mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Outcast26 owners...

I purchased a new 17" model last year & never have had a chance to ride it until today. After just a few minutes of riding on the paved roads at the local college to try out the fixed gear side of the hub, the headset started clunking with a ton of play. Pulled it apart and found the top bearing of the headset was missing & must have never been installed. The bottom bearing is there & so is every other part of the headset except for the top bearing. The bottom cup of the headset has etched "mfg by th industries for cane creek". I can't find any of my paperwork where I bought it (ebay) or find any info about the outcast 26 on the motobecane website. If anyone has headset info for this model I could sure use it. There is no Motobecane dealer for 100 miles. I went to "bike tools etc" website but I don't know enough to figure out what to order except that the fork has a 1 1/8" steerer tube and the bottom retainer style bearing has (20) 5/32" balls in it. I don't how how to determine which new headset to buy or what bearing I need. Help Please ! ! !

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    If you take your bottom bearing to a local bike store, they should be able to give you a matching one. Also you could just order an entire new headset. You will need to figure out what type you have (conventional, integrated or semi-integrated), if you post a picture it would be easy to tell. But you would need to know how to take the old cups out of the frame, press the new ones in, and remove the crown race on the fork, and put the new crown race on. None of this is difficult, but you need to buy the right tools, or make your own (there are lots of instructions on the web telling you how to make tools for these procedures).
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    ljsmith, thanks for the help. Dave