mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Please post your experience with the 2012 Fantom 29PRO SL (DynasSys 2x10)

We just ordered the "2012 Shimano DynaSys 2x10 Motobecane Fantom 29PRO SL" in a size 13 for my girlfriend. I really wanted to get her a titanium bike but BD doesn't make anything in her size (She's just shy of 5'4").

I've done a bit of searching around but can't find much in terms of reviews or discussion for this bike. Does anyone have this? What's your experience with it?
    Last edited by patrascu; 05-11-2012 at 08:08 AM. Reason: made the thread title more descriptive

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The frame looks good, took my version out today.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I picked one up in March. Love everything about it except the FSA crank/42T chainring. Not sure if it's from riding a SS for the last 1 1/2 and mashing the pedals or what, but the atleast half the teeth have damage from a little over 3 months of riding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please post your experience with the 2012 Fantom 29PRO SL (DynasSys 2x10)-prosl.jpg  

Single Speed - It's All About The Pain!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    DEmbry,

Thanks a lot for the reply. I was starting to wonder if anyone else with this bike was active on the forum. My girlfriend's bike is coming in tomorrow. Maybe she'll be more gentle with it and won't experience the same problems...

Have you contacted BD yet? You should definitely send them that picture and explain the situation. I'd be interested to hear what they are willing to do for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Just sent them an email, I'll let you know how it turns out.

SoCal Rider
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DEmbry View Post
    ...atleast half the teeth have damage from a little over 3 months of riding.
    Hi DEmbry, actually I checked out my FSA crankset (Fantom Pro Model), and the teeth look similar on the big chainring. About half of them look filed down. Also, after searching on Google Images, it seems this is normal? Guess I should take some pics of it before I hit the trails this weekend?

Let me know what BD responds with.

(look at the teeth on the top end of the big chainring in this pic)

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Pretty sure their going to laugh at me; the FSA Crank on my Girl Friends HT Pro looks the same.... Considering I haven"t had a bike with a front derailleur for a long time I'll take the ignorance hit.
    Last edited by DEmbry; 05-16-2012 at 05:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by preludedriven View Post
    Hi DEmbry, actually I checked out my FSA crankset (Fantom Pro Model), and the teeth look similar on the big chainring. About half of them look filed down. Also, after searching on Google Images, it seems this is normal? Guess I should take some pics of it before I hit the trails this weekend?

Let me know what BD responds with.

(look at the teeth on the top end of the big chainring in this pic)
    Got the Afterburner crank on both my 2011 Fly Ti 29er and my wife's 2011 Fantom Pro SL 29er. Both cranks have the same tooth pattern on the big chainring. My guess is it's normal. It probably has something to do with smooth gear changing...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Odiggy View Post
    Both cranks have the same tooth pattern on the big chainring. My guess is it's normal. It probably has something to do with smooth gear changing...
    Right on. A lot of cranks are like this, it facilitates faster shifting.
    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet." -Abraham Lincoln

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Glad everyone figured it out. We just received my girlfriend's bike today. I started putting it together and the tooth pattern on the cranks is the first thing I noticed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    How are you liking the 29PRO SL so far? Any issues during assembly? How's the 2x10?

Also, geometry on BD is the same for SL and no-SL but the pics look different?
    bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom29_pro_xii.htm
    bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom29pro_SL_xii.htm

Thanks for any info.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I apologize for not posting any updates.

I assembled the bike and everything worked perfectly out of the box. Even the derailleurs required almost no adjustment. However, we did have a problem with it and had to return it. The issue is that the size 13 just didn't fit my girlfriend properly. She felt (and looked) very uncomfortable on the bike. It seems that maybe there's a reason that very few 29ers are offered in that size. Instead, I found a 26er for her (the FLY TEAM 2x10 XTR). I know it will fit her properly (because the geometry is similar to her previous bike) and it's also 5.5lbs lighter. The new bike is coming tomorrow and the 29PRO SL is carefully packed and getting shipped back this afternoon.

As far as your question about frame geometry, I believe that two pictures are of different sizes of the same frame. The 13" frame, for instance, was flat across the entire top of the frame (all the way from the rear dropouts to the head tube). That may be one reason for why the bike fit my girlfriend so poorly. We took a lot of measurements and ask the BD support team for advice, so we were very surprised by this issue. But, in the end, we decided it just wasn't worth trying to "get used" to a bike that just wasn't made for her.

One more thing: BD has been very responsive and worked with us to get this bike returned. We paid the $50 in order to get a return label from BD and the bike is getting dropped off at UPS this afternoon.

SoCal Rider
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by davebikes View Post
    How are you liking the 29PRO SL so far? Any issues during assembly? How's the 2x10?

Also, geometry on BD is the same for SL and no-SL but the pics look different?
    bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom29_pro_xii.htm
    bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom29pro_SL_xii.htm

Thanks for any info.
    I noticed this with my SM 15.5" (Pro) frame. I compared it to my cousins LG 19" (Trail model), and the head tubes are the same size.

I thought my frame was defective, but Bikesdirect assured me that this is the way the Pro model frame is. Looking at their website, the PRO SL and Trail models have smaller head tubes than all of the others.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please post your experience with the 2012 Fantom 29PRO SL (DynasSys 2x10)-fantomheadtube.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Is that your small bike pic at the far right?

SoCal Rider
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lardo View Post
    Is that your small bike pic at the far right?
    Yes it is. Here is the entire pic: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23...B/IMG_0870.jpg

You'd think the Head Tube would be a lot smaller for a Small 15.5" frame. Oh well, guess this means I'll be looking for a new frame... *ahem Niner

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    What's the problem? I actually think it looks better when the down tube and top tube aren't touching.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by patrascu View Post
    I apologize for not posting any updates.

I assembled the bike and everything worked perfectly out of the box. Even the derailleurs required almost no adjustment. However, we did have a problem with it and had to return it. The issue is that the size 13 just didn't fit my girlfriend properly. She felt (and looked) very uncomfortable on the bike. It seems that maybe there's a reason that very few 29ers are offered in that size. Instead, I found a 26er for her (the FLY TEAM 2x10 XTR). I know it will fit her properly (because the geometry is similar to her previous bike) and it's also 5.5lbs lighter. The new bike is coming tomorrow and the 29PRO SL is carefully packed and getting shipped back this afternoon.

As far as your question about frame geometry, I believe that two pictures are of different sizes of the same frame. The 13" frame, for instance, was flat across the entire top of the frame (all the way from the rear dropouts to the head tube). That may be one reason for why the bike fit my girlfriend so poorly. We took a lot of measurements and ask the BD support team for advice, so we were very surprised by this issue. But, in the end, we decided it just wasn't worth trying to "get used" to a bike that just wasn't made for her.

One more thing: BD has been very responsive and worked with us to get this bike returned. We paid the $50 in order to get a return label from BD and the bike is getting dropped off at UPS this afternoon.
    Hey, can you tell me more about the "fit" issue you describe? My wife is 5'0" and has ridden and liked a 15.5" Fisher/Trek 29er. The 13" Fantom 29 pro SL looks like it'd work for her.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughtime View Post
    Hey, can you tell me more about the "fit" issue you describe? My wife is 5'0" and has ridden and liked a 15.5" Fisher/Trek 29er. The 13" Fantom 29 pro SL looks like it'd work for her.
    I'm not sure how much help I can be but the bottom line is that it just didn't feel comfortable to her. I also tried it out (even though it is much too small for me) just to try to get an idea of what she was experiencing. To me, it felt very "squishy". Even though the fork was properly aired up, it was almost impossible to pedal standing up. I think the geometry was very awkward in order to fit the 29" wheels. By contrast, she is extremely happy with the 26" Fly Team. You might find that your wife will like the 29er but, having seen, and ridden, both bikes, I highly recommend the the Fly Team.

EDIT: There are a lot of 27.5 bikes coming out now. This may be an option for your wife if she really has something against 26". I think 29" is just way too big for someone of that height. It requires too many trade-offs and just isn't worth it in the end.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    yeah, it's tough without trying it first to know if it's what she wants or not. i'm trying to "standardize the fleet" and do all 29ers too so that's part of it.

can you repost the picture of the bike? the link says the picture has been removed. thanks.