mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Wink Problems with Fantom Team

I have the Fantom team full suspension and there was maybe 40 to 50 miles on the bike when the problem started to happen. On the cassette there is one gear it will not shift into right in the middle. Tried adjusting the derailleur and shifter to start then replaced the chain with sram 991 and I thought the problem was gone but maybe a half mile later same exact thing. I had the cassette replaced with another ultegra 12-27 seemed to fix but it came back just as fast. Just the other day i had another cassette put on but this time it is a xt 11-32 so far its shifting great but we will see. All of this work has been done at a bikes direct shop at no charge so although I am having problems they are taking care of me.I am afraid the rear triangle might be misaligned. I would like to get your feedback on this and find out if anyone has had a similar experience

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Before looking at disaster scenarios look for simplest causes first.

Is the derailleur mounting bolt on tight?

Has any slack in the derailleur cable been taken out by pulling and re-mounting the cable, not just playing with the barrel and B-screw adjustments?

Is the derailleur hanger bent?

On second thought - why would you bring up the possibility of frame deformation? Have you been hucking?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I did forget to mention a couple things they replaced all the cables and the derailleur hanger before replacing the cassette which fixed it then it came right back.
    To answer your question about me hucking on this bike, I have not had a chance to do anything stupid on this bike it has been maybe a foot off the ground

HTFU!
    I have had a minor cassette problem with my Fantom Team. My problem is that it is really a road cassette (probably due to the idea that this bike is built to be more of a racer), it is not a Mountain cassette. As others are spinning up a steep, root-ridden climb, I am struggling to torque my way up. I may look into a new cassette, but I am afraid the bike came with a short cage derailler. There is no way I want to replace that! I will report back with the final solution as I will likely take it to my LBS tonight or tomorrow.

Space for rent...
    How confident are you that the mechanics at your shop are any good?

Any time I have had problems like you are experiencing, it has been a result of either a bent hanger, or sticking cables.

Don't presume because they replaced both, that they did it correctly. Did they use a guage to verify the hanger was aligned correctly? If not, insist they do (it only takes two minutes). Also, did they replace cables/housings, or just the cable itself? If whoever cut the cables didn't cut it cleanly, you could end up with a sharp edge holding back the cable (usually most noticeable when the spring is trying to index the derailleur).

If you can, take your chain off and watch how the rear derailleur indexes across the full width of the cassette. Does it move the same distance on each click? Also take note how the cable "feels" when you operate the triggers. Finally, do you have any sharp bends in the cable housings? Again, this may cause them to stick.

Good luck...
    It's only pain......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IMHO
    I may look into a new cassette, but I am afraid the bike came with a short cage derailler.
    It is medium cage (GS) derailler, and Shimano's capacity is quite conservatively rated. You can use 11-32 cassette, and it should be fine up to crosschaining granny into 14t cog. Chain length from bikesdirect is also fairly generous, so it should cover extra 5 teeth if you feel like crosschaining 44t into rear 32. I do not think it will fit 11-34 cassette though.

You will gain approximately 1.5 gears lower (18% lower) - or you can pretend you are on a single speed and ride 32/18 without ever switching.

HTFU!
    "It is medium cage (GS) derailler, and Shimano's capacity is quite conservatively rated. You can use 11-32 cassette..."

Cool, thanks for the info. I decided against it for now. It was kind of an impulse decision that I changed with further thought. I am still recovering from a torn calf (still can't run, which sucks because it is my first love), so I am going to give myself more time to build my riding strength and see where I am after more time on the trails. I seem to have more stamina than strength, so spinning up hills (especially on the second half of a 12-20 mile trail run is a desirable option...but I want to build strength so the cassette can wait for a while and I will reassess my progress in a few months.