mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Patiently waiting

Took long break from riding due to travel, work, and two young kids and I got the itch to hit the trails again. Busted out and put back together my "Budget" Airborne Ti that I have been extremely happy with. It was decked out with the best components at that time.

I have been hitting the trails steadily for over a month now and noticed a bunch of 29ers on the trail. I decided to start investigating a total rebuild of my bike when I stumbled across the Motobecane website and how impressive the component packages were. I pulled the trigger (PreOrder) on the FlyTeam 29 XX package and now I patiently wait its arrival.

If I get half the quality rides I got on my other "Budget" bike, I will be one happy camper.

Im new to 29'ers, new to the site, but at age 41 Im not new to the trails and I have found that smile on my face again while I pain my way up a big climb.

I should have gotten back in a few years ago.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    received confirmation that it has shipped!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I've been so busy lately I had not had a chance to update on the purchase
    Package arrived and was easy to assemble. I have built bikes in the past from the ground up so the simple tasks of mounting the brakes, handlebars, rims and seat were very easy. Gave her a quick tune up and she was ready. I have to say the shifting was almost perfect when I put it together so it only needed minor tweaking.

I have been on her for a few weeks and I am very impressed. Took a little while getting use to the size of the 29 in wheels. Not as nimble as my 26 but she sure does roll over everything in her way. Took a little while to also get use to the 2X10 vs my 3X9 drive train but the gearing is perfect.

Bike is very light but it is obvious some of that gain is from the Kenda small block 8's and super thin tubes. Blew one out through a rock garden within the first two rides. Im ok with the Kendas for now but I know once the leaves are down and the trail is a little wet I will be needing something with more grip.

She is a beast on the climbs and I have gotten through some rough steep climbs that I wasn't able to do on my 26.

Overall I am very happy with this purchase. Price was right for top of the line components and I am super impressed with the SRAM XX drive train. I have always been a XTR fan but components have come a long way since my last bike purchase. Very impressed!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    One month later with about 4-5 rides a week on the FlyTeam 29

everything has been pretty solid expect the disc brakes (Avid XX) from day one have been a bit squeaky. Any suggestions?

Front Vuelta Rim went quite a bit out of true today.