mtbr member

Please help me pick a frame size for Moto 29er

Looking at the Fly Team 29" Ti. I'm 6'3" 180 lbs with a 34" pant inseam.

This is my first 29er, I hear people often fit a size smaller on a 29er than they normally do on 26er. At my local Trek dealer, the salesperson said I I fit the 21" superfly. But at the Fezzari shop they said I fit their 19" 29er.

My use would be XC singletrack fun, Xterra races, XC races.

Think I would fit a 19" or a 21" moto? anyone my size have any experience here?

mtbr member
    Well, I can tell you that I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam, about 175 lbs, and I bought the 19. It fits perfect. If anything I would *maybe* shorten the stem a hair, so you might be able to get away with it. However, the stem it comes with (at least the one I bought) is quite long already at 120mm, just fyi if it ended up being too small.
    Also, I do believe the geo is fairly similar to the Superfly, so if a 21 Superfly fit, that might be the way to go. You can always shorten the stem.

mtbr member
    Thanks for sharing your experience. What kind of handlebars did yours come with? Flat or riser? Width and any sweep? Anyone else 6"3" I'd love to hear what frame fits you. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Flat bar with like a 5 degree sweep or something like that. They were only 560mm wide, which I didn't like (and a lot of people have complained about the handlebar width on the Motobecane bikes), so I swapped them with Forte Carbon ones from Performance Bike which are like 680mm (actually a little wide now, but I just need to cut them down a bit), and have a decent rise to them. If you like wide handlebars (like 90% of the mtb community), add in the cost of some to the purchase price of the bike. Everything else is solid, though I did swap the seatpost for a Forte carbon one as well... just because they were having a ridiculous sale. Eventually I'd love to trick it out with a titanium seatpost and stem, maybe even titanium bars. But that gets expensive.
    I've taken the bike on some pretty nasty rides here in NM, rocky as hell, and have pounded the thing pretty good, but the wheels and components and frame are all holding up great. You won't be disappointed. The bike is FAST.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Im 6'2"....and just got the fs fantom pro 29 size large 52cm...which is about 20.5"...the bike size is perfect but i am a tad stretched out on it...i put 680mm riser bars on it to raise it a bit and the stock bars are stupid narrow...still stretched out so i think im gonna swap out the 130mm stem for a 60-70mm...id say youd prolly be good with either the 19 or 21....your gonna hafta tweak it either way u go.