mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Phantom Pro Ti 71 degree head angle too lazy?

I'm looking at this bike and am super interested yet the 71 degree head angle makes me think that the bike will be a bit sluggish with the 100mm front fork.

Most bike companies use 69.5 to 70 about 99% of the time so I'm curious how slowly this handles. Any info from people who race this bike please?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have never, ever heard any racers say they didn't podium or DNF'd because their bike's head-tube angle was too slack.

Besides, a lower head-tube angle figure means a slacker head-tube angle - so a 71-degree head-tube angle is steeper than 69.5/70.0.
    Last edited by Bends But Doesn't Break; 10-18-2008 at 07:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDoger
    I'm looking at this bike and am super interested yet the 71 degree head angle makes me think that the bike will be a bit sluggish with the 100mm front fork.

Most bike companies use 69.5 to 70 about 99% of the time so I'm curious how slowly this handles. Any info from people who race this bike please?
    I'm a bit confused. 71 degrees is steeper than the 70 degree average you stated, so therefore the Phantom will steer quicker than the average bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ohhhh, I had it the other way around then. Gotcha.

I've just been looking for a new hardtail and 71 seemed out of the ordinary. I'm sure people can win races with the angle, but since I'm used to the "average" feel of xc bike and it appears to be 70 degrees I was just wondering.

So then this would bring up the front end instead and react quicker. Interesting. Wouldn't that make it too sensitive to slight turning of teh handlebars and more unstable at high speeds? I have nothing against the brand, I'm just curious before spending. Can't find a better deal.

Thanks for the responses.

mtbr member
    71deg will be a bit quicker, but not a drastic change. XC bikes used to be standardized even steeper with 71.5 to 72deg head angles until the last few years

mtbr member
    Huh? 71 is not slow at all, pretty much the standard for XC bikes.

It also seems to me that 71 degree is for this frame with a 80mm fork that was used previously. I feel my Fly Ti with 100mm SID is around 70 - did not measure it. It is also speced with a fairly long stem.

Fairly nice geometry overall.