mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Outcast 29er? 2012

I was looking forward to trying a SS but this was soldout for some time. Does bikesdirect.com have any plans to restock or release a new SS 29er with a front suspension? Or should I begin looking elsewear. Seems hard to find a bike that comes close to the Motobecane Outcast 29er.

mtbr member

No outcasts amigo

yeah, all that is available is a rigid windsor SS. I bought a 2011 outcast..I luv it!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The 2012 Outcast 29 is in stock now. I ordered mine today.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    You ordered the one with the recon fork?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yes. I've been looking at Single Speed 29ers for a while. I liked the ability to add a tear derailer and the fork was a nice addition.

Anxiously Awaiting.

mtbr member
    I took my Outcast on the trails the other day~been riding steadily for about a year on it. I put a rear der. on and its a 1x9. I am planning on making it a 2x9 soon. The bike is great. I added better stem/handlebar combo...the original hb was too narrow and the stem was too upright for me....got a 31.8 stem and 660mm wide bar (both Sette brand). I like the fact that I could revert back to a single speed rather easily with the sliding dropouts. Njoy the bike dude...I'll post up some updated pics.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'd love to some pics whenever you get a chance. I'll do the same once I get mine built up.

mtbr member
    OK amigo, here's the slightly updated version for you. It's a bad cellphone pic, but you get the idea. Rode her today up at Blanket's Creek..she just had a bath.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Hey folks, lemme know how you like the Recon fork. I have the Dart 3....would like something a bit lighter....Dart 3 is a decent fork, but its noisy and it can't be truly "locked out". I haven't bottomed it out yet, but haven't ridden that section of the trails that has some good drops. The Dart handles roots and rocks well enough, but I squint when it do some 1 to 2 foot jumps on it. LOL...I luv MTB! I'm thinking bout converting the outcast back to ss and getting an AM 29er setup.....and Christmas is lurking around the corner..........

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    If your looking for something geared, I just got this black Friday deal from BD on Facebook.

Save up to 60% off new 29er Mountain Bikes - Motobecane 9Iron Elite CrMoly steel

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Still working on pics of mine. So far I like the Recon but haven't ridden on anything technical yet. I'm still working on getting it dialed in.

Had a question about changing the gearing. I replaced the 42T with the 33T. However, even with the rear axle pulled all the way back, it's still too long. Are you just supposed to remove links? If so, how many did y'all remove?

mtbr member

New question here. How's the lockout on the Recon?

I'm interested in getting the 2012 as my 2010 Outcast was Stolen!!

How's the lockout on the Recon fork? Does it really feel like a rigid fork when engaged?

I have a geared FS bike with a Reba. The lockout doesn't really lockout completely. The fork still has some minimal bob and feels sloppy when engaged. It's no biggie on an FS rig - but a deal killer on a single speed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Sucks about your bike getting stolen!

Even when locked out, the fork still has some 'play' in it. It is definately less, but is still there. Even so, I really like my setup so far.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hey Fishging,

Any updates or pics on the Outcast? How'd the sizing work out for you?

I'm a pretty avid road biker and ride fixie for whipping my tail into shape in the early months of the season. I love the idea of single-speeds, and am just teetering on the edge of pulling the trigger on a 2012 Outcast. It'll be my first mountain bike since a sold my hardtail 26er 7 or 8 years ago to fund my road bike addiction.

Any buyer's remorse? Anything you regret?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Well, I pulled the trigger on a 2012 Outcast today. I'll be able to answer my own questions in a few days. Wasn't too sure on the sizing, but I've read that the effective top tube is a little short for a 29er, so I went with the 21 size. I compared the geometry to my road bikes (how's that for apples to oranges?) And figured the Outcast geometry was smaller all around, so I'd be fine. Plus, it's my first mountain bike since I've started caring about such things so I won't know the difference anyway.

I'll report back in a few days. Now to start shopping for some mountain shoes...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Any update? How are you liking your new Outcast? I'm really considering this as an el cheapo addition to the stable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gdkeys View Post
    Any update? How are you liking your new Outcast? I'm really considering this as an el cheapo addition to the stable.
    I took it out on some very rocky, technical trail on Saturday and some smooth fast single-track with the occasional root garden on Sunday. I've gotta say I'm loving it. Saturday I mangled the bash guard and broke a spoke. I'm also 220 lbs with gear on and not exactly the smoothest rider. I'm planning to eventually upgrade both the bash guard and the wheelset anyway, but if you ride hard in rocky areas and want to keep it stock, carry a spare spoke?

The handlebars strike me as wicked narrow, and from what I've read around this board, most people run 680 to 700 to as wide as 720 mm bars, so plan to upgrade those, too.

Immediately upon assembly I put the 33t chain ring provided on the crank. I wish it would have come with a 32 tooth ring, but maybe I just need to build more leg strength. I found myself hopping off the bike on some of the steeps that I'd like to think I could have just powered up.

No quick-release on the seat post... found that odd for a mountain bike. That was my first upgrade.

Definitely recommend clipless pedals for the single-speed. I road with the Wellgo platforms for my initial shakedown ride because I didn't have mountain shoes (just a couple pair of road shoes). Shopped around and picked up some shoes and what a difference being clipped in makes with being able to make the pedals go 'round on hills!f

That's about all I've got. All-in-all I'm loving the bike. It's my only mountain bike (in addition to 2 road bikes) and I like the idea of the single speed helping me build leg strength (though I am a little worried about it affecting my cadence).

Low Rep Count
    Oh it will help make you stronger for sure. During the summer when I am riding daily, I am normally keeping up with if not ahead of half of my geared counter parts. Its simple and quite pleasant to not have to worry about all that chain rattling, shifting...bs. I rode mine for a year before picking up a new frame recently and was quite happy. Below is a picture of it before it got torn down and rebuilt on my Vassago. Also, take a look at this thread I made not too long ago about my review of the frame and an area of interest.

Update on my moto review
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Outcast 29er? 2012-dsc_0362.jpg  

mtbr member

My Outcast29

Here it is! Its set up as a 2x9! Rides great. I had to go through 3 different FD's to find the right one to fit my crankset....shimano 667 high clamp. Love the low gear.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Love the simplicity of SS but wondering if a newb at MTBing like myself would find it difficult to to navigate off road terrain without easier gears? I like the idea of also adding gears in the future but wondering if I could get more bang for buck buying a higher priced Moto instead of starting at the SS and slowing upgrading as I gain experience. Wondering what others experience has been in this route.

mtbr member
    Darth, from my experience, it would be better to start off with gears when wanting to go off-road for the first time. The single-speed experience is good, but unless you have "quads from the gods", you won't enjoy riding hills/technical terrain. Go with the gears first to see if you even like biking. If you do, then keep riding the gears and get stronger. I went ss first and my first ride offroad was harsh. I had parts lying around for a geared setup, so I went 1x9 for a few months....I decided that after riding that for a while, I'd like a "granny gear" so i could really do some good climbing.....soooooo my setup went to a 2x9. Thats my current status and I love it. Yes, the outcast is cheaper, but if you havent been riding single in a hilly, more technical arena, u may not enjoy getting gassed before you really get started. Spend a bit more, get more gears, and enjoy the ride. Welcome to the family!
    Rub some dirt on it and walk it off!