mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Picked up a new 700HT at Cycle Spectrum

Well, I went to test ride a 700HT Friday so I could know if I liked the bike before ordering one online and realized that Cycle Spectrum charges the same as their bikesdirect site. Well, it was $490, but I am in Texas and had to pay sales tax. I think it came out to $530.42...I think. I thought they charged the full $1095 MSRP. I was very happy to see that wasn't the case. I've never really wrenched on a bike, so was a bit leary about ordering one.

So far, I really like the bike. I do wish there were options for frame color. I would love a white one or a flat black 700HT.

So anyway...this is my frist mtb. I came from a Specialized road bike. I had a small budget, but wanted decent components and this bike had it. It rides well, soaks up the bumps well. The real test will be when I can get off road with it. It just needs to warm up a bit.

Oh, yeah...Cycle Spectrum gives free service for life and will do any installs free as long as I buy my components from them. Sounds good to me. I knew about the lifetime warranty on the bike, but had no clue about the service if purchased there.

And yes, this is my first post, but no I am not associated with Cycle Spectrum or bikesdirect.

Bushwacker
    "Oh, yeah...Cycle Spectrum gives free service for life and will do any installs free as long as I buy my components from them."

That is sweet.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Very. Their shop isn't as close to me as some other LBSs, but I'll make the trek for that. Well, unless it is urgent and I am next to another shop.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    The Cycle Spectrum I bought my bike from is an hour and a half away, but its definitely worth it for the free service!

Before I bought my Fantom Trail I was planning in getting the 700HT. How do you like yours? I changed my mind when I walked into the shop a second time and decided to spend a bit more haha

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    An hour and a half?? Wow. I guess the amount in gas you are spending would equal the amount you would be spending on service at a closer shop.

I like it so far. Haven't gotten too much riding time out of it yet. We'll see how I feel after a few more miles.

I do plan to change a couple of things on the bike, though. The stem, handlebars and seat post. Never heard of Skye and can't seem to find any reviews on their stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Now with pictures.

Bushwacker
    Quote Originally Posted by Santorin
    I do plan to change a couple of things on the bike, though. The stem, handlebars and seat post. Never heard of Skye and can't seem to find any reviews on their stuff.
    I regularly see new owners of mid to lower range Moto bikes spend small fortunes on these types of components and leave the Dart fork and/or rear Kind Shock alone. IMO these suspension pieces are the weakest link on these bikes and could be replaced w/something decent for the same or a little more money. To each his own tho I guess.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkonian
    I regularly see new owners of mid to lower range Moto bikes spend small fortunes on these types of components and leave the Dart fork and/or rear Kind Shock alone. IMO these suspension pieces are the weakest link on these bikes and could be replaced w/something decent for the same or a little more money. To each his own tho I guess.
    I have been looking at some Fox forks because I have been riding a friend's Litespeed with a Fox fork and it is very nice. While it is nice, I feel the Dart 2 seems to be fine for now for what I am using the bike. I don't have a rear shock so I don't have to worry about that.

So, you don't think the Skye components need to be changed? I don't know how they hold up, nor have I been able to find any information or a website for the company through my google searches.

Bushwacker
    I'm about 225 with gear and have been riding the Skye stem since 1-2008 without any issues. I did swap in a different seat post but only because I needed more offset and a saddle adjustment option.
    The Dart is ok, I use it till recently when I upgraded to a Tora 318 U-Turn. The Tora feels like I am running a new and way better bike. No comparison. I found it on E-bay brand new with remote poploc for $249. I think the Tora Air 318's can be found for less than $200. Nothing wrong with running the Dart if you want. I recall some guy with a 700 DS that spent over $500 on stems, seat posts etc and didn't upgrade the suspension system. That's doing it ass backwards in my opinion. That was my point. Nothing wrong with spending afew bucks on this or that I guess.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Wow! I wouldn't go crazy spending $500 on that stuff. I was looking at maybe $150 at the most, but if the Skye stuff is holding up, I may not change those things. I'll definitely check out the Tora Air 318.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Does anyone know what the weight is on this bike? I've searched, but I think my searching skills suck a big one.