Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Pre-ordered an 09 MotoFLY PRO...

...from bikes direct. Now the wait for the next month and a half is going to be tough.

Any suggestions on a clipless pedal to get for the bike? I think that is all I need for the machine.

Former Bike Wrench
    Pedals are kind of a personal choice, but Shimano M540, Crank Bros Candy SL, and Time ATAC XS are popular choices

Might want to set aside a little $$$ for a set of real tires (the paper thin Kenda's are really not offroad worthy) and a 11-32/34 mountain cassette (unless your a beast, the road 12-27 cassette is going to make the climbs tough).

I give BD kudos for well equipped bikes (I own a Windsor myself) for the price, but using parts that really are not designed for offroad use just to get the weight down is kind of lame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Good call. I overlooked the cassette earlier.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Preordered the Fly Ti, ordered some Crank Brothers Candy 4ti pedals, I just couldn't help myself in continuing the titanium theme of the bike!! Also does anyone know if there will be chain issues (not long enought) with a 32 or 34 t rear cassette?
    cannot wait to ride it

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sjfsrpro
    Preordered the Fly Ti, ordered some Crank Brothers Candy 4ti pedals, I just couldn't help myself in continuing the titanium theme of the bike!! Also does anyone know if there will be chain issues (not long enought) with a 32 or 34 t rear cassette?
    cannot wait to ride it
    The chain on my Fly 9357 was longer than it needed to be. So when used with a 32 tooth rear cassette it is just the right length. I think with a 34 tooth cassette you may need a longer chain.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    mountain cassette (unless your a beast, the road 12-27 cassette is going to make the climbs tough).
    It might be ok, especially with such a light bike. The granny in the front, and 27 in the back is still a pretty low combination. You will however find yourself in the small chainring more often than you otherwise would though. It's your call. Discover your inner beast.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The UPS Man dropped off my new bike.
    I pulled her out of the box and I'll work on putting her together tomorrow after work. I see the tires will be the first thing to go and then a new saddle. I'm going to go with the Crank Brother **edit** Candy SL pedals I think.
    Last edited by FastZR1; 09-11-2008 at 04:21 AM.

Former Bike Wrench
    Mallet pedals on a MotoFly Pro?

Interesting choice...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Mallet pedals on a MotoFly Pro?

Interesting choice...
    Actually Candy SL. The t4 would be nice, but I can't drop that much coin right now. My friend ask why I wasn't just putting some egg beaters on to save weight but I like the extra support around the pedal that the candy has.

Former Bike Wrench
    Candy SL is a quite a difference (about 1/2 pound) from the Mallet

I found it kind of funny that you mentioned putting a heavy FR pedal on a bike most people buy for its light weight. The Candy SL seems like a much more logical choice

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My Fly Pro arrived this week also. I haven't had a chance to weigh it yet, but it feels very light. I took it for a quick ride yesterday and it is one hell of a bike. I was highly impressed by how responsive it is. Acceleration is not unlike that of a road bike. Obviously it doesn't accelerate as quickly as my 15 pound road bike, but you're going to be hard-pressed to find many mountain bikes that will match the acceleration of this ride. I threw my Cane Creek wheels on it it as I wasn't sure that I really want to use the Vuelta wheels. I'll take some pictures in a bit and post them up on here.

Great bike, and a steal for the price they are selling it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My Fly Pro with upgraded wheels/tires/saddle/seatpost:

I'll be changing out the stem/handlebars shortly.

bi-winning
    the bars would feel better if you rotated them. it looks like they are sweeping down. but, if you want to replace them, go for it.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    the bars would feel better if you rotated them. it looks like they are sweeping down. but, if you want to replace them, go for it.
    I appreciate the suggestion. I'm switching them and going with carbon bars for the lighter weight and dampening. I have Easton EC90 carbon bars, but they are a 25.4mm and I need 31.8mm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Nice... I ordered the same tires and they should be here this week w/ the pedals.

How do you like those wheels?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FastZR1
    Nice... I ordered the same tires and they should be here this week w/ the pedals.

How do you like those wheels?
    I've only had a chance to put about 50 miles on them so far, but I am liking them a lot. I'm going to do some longer rides this weekend and will have a better feel for how they perform. The tires are awesome. They dig in great.

Former Bike Wrench
    why not get a new 25.4 stem if you already have a nice set of carbon bars

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I took the moto out for a spin last nice. The brakes are crap. My Juicy 5s on the Trek are 10 times better. I even cleaned the rotors with rubbing alcohol when I put the bike together. I'm going to have to figure something out. It looks like others have had Juicy 7 problems from what I read in the Brake section.

Space for rent...
    I took the moto out for a spin last nice. The brakes are crap. My Juicy 5s on the Trek are 10 times better. I even cleaned the rotors with rubbing alcohol when I put the bike together. I'm going to have to figure something out. It looks like others have had Juicy 7 problems from what I read in the Brake section.

Don't jump to conclusions too quickly. You will need to get a couple of rides under your belt to bed the brakes in, before you judge them. When you ride, pick up some speed and do a number of hard braking stops. You should see them gradually get better.

Most of comments are related to noise on rear brake (turkey gobble) and fading on long downhills. What are yours doing....?
    It's only pain......

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Mine just don't stop that good. I put one mile on the bike around the neighborhood yesterday doing hard stops from about 15MPH trying to bed the brakes. I can't even lock up the back tire on the street or grass. The front is a bit better, but I still have to pull a hard as I can and the brakes just don't work good. I couldn't even lock up the front tire if I wanted. I'll give them a ride or two and see what happens. I was thinking about trying to bleed them to see if that helps.

Ed

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    why not get a new 25.4 stem if you already have a nice set of carbon bars
    I did go back and forth on that, but figured I would be better off with a 31.8 setup as it is a little bit stronger.

mtbr member
    Take it easy on those 7s. A larger quantity of shorter moderate stops will keep the pads from glazing over from overheating before they are broken in. Make sure the calipers are aligned properly so you have total pad contact. Also sometimes the pad surface is not even and the pads will need to be removed and sanded flat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Here it is for now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartman
    Take it easy on those 7s. A larger quantity of shorter moderate stops will keep the pads from glazing over from overheating before they are broken in. Make sure the calipers are aligned properly so you have total pad contact. Also sometimes the pad surface is not even and the pads will need to be removed and sanded flat.
    Cool, thanks for the tip on that. I had it out for a short ride earlier and was doing lots of shorter, moderate stops.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Here it is for now.

Looks good. What other changes do you have planned for it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast