of this pump that when taken out and "reversed" to its other side, will pump a Shreader, or reversed again, a Presta valve. Try it. Unscrew the head and remove the rubber insert. If I'm right, the rubber insert will have different sized holes on each of its sides allowing for the different sized Presta/Shraeder valves.

Hope this helps.
    HAha! that is it! Thank you for the explantion. I have never saw a presta before, and the rubber didn't want to come out, and not wanting to force it. After i read your post, I used needle nose pliers nad waa-laa it poped out and in fact was reversable.

thank you both for the help. at least i can ride for 5 minutes before work!