Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Here is my Fantom Trial. I've had it for about 7 months now and have loved riding it every chance I can get. Upgrades so far have just been the grips, new tires and Crank Brothers 5050xx pedals. On the way is a Fox F100 fork to replace the Dart 3 and I have a Crank Brothers Opium directset going in as well. Hopefully this will take a pound or so off the bikes weight and keep me going out on the trials!

I'm glad to see others who love their Motos just as much as I do

Motobey
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkonian
    I did a lot of research and determined this single pivot design is a good candidate. It brought the front of the bike a little forward and higher. I picked the U-Turn option so I could dial in the right fork length. I also picked up an Easton seat post with a large set back and adjustable seat angle pivot. I just tweaked everything around til my position was just right. I run the fork at full length and occasionally crank it down for long climbs.

Do you keep your forked extended out all the way with your setup?
    Stark
    Now that you had the 7.5 for a while do you still enjoy it? I'm going to be upgrading the rear on my 400ds? the 6.5 are a little harder to find.
    "Si todos saben lo que ay que hacer por que tenemos problemas" Choose xpst.

Bushwacker
    Quote Originally Posted by mstguide
    Stark
    Now that you had the 7.5 for a while do you still enjoy it? I'm going to be upgrading the rear on my 400ds? the 6.5 are a little harder to find.
    I highly reccomend it for any of the Moto single pivot upgrade projects. I gained 2 1/4" of travel going from the Axis coil to the air shock. I highly reccomend you go with a shock that has motion control/pro-pedal with an adjustable floodgate. I can't stress that enough. The only regret I have is I wish I had located a MC 3R instead of the MC 3.3. The 3R gives you a handlbar Poploc Adjust feature. I have to reach down to switch between full open, threshold and lock out. I don't know what the travel is on your stock fork but if you can afford it I'd look into a Tora 318, or better, to increase your fork travel. It also allows you to fine tune the length and balance.
    I don't think it's a deal breaker tho if you only have the cash to replace the rear shock and not the fork at this point and time. In general you'll just need to tweak your overall riding position untill the balance is just right. I picked up an Easton 50 seat post with a large set back and adjustable saddle angle from Sierra Trading post for $20. This is another key component to the transition. It balances everything out and allows me to dial in the correct seat angle which changed slightly with the larger shock.
    Let me know how it goes and if something doesn't feel balanced.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Mounted on the car.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Time to cut the lawn! Nice ride. I am picking up my Q5 at the end of the week. I am opting for a hitch mount to avoid accidents and stupidity on my part.

Bushwacker
    Quote Originally Posted by iMotion
    Mounted on the car.
    Right on man, keep riding. Looks like you upgraded the rear shock/tires/wheels but too far away to identify.

Motobey
    I highly reccomend it for any of the Moto single pivot upgrade projects. I gained 2 1/4" of travel going from the Axis coil to the air shock. I highly reccomend you go with a shock that has motion control/pro-pedal with an adjustable floodgate. I can't stress that enough. The only regret I have is I wish I had located a MC 3R instead of the MC 3.3. The 3R gives you a handlbar Poploc Adjust feature. I have to reach down to switch between full open, threshold and lock out. I don't know what the travel is on your stock fork but if you can afford it I'd look into a Tora 318, or better, to increase your fork travel. It also allows you to fine tune the length and balance.
    I don't think it's a deal breaker tho if you only have the cash to replace the rear shock and not the fork at this point and time. In general you'll just need to tweak your overall riding position untill the balance is just right. I picked up an Easton 50 seat post with a large set back and adjustable saddle angle from Sierra Trading post for $20. This is another key component to the transition. It balances everything out and allows me to dial in the correct seat angle which changed slightly with the larger shock.
    Let me know how it goes and if something doesn't feel balanced.
    Thank, I will be talking to my LBS soon to see what we come up with.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Which do you guys prefer? Which is bang for the buck? Both the same price but can't decide.
    Fantom HT Trail or Fantom 29er?
    Side note, what do you guys think about the Windsor 29er Comp?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Bike rack on a TT? not sure about that one...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    hey, how would i take my stem off so that i could move the spacer that is on top if it to below it?

Motobey

upgrade

Upgrade come slow for me .
    I got this rock shox, from m lbs. try it out, it worst it. I don't have to worry about lock out as much because mainly I have to pedal all the time in our trails.
    When I do go to the mtn's I can manually lock it out. (is not on the fly but it was on my budget). I do like the ride much better next upgrade will be the Front one.
    Stark thanks for the advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bushwacker
    mstguide...What did you get?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

New Additions

Motobey
    mstguide...What did you get?
    Rock shox bar, I kept it at 6.5 inches. I didn't want to make many changes. It really rides soft and this bike its pretty tough. I notice the spacers are worn out, I need to get new ones. any ideas for the spacers?

Bushwacker
    Yeah, my lbs told me I was crazy for upsizing. Then they tried to sell me a new bike. Pretty clear what their motivation was. Glad I didn't listen to them.
    I would have liked to see you get something with Motion Control but a budget is what it is and you should see a nice upgrade in performance. Good job! If you have lock out you can always flip it on for long climbs. I actually leave the floodgate fully open 70% of the time, floodgate engaged 20% and fully locked out 10%. I ride in the mountains tho so see a lot of long climbs which tends to bring out some bobbing when I have to mash the pedals.
    What's worn regarding the mounting hardware? If you have to replace them I suggest you bring the bike into the lbs and let them measure and order it for you. That's easiest and you'll know it will be right. If you want to do it yourself, measure the bolt shaft diameter;probably 8mm, and measure the distance BETWEEN the mounting posts; both front and back. Those are the measurements for the hardware. Then call Jensen.com or some other bike part warehouse for assistance.

Motobey
    [QUOTE=Starkonian]Yeah, my lbs told me I was crazy for upsizing. Then they tried to sell me a new bike.

How does it run with the floodgate open? I haven't figure out the best setting yet. I think I have it fairly close, I know I have 175 psi in it and that seems to be working good for the bounce, like I said I haven't play enough to find the best setting if open or closed.
    I had more pressure but it was too stiff. so I let some off.
    The BBG bashguard works pretty good too. I rolls over everything I go over. Even some of the bigger logs.

Bushwacker
    My MC 3.3 is super plush with the gate open. I must have a bigger air can than your Bar because I only run 70lbs air pressure and I get about 95% stroke travel on the biggest hits I do. I weigh 225lbs with gear too. Single pivot frames allow you to run lower air pressures which is nice due to the lower leverage ratio. You might want to let the air out of your shock and compress it fully to see where it bottoms out. Then set the air pressure so you achieve maximum travel without bottoming out. You could also put a tape measure from the seat to the ground to see how much travel you are getting with the new shock, if you want. I was amazed I went from 1 1/4" to 3.5" with the upgrade.

Looks like you have the Bar 2.1? Looks like the red knob controls the rebound damper? I didn't know you can lock it out. That's nice for long climbs.

It looks like you give up the largest chain ring for more clearance re: the bashguard? That looks pretty interesting, I'll have to check that out. I hardly ever use my big ring and there are some areas on my ride where I worry about grounding it.

Motobey
    My MC 3.3 is super plush with the gate open. I must have a bigger air can than your Bar because I only run 70lbs air pressure and I get about . . .
    The bashguard makes a big difference, some of the areas that we go over are pretty high and the outher ring dug into logs, the big problem was when I went to the rock garden at Alafia. The out ring hit a rock and I didn't realized it until it affected the next ring shift. I notice the chain hat pick up a little grindig on my middle ring.
    With the bashguard I can go over big logs and rocks with no problem it just rolls over everything. The BBG claims to have a life time warranty so far I haven't had to use it. In the future I'm going to get red tires for it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mstguide
    The bashguard makes a big difference, some of the areas that we go over are pretty high and the outher ring dug into logs, the big problem was when I went to the rock garden at Alafia. The out ring hit a rock and I didn't realized it until it affected the next ring shift. I notice the chain hat pick up a little grindig on my middle ring.
    With the bashguard I can go over big logs and rocks with no problem it just rolls over everything. The BBG claims to have a life time warranty so far I haven't had to use it. In the future I'm going to get red tires for it.
    Hey mstguide,

Does that bashguard replace the outer chainring or just mount over it? I'm looking to go 1X8 with my 600DS on the cheap, and I'm trying to figure out if the Truvativ Fived 3-ring crank can be converted to single speed fairly easily if at all. Thanks!

Motobey
    damnitzhym
    Depending on your set up, most of them replace the big ring, there are some big rings that are also bashguard they are made fairly heavy. I chose the bbg, it work very good with my set up, it replaces the big ring, and you have a color choice. In some set up you may need new screws for the distance away from the chain. BBG has bashguards for 5 also. you should be able to remove the smaller ring if you want to go single, with the bashguard, I would recomend it because it protects the chain to some degree.

mtbr member
    Here is my Cross Uno. It is my commuter and is great.

mtbr member

Ti 29er

Here are some pics of my new Ti 29er

http://web.me.com/edramos/Site/Ti_29er_Shots.html#0

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I just ordered a Fantom 29 Pro from Bikes Direct. Should get it on Monday. This is my first post in this forum so I am very new here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    She is a sweet ride. I am enjoying mine immensely. I just ordered a low rise bar. The flat bar is definitely a racing bar at only 22" wide. I am going to try 27" and if necessary cut off an inch to 26". I have not had any issues with turning or pain with the narrow bar, but per the forums and pro zines they recommend a wider bar.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    i thin k i can tell from what you've written below, but how do you like the recon 351 on your moto? i have one on the way. fired up.

Motobey

Longer Bar

Quote Originally Posted by lostemple
    She is a sweet ride. I am enjoying mine immensely. I just ordered a low rise bar. The flat bar is definitely a racing bar at only 22" wide. I am going to try 27" and if necessary cut off an inch to 26". I have not had any issues with turning or pain with the narrow bar, but per the forums and pro zines they recommend a wider bar.
    mtb magz. just had an article were they concluded the longer bar gives better front end control.

mtbr member

Ti 29er with Crank bro pedals and T.H.E. saddle & grips

mtbr member

High Ho seatpost

Quote Originally Posted by lowly_cook
    2 shots of my Fantom 29 pro.
    I notice many y'all are running your seatposts pretty high up there.

Make sure the bottom edge of your seatpost is about an inch BELOW the lowest top tube/seat tube weld or you'll eventually ruin your frame.

The minimum insertion line on the seatpost shows the min for the protection of the seatpost NOT for the protection of the frame.

If you can't run your seatpost so the bottom edge is about an inch BELOW the lowest top tube/seat tube weld then you oughta buy a longer seatpost ASAP.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Here's a 29er for you all. It's in my commuter mode right now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I was hoping Id be able to post here by now... but none are available. Guess I am stuck viewing the awesome pics of those here

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lowly_cook
    2 shots of my Fantom 29 pro.
    dudes- great pics but some of you dudes are running your seatposts are way too high
    yer gonna break yer seat tubes right in front at the top tube junction...buy a longer post fer chrissakes...
    It is possible for rice to absorb other odors in storage. Or could be the quality of water in it was prepared. Mahatma Rice

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Fantom Pro SL

Fantom Pro SL 29er

Photo taken on the first real ride at my local trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Motobecane Fantom Pro SL 29er

Front shot

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    My new Windsor Cliff 29 Pro
    Upgrades include:
    Titec Pluto Carbon Bars
    Titec RIP 3D Gold Stem
    Titec Pluto Carbon Seatpost
    Velo (Nashbar) Saddle
    Crank Bros Candy C Pedals
    Truvativ Alloy Outer Chainring
    Salsa Flipoffs Skewers (SS)
    WTB Weirwolf Grips

Edit...new pictures

No pictures visible!

SunnyDaze
    Jul 2009

My Fantom 29 Pro. She's an XL (21"). 100% Stock, except for the Scott Comp saddle, and the 400mm seatpost.
    Last edited by SunnyDaze; 08-13-2009 at 07:01 PM.
    Burn fat, not oil!

No-Brakes Cougar
    Here is my 2009 Fantom 29. Longer seatpost, BMX pedals with pins and Ergon grips are the only mods. Everything else is stock. This thing is a blast to ride and corners like it's on rails. Who knew weekends could be so much fun?
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    here is my fantom team, i swapped out the light wheels onto my hardtail and put a riser bar on and a longer seat post- the medium frame fits me well with this setup, even though i am just over 6'1"

mtbr member

nice!

Sweet! I like the shock boots... i did the same to mine.. helps a lot with dust protection.
    i love the smell of tri-flow in the morning......

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Just finishing up the final tweaking of my second Motobecane mountain bike...

I have $1770 into the bike right now for a Fantom Pro DS that I got off eBay in like new condition without any cable rub or anything. The $1770 includes the upgraded bars, stem, cranks, pedals, seat post, saddle, tires, grip, added a bottle cage and a computer. Here are the upgrades that I got...

bars - Ritchey WCS in gloss white to reduce weight and match better

stem - Thomson X4 90mm x10 degree rise to make the bike a bit quicker handling

cranks - Race Face Deus with X-type bb to reduce weight, increase stiffness, improve shifts

pedals - XTR M970 to keep weight down and keep with the XTR stuff

seat post - Crank Brothers Joplin adjustable with remote lever to make the bike more usable without interrupting riding for steep ascents or descents and without having to remove your hands from the bars

saddle - Selle Italia Max Flite Gel Flow to loose weight, increase comfort and match better

tires - Panaracer Fire XC Pro in 166 tpi with red side walls just cause I like them the best

grips - Lizard Skins Peaty lock on with red clamps for better feel, grip, and control

added a bottle cage and a computer.

The Thomson Elite X4 stem and XTR pedals haven't come in yet but those items won't change how it looks much at all. I really like the white with black and red accents. Usually I go for black bikes but this one came out looking really sweet in my opinion. My next bike has to be a LeChampion in titanium, then replace my steel hardtail with a Fly Team 29er (or maybe just add the 29er)....

Last edited by gdpolk; 09-16-2009 at 06:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    and alas with the new 90mm stem...

Category 5 Gnarricane

winnar!

^what the ****...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Good looking bike.

I ride bicycles sometimes
    WOW....ill wait to post mine...*runs crying...

Category 5 Gnarricane
    Quote Originally Posted by gdpolk
    Good looking bike.
    thanks man. nice looking fs moto you have there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jellytronics
    Thanks,
    I am really pleased with how it looks and rides.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jellytronics
    I think it looks better right after a good 3-3.5 hour ride. Especially since this ride introduced another guy to the sport and he is already asking when we can go again

mtbr member
    I got mine a few weeks ago, Windsor Cliff 29er Pro w/17" frame. Tora Race was very low on air and it took a week or so for the pump to come in that I ordered. Tomorrow is going to be the first real workout, and then a 3 day camp/ride next weekend. It feels great, is bone stock and weighs a little over 29# with the Xpedo pedals. I'm thinking of changing out the obvious parts (stem, bars, & seat post) to try save a little weight. I'd like to drop 3#'s or so, without spending a fortune. But from the few miles I've put on it so far, it rides a lot lighter than it's weight.

1995 Cannondale M500, Amp F3XC Fork
    1996 Scott Vertigo LSD (FS), Judy XC Fork
    2009 Windsor Cliff 29 Pro, RS Tora Race

I ride bicycles sometimes
    Some iPhone pics.

2009 Motobecane Fantom 29er
    Ritchey Comp II Seat
    Carbon BBB seatpost
    Carbon Giant 90mm Stem with Carbon Spacers
    Carbon Gravity Riser Bar
    Carbon Eclipse Brake Levers
    BMX Pedals
    Red Avid 7.5" Rotors
    Panaracer Rampage 29 (front)
    WTB MotoRaptor 29 (rear)
    BarTape Grips

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

700DS -- My first MTB

MTBing is a new sport for me. I've been a roadie for a few years (Motobecane Vent Noir), and figured I like that bike so much, I'd give Bikes Direct another try as I start to test my skills on the single track. I am not unhappy with my 700DS. There are a few things I'd change (and have), but for the most part... I am really please with the 700DS as my first off-road bike. Some pics:

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast