mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Please help guys...which 29er is the best deal from BD for under a grand

Like the title says...I'm a newb and get thrown off by most of the details. I was looking through them all and I think this one is best... Windsor Cliff 29R PRO

Mountain Bikes - 29er MTB - Windsor Cliff 29 PRO

Thoughts?

Zero Miles from Myself
    The way I look at it ... get the most bike with the best fork you can afford form them. Things that are hard to upgrade (cost wise) are wheelsets, forks, maybe frames. If you get a lite frame / fork / wheel you can build on that.

I think probably anything with a Reba RL on it is a good bet. And it seemed to me the best bang for the buck is the Gravity 29.5. A bit over your budget, but would save you when you start to upgrade.

mtbr member
    Agreed. I was in your situation and stretched by budget to 1099 and brought home a Moto X9. As this was my first bike with any suspension, I was unwilling to compromise for a bike with anything less a fork than a Reba RL. Don't regret it, great bike!

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom 29PRO

Zero Miles from Myself
    And Keep in mind ... if you settle for less than a Reba (and I use Reba as the example because it is basically the top offering from BD) ... if you settle for less than a Reba and want to upgrade to something lighter ... it is going to cost you $450+

The lighter fork makes for longer riding days with less upper body fatigue due to not having to lift that extra weight up and over obstacles IMO

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    that makes great sense. The reason I picked the Windsor because it was the cheapest with a Recon Fork. So basically thinking the same, except you guys are taking one step higher than I am. If I decide to go the Reba route...which is the best Reba 29er available....Gravity 29.5 or Moto X9?
    Last edited by Mountain916; 05-29-2012 at 08:26 PM.

mtbr member
    That's been thrown back and forth. I'd say component wise, they're pretty much on par with each other. The big difference that people bring up the that on the gravity, you have a bit more of a slack head tube angle (69.8) as opposed to the Moto (72 degrees). This makes the Moto a bit more aggressive of a style, while the gravity might have you sitting slightly more upright. I'm not an expert on bike geometry so maybe somebody can speak more to that point.

Zero Miles from Myself
    The OP asked, "what is the best deal" ... not "what rides best for my riding style"

Anyway ... If I remember right the Gravity also has shorter chain stays and shorter wheelbase. Longer wheel bases do not lift as easy. But you are correct, Gravity is more slack, Moto is more aggressive. Depends on what you want with that. But I do know that if you want to "test ride" a Gravity, go out and ride a Trek Cobria or Superfly HT Al. The Treks geo is almost exactly the same as the Gravity geo. Only diff is a point 2 degree diff in the head tube angle. (and of coarse material used to some degree)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrm1 View Post
    The OP asked, "what is the best deal" ... not "what rides best for my riding style"
    Ok then, so which is the best deal in your opinion? I gave my answer above.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    What is meant by more slack? I rode a Trek Cobia today and loved the fit. The Gravity has about the same geo, so the Gravity Point 5 may do fine for me?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    916? Are you from Sacramento?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yes I am...Natomas to be exact.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Gravity has rack mounts on the rear, if you ever camp or whatnot. I went with a 29point5 and am very happy. I probably would have been happy with the fantom, too.

Zero Miles from Myself
    Quote Originally Posted by ZmyDust View Post
    Ok then, so which is the best deal in your opinion? I gave my answer above.
    Ummmm ... I think I answered that in post #2

Zero Miles from Myself
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstar View Post
    What is meant by more slack? I rode a Trek Cobia today and loved the fit. The Gravity has about the same geo, so the Gravity Point 5 may do fine for me?
    Head tubes are designed and placed on the bike in degrees. 90* would be a head tube that is completely vertical up and down. So 69.2 would be more slack that 71*. Head tube angle effects steering. The more slack, the less aggressive and perhaps the more the bike will tend to wander in the turns. But bike geometry is a pretty personal thing: one persons pain is another's pleasure.

So if the Gravity is in your budget, based on the numbers, it should ride pretty much like the Trek Cobria. I had the shop weigh a medium Cobria and it come in at nearly 31 lbs. From what i read the 29.5 weighs around 28-30 out of the box. In another thread a member weighed a large frame at just over 4 lbs. Part for part, the Gravity 29.5 is much more bike than the Cobria. (some call BD bikes Part hangers)

But remember ... if you order from BD, you do have to do your own wrenching. First time assembly is pretty straight forward. But then there is little things like cable adjustments etc. Again all pretty easy, but be prepared for it if you want the bike to ride at its best. If you cannot do the assembly, I think shops will do it starting at around $50 ... so another cost to factor in.
    Last edited by mrm1; 05-30-2012 at 08:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the input fellas, but 1100 is too much for me at this point. My question is about the Windsor that I mentioned in the original post. What's the geometry similar too and would the frame be comparable to the Motobecane or Gravity as far as weight goes?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Windsor looks a like shorter and steeper than the Gravity. No rack mounts.

The parts and fork should be ok for general trail riding. There's less adjustability with the Recon/XC fork. The Shimano drivetrain should shift very reliably though, I wouldn't worry about that.

Zero Miles from Myself
    And also, notice the difference between the Gold versions and the Silver versions of what ever RS Fork is on the bike. I Believe the Gold version have aluminum steers and the Silvers have the heavier Steel Steers FWIW.