Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ZmyDust's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    472

    Pulled the trigger on a 2012 Fantom 29 X9

    Well the funds are sent to BD and I'm hoping for the box to get here sooner than later. Considered hard between this and the Airbourne Goblin. Decided on the Moto because it was $100 cheaper, the geo was maximized to handle 100mm on the Reba (80mm on the goblin), and the rotors were slightly bigger at 180mm (compared to 160, I'm a Clyde) and the loud green on the goblin didn't appeal to me.

    I've been mountain biking for about a year on only a steel 29er rigid singlespeed and decoded i enjoyed the sport enough to drop some cash so this bike is going to be quite a step up for me. I have never owned any type of bike suspension and haven't ridden with gears since I was a kid.

    Pretty handy with a wrench so im thinking the setup shouldn't be a problem (although I might have to YouTube some things). Couple of Q's:

    Does the Reba fork come with a shock pump or should I pick one up? A little nervous about this setup being new to suspension but I'll get by.

    Do all the different parts on the bike come with instructions? (specifically manufactures torque specs)

    Anything else I should know?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by ZmyDust View Post
    Well the funds are sent to BD and I'm hoping for the box to get here sooner than later. Considered hard between this and the Airbourne Goblin. Decided on the Moto because it was $100 cheaper, the geo was maximized to handle 100mm on the Reba (80mm on the goblin), and the rotors were slightly bigger at 180mm (compared to 160, I'm a Clyde) and the loud green on the goblin didn't appeal to me.

    I've been mountain biking for about a year on only a steel 29er rigid singlespeed and decoded i enjoyed the sport enough to drop some cash so this bike is going to be quite a step up for me. I have never owned any type of bike suspension and haven't ridden with gears since I was a kid.

    Pretty handy with a wrench so im thinking the setup shouldn't be a problem (although I might have to YouTube some things). Couple of Q's:

    Does the Reba fork come with a shock pump or should I pick one up? A little nervous about this setup being new to suspension but I'll get by.

    Do all the different parts on the bike come with instructions? (specifically manufactures torque specs)

    Anything else I should know?
    No shock pump for the fork. They're only about $15-$25 on Amazon or Ebay.
    Setup is no problem. All major parts of the bike supplied by the differing manufacturers come with their own set of instructions. ie, Reba fork, Shimano gears, Avid Brakes, etc. All can also be found on the internet.
    Anything else? Make sure you insert the handle bar properly with particular attention on the cable draping. That way you'll avoid putting it on backwards or with the cables unneccessarily twisted like some others have reported doing!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    16
    I just put together a new 2012 Fantom Team 26".
    So far, I'm pretty pleased.
    I took the largest chainring off and put on a FSA polycarbonite bashring.

    Spilled a few drops of brake oil when adjusting the position of the cable angle (didn't know by loosening the position it would spill). No biggie it seems. Didn't contaminate pads and wasn't that much that escaped.

    Had to adjust the rear brakes rubbing, and put on the front rotor.

    Purchased some Candy 11 pedals and placed them on, VERY pleased with these compared to low end Shimano clip in's.

    May take out two chain links from the KMC chain (since no large chainring anymore), so kinda studying how to do that properly.

    GL with yours.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ZmyDust's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    472
    Thanks for the responses guys. Far as I can tell the bike is on the trick headed my way.

    Odiggity thanks for letting me know about the shock pump. I picked a nice one up made by giant at the lbs. I'm a big guy at around 260lbs so I'm sure itll come in handy to dial in the Reba. I'll be careful when mounting the bars.

    Doita, glad you like your Team, I saw the pictures of it. I've got a pair of CB eggbeaters ready for this bike. I've never messed with hydro brakes before and didn't think that it was so easy to spill fluid. I'll watch out for that.

    Here's another ?.. The Reba says its a "lockout" model, but I'm assuming this doesn't mean remote lockout. Is it easy/costly to buy and install a trigger lockout on the bars?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    16
    Not sure on the lockout cost Zmy.
    The drawback is when you put on a remote lockout (push-loc), you loose adjustable ride sensitivity dials, and it becomes either a fully open or fully locked out setting. All or nothing.

    Without it, you have to reach to the crown to lockout, which isn't that bad IMO. But more importantly you can dial in settings of adjustable compression which is lost with a push-loc type.

    My Reba RLT Ti is great, but I am still on the fence wether or not I like the remote lockout without the compression adjustability.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ZmyDust's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    472
    Wow that's good to know. It seems since I'm a heavier rider that that would be a big negative to me (loosing the adjustability). So to be clear, which of the adjustabilities go out the window when using pushloc, sag, rebound, positive, negative? Everything?

    Also is it generally accepted that you can lean down and lockout the fork on top of the crown while rolling? Or does this usually require a stop?

    I know this isn't the suspension forum, but appreciate your help!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    16
    I'll preface and say I am definitely not expert level guidance on this, however..

    You still retain low speed compression and high speed compression, but they are fixed since the adjuster knob gets replaced.
    Your rebound is still fully adjustable with the knob at the bottom of the fork.

    So you still have compression, but it changes to either fully open or fully closed and controlled by the push-loc on the handlebar.
    Rebound is still the same adjustment knob on the bottom.

  8. #8
    NuB
    NuB is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    21
    Wow, congratulations on the bike. Im new as well and I want to spend between $500 and 700 and saw the x9. I want a 29r but I do like the price of the 700HT.
    Have been reading on here a lot and people say the 700 is a good starter bike.

    Enough ranting, congrats again and post how your ride is.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ZmyDust's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    472
    Thanks. Definitely a solid bike so far. Haven't been able to test the limits due to an issue with the rear brake. Waiting for the mailman to bring me a new one. Been playing roadie with it due to not being comfortable goon off road with only front stopping power. Can't wait to take this thing into some twisties and bumps. Compared to what I'm used to, this thing is fast!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: junior1210's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,094
    I bought one back in feb. and I love it. A word to the wise though, keep an eye on the left crank arm dust cap. I just replaced mine after the threads stripped out. I'm not sure why it happened so I'll assume it was my own fault,but I've heard it happening to others who also have FSA cranks. BikeIsland sells them cheap so no big deal.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by ZmyDust View Post
    Thanks. Definitely a solid bike so far. Haven't been able to test the limits due to an issue with the rear brake. Waiting for the mailman to bring me a new one. Been playing roadie with it due to not being comfortable goon off road with only front stopping power. Can't wait to take this thing into some twisties and bumps. Compared to what I'm used to, this thing is fast!
    Let me ask you a question. I purchased the same bike, and after having everything set up by a local shop (and double checked), the bike, albeit not wanting to cross chain, will not downshift from the largest sprocket to the middle while the rear is on the inner 3 cogs. Are you experiencing this at all?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,244
    Quote Originally Posted by briswo View Post
    Let me ask you a question. I purchased the same bike, and after having everything set up by a local shop (and double checked), the bike, albeit not wanting to cross chain, will not downshift from the largest sprocket to the middle while the rear is on the inner 3 cogs. Are you experiencing this at all?
    Sounds like you need further Derailleur adjustment, take back to lbs

    sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone 4s's

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ZmyDust's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    472
    Thanks I'll keep an eye on the crankarm. As far as the front deraileur - no mine was quite smooth out of the box. Still trying to dial in the rear properly but I'm almost there. It doesn't always shift to the largest rear cog when I ask it to. Other than that, so far so good.

    This is small but was a little surprised not to find the the star wrench from avid included as you have to install one of the rotors yourself. Luckily I had one laying around from when I bought some bb7s for my other bike.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •