Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2008

pop loc on Fantom 29 Pro question

Ok, given that the directions are terrible, I installed the pop-loc which I thought was simple. I had the knob on the remote turn all the way to minus, pulled all of the slack out of the cable, and tightened the small allen bolt on the shock to grab the cable. As soon as I move the lock on the remote, I feel the tension, and it does lock. However, the shock is no different. I press down without it locked on the handlebars, and it moves easily, I then hit the lock, and the shock is just as easy to press. Did I miss anything? I did not touch the shcok at all when the bike came. Perhaps I missed something?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Anyone?

Frt Range, CO
    Mine works like you describe, except it makes a big difference when the lever is down. I assume the blue dial on top to the shock is turning as you push the poploc down?

edit: here's my levers, don't quote me on the poploc position....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pursuiter; 06-08-2008 at 01:43 PM.

mtbr member
    i think you mounted it backwards....as far as the OP's problem, does the fork itself have a lockout force adjuster? try turning the knob all the way as far as you can turn it by hand, not being pulled by the cable..ya know....it might be that the remote isnt' pulling enough cable to get the knob turned to the right spot...just a thought....

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by snobrder5
    i think you mounted it backwards....
    It's the only way it'll fit with the Avid levers if I want it between the shifter and the brake.

Here's a pix of the 2008 Motobecane Fantom Team Mountain with poploc on the bikesdirect.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I will try to turn it by hand to see if it locks form there. I was kind of thinking maybe there is not enough air in the shock for it to lock. Anyone think that is possible, or would it lock not matter how much air is in it when you turn the knob enough?

mtbr member
    ohhhhh dude you know i think i know what is wrong....i'm pretty sure the one they gave you is for Rock Shox rear shocks with the cable lockout...i bet you that's why it's not actuating....see if you look at the pic on BD's website, the little button to release the lockout is right in reach of your thumb...on the left side of the bar....BUT, on YOURS, when it's mounted on the left side of the bar, you have to reach ACROSS the blue knob to hit the buttom.....which tells me that lever is supposed to be mounted on the RIGHT side of the bar, for operation of the rear shock...if you mounted YOURS on the right side of the bar, that button would be in the right position....i'd say tell them they sent you the wrong part, and you want the right on...i know that the lock out levers on rear rock shox shocks don't really move that far...not NEARLY as much as i know the lock out knobs on the front forks do...that's what i think your prob is....

Frt Range, CO
    ohhhhh dude you know i think i know what is wrong.......that's what i think your prob is....
    I'll try to explain in your native language:

duuuude, it doesn't fit on the right side 'cause the Avid lever's bolt gets in the way...k?

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by desant89
    I will try to turn it by hand to see if it locks form there. I was kind of thinking maybe there is not enough air in the shock for it to lock. Anyone think that is possible, or would it lock not matter how much air is in it when you turn the knob enough?
    I don't know, but it can't hurt to try. My Tora came with 100lbs, the lock-out worked.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter
    I'll try to explain in your native language:

duuuude, it doesn't fit on the right side 'cause the Avid lever's bolt gets in the way...k?
    EDIT: ya know what, it's no sense trying to explain things to you moto guys...nevermind...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    ok, so my remote is the same as Pursuiters. I just looked at it. I can tell you this. After riding the bike for the first time, I just tried the loc again, and it DOES seem to make it stiffer. Far from a lockout, but I do see a difference now. Not sure what actually riding it had to do with it.....I was expecting a lockout to make it almost like there was no shock there at all (solid bar), is that a correct assumption or should it still give some? Perhaps now my problem is realted to the air in the shock. I have to go get a pump today at a local I guess. What do you guys think? Thanks for all the tips to this point also.

One more thind, the remote is definitely pulling the cable as much as possible. Once I lock it, I tried to pull the cable, and the lock on the shock will not move at all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    ok, so my remote is the same as Pursuiters. I just looked at it. I can tell you this. After riding the bike for the first time, I just tried the loc again, and it DOES seem to make it stiffer. Far from a lockout, but I do see a difference now. Not sure what actually riding it had to do with it.....I was expecting a lockout to make it almost like there was no shock there at all (solid bar), is that a correct assumption or should it still give some? Perhaps now my problem is realted to the air in the shock. I have to go get a pump today at a local I guess. What do you guys think? Thanks for all the tips to this point also.

One more thind, the remote is definitely pulling the cable as much as possible. Once I lock it, I tried to pull the cable, and the lock on the shock will not move at all.
    On my shock, lockout is a poor choice of a name. It makes it stiffer, but still flexible as you describe. I believe this is normal....

Fullmetal

BTW Pursuiter, what's with the attitude?
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Makes sense FullMetal. Good to hear. Did you pump yours up? I am not sure how much to pump mine. I am 250lbs..

Frt Range, CO
    ... What do you guys think?
    Pump it up!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I pumped it to 200. Still moves when locked, but is more stiff.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Makes sense FullMetal. Good to hear. Did you pump yours up? I am not sure how much to pump mine. I am 250lbs..
    I think my Rockshox Tora 318 came set up in the 80mm configuration. As such, I need somewhere between 200 and 220 psi (if memory serves), and I keep it at 200. That gives me about the right amount of sag. In the 100mm setup, I would set it around 180. Different pressures are recommended for the different setups. I weigh around 215 without a camelback.

On my shock, there is a table of recommended pressures painted on the shock. I think it only goes as high as 220psi, so check yours before airing it up. There may be a maximum.

I still need to get a shock pump. I've been using my 12v air compressor. I've gotta be quick on the switch, because it takes only a couple of pulses to top it off. I don't check it every ride, maybe only once a week or so.

I hope this helps,
    Fullmetal
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown

Frt Range, CO
    I pumped it to 200. Still moves when locked, but is more stiff.
    Sounds like it's working, as someone explained earlier, it doesn't lock, just makes the shock much stiffer. It is explained on page 8 of the manual:

"Lock Compression (fig 2)
    In the 'lock' position the Motion Control system allows for a small amount of controlled fork movement....

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks guys. I fell better knowing it is working as it should. I did look at the book, but missed that I guess.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Maybe this is stupid question but why would i need poplock? I didn't install it on my Moto.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    From what I see of how it works now, I have no idea why we put it on. I understand the concept of it. If you want to accelerate, it takes a lot of the power you are putting down, and is absorbing it into the shock as it compresses. Also for climbing I think I read is a good reason to use the lock. However, this lock almost does nothing as far as I am concerned. Anyone think it does them any good?
    If it actually locked up, then maybe, but as it stands now, not worth anything to me.

mtbr member
    i've always thought that selectable lockout's are far more effective for climbing when used on a rear shock, than on a front fork....i mean, i've never had my suspension bob up and down so much that it stopped me from making a climb....but maybe that's b/c i have good form and know how to pedal smoothly, and not bounce up and down on the bike as i'm climbing....honestly, front fork lockout's i think is a complete load of crap....on a rear shock, yes, up front, no....

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Here is a video showing how to set up the poploc. And snobrder can see that pursuiter has his installed correctly.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6eW-5A2wbbc
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    it was never a question of if pursuiter had it installed correctly, it was if the OP had it installed correctly...i was under the impression that the first set of pics was by the OP, not by pursuiter....

and just to reiterate, there are two different pop loc remotes, one for the front, one for the back..apparently they pull the same amount of cable, so they do function the same, but pursuiter IS running the wrong pop loc for the front fork..his unit is designed to be mounted on the right side of the bars, for operation of a rear shock.....just to point that out...the one in the pic from motobecane, and the one in the video, are correct....

Frt Range, CO
    pursuiter IS running the wrong pop loc for the front fork..his unit is designed to be mounted on the right side of the bars, for operation of a rear shock.....
    The only way I can install the poploc so I can manipulate it with my hands on the bars is the position it's in. If I want to install it "correctly" it doesn't work. The poploc lever hits the Avid brake levr's bolt before it locks. If I want it to work in the correct position, I need to change to combo levers, ~$80.

It's not really incorrect if it works (which it does). I have big hands (you know what they say, big hands, big...feet) and it's no problem for me to hit the lever/button.

Final point, now that I can access the poploc, I've found it useless. I can accellerate out of the saddle smoothly without compressing the forks too much, I like the longer travel, smoother ride all the time.

Cartographer
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter
    Final point, now that I can access the poploc, I've found it useless. I can [accelerate] out of the saddle smoothly without compressing the forks too much, I like the longer travel, smoother ride all the time.
    Interesting, I disagree. My riding style differs from you and I love the fact that I can lock it out. Acceleration is noticeably better when I have it locked out (on pavement at least). I haven't tried any climbs or trails with it yet (just got my bike) but I think it will be used quite often.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast